Nvidia Reflex

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
lossofmercy

Nvidia Reflex

Post by lossofmercy » 01 Sep 2020, 17:07

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cXg7GQogAE
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/ne ... -platform/

NVIDIA Reflex SDK: A new set of APIs for game developers to reduce and measure rendering latency. By integrating directly with the game, Reflex Low Latency Mode aligns game engine work to complete just-in-time for rendering, eliminating the GPU render queue and reducing CPU back pressure in GPU intensive scenes. This delivers latency reductions above and beyond existing driver-only techniques, such as NVIDIA Ultra Low Latency Mode.

“NVIDIA Reflex technology arms developers with new features to minimize latency in their games. We’re seeing excellent responsiveness and player control with Fortnite running on the GeForce RTX 30 Series.” - Nick Penwarden, VP of Engineering, Epic Games.

“Valorant was designed from the beginning to be a precise, competitive FPS, and that means doing everything we can to ensure crisp, responsive gameplay. With GeForce RTX 30 Series and NVIDIA Reflex technology, we're able to serve players around the world with the lowest render latency possible.” - Dave Heironymus, Director of Technology - Valorant / Riot Games

NVIDIA Reflex will deliver latency improvements in GPU-intensive gaming scenarios on GeForce GTX 900 and higher NVIDIA graphics cards in top competitive games, including Fortnite, Valorant, Apex Legends, Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Warzone, and Destiny 2.

With popular mid-range cards, like the GeForce GTX 1660 Super, gamers can expect up to a 33% improvement in PC responsiveness with Reflex. Add in a GeForce RTX 3080 and a 360Hz G-SYNC esports display, and gamers can play like the pros with the very lowest latency possible.

PS: Being able to measure your latency through your monitor sounds pretty slick.

SEJB

Re: Nvidia Reflex

Post by SEJB » 02 Sep 2020, 00:58

Honestly this release from NVidia is impressive. The software stack seems to improve and encompass more things while AMD seems stuck.

At this rate I'll probably get an Nvidia card for my next upgrade again.

deama

Post by deama » 02 Sep 2020, 16:40

So will this be something you can enable for games like ultra low latency or will it be something the devs can use to help reduce input lag?

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 02 Sep 2020, 17:51

deama wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 16:40
So will this be something you can enable for games like ultra low latency or will it be something the devs can use to help reduce input lag?
Pretty sure the game devs have to add it, I think it's functionally equivalent to using an in-game framerate cap, at least in terms of the mechanism by which it reduces latency. So instead of whatever timer you call to implement the framerate cap, you call nvidia's new thingy, and it adds enough of a delay you don't fill the buffers. Presumably it adjusts the delay to keep the GPU close to full load instead of at a fixed framerate like a normal framerate cap.

I'm somewhat curious how much this will cut the latency of normal v-sync.

Not sure about the latency measurement tools. It should be effective for comparing different games and settings, but I don't trust it for mouse or monitor latency.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 02 Sep 2020, 20:09

I'm in the "wait and see" group myself. Lots of unknowns, but potentially revolutionary, at least where user-accessible input lag measurements are concerned. "Potentially" being the key word ;). Execution, accuracy, and its availability across games would be key there.

As for a possibly more consistent or automatic elimination of the pre-rendered frames queue (via something effectively like an adaptive FPS limit/frametime target based on the current GPU usage maybe?), honestly a little less impressive (since it is already basically achievable with fixed FPS caps, as Sparky pointed out), but welcome nonetheless.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

lossofmercy

Post by lossofmercy » 03 Sep 2020, 15:01

Honestly, so long as nvidia implements it well, they have enough information to get ms accurate measurement of latency. It will need to be independently verified of course, but they have all the information to be able to display accurate frame times.

Anyway, proof is in the pudding for how much latency it cuts down. Any improvement is good.

deama

Post by deama » 03 Sep 2020, 20:23

I doubt it will do much, but it might be useful for people who can't or just don't want to disable stuff like the dwm, or optimize their setup.

Unixko

Post by Unixko » 03 Sep 2020, 21:25

deama wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 20:23
I doubt it will do much, but it might be useful for people who can't or just don't want to disable stuff like the dwm, or optimize their setup.
deama you and your dwm huge killer xD
nobody disable this shit on W10 nobody cares about that for some reason you belive in dmw like is god water

deama

Post by deama » 04 Sep 2020, 10:25

Unixko wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 21:25
deama wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 20:23
deama you and your dwm huge killer xD
nobody disable this shit on W10 nobody cares about that for some reason you belive in dmw like is god water
It's 10 extra ms of input lag that could relatively easily be disabled, and that's on a 120hz monitor, it's extra 16-18ms if on a 60hz.
Nvidia probably could write something to bypass that or force dwm off when playing a game, without having to deal with either disabling dwm yourself completely, or trying to make games work in fullscreen exclusive mode.

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 04 Sep 2020, 11:01

deama
2-3 games in which input lag is important and which cannot work in efs. not worth it every time you mention: the need to disable dwm. I think that's exactly what Unixko wanted to say.
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.