Question Please help with understanding FPS stability issue in Competitive Gaming - Fortnite on High End PC

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
BTRY B 529th FA BN

Re: Question Please help with understanding FPS stability issue in Competitive Gaming - Fortnite on High End PC

Post by BTRY B 529th FA BN » 17 Sep 2020, 10:57

tl:dr

Do you notice this all the time or are there maps that stress the system that influence the drop to 20fps?

UT4 (same engine) has maps that run extremely well like Cheops, where-as the map Quest is brutal to all extreme systems.

EDIT: could there be an over-heating issue?

EDIT2: Also with UT4 4v4 runs great, when you get into 5v5 the game becomes extremely unpredictable, this is due only to the game being pre-alpha but I wouldn't be surprised if epic/fortnite still has issues never worked out that were being tested with epics guinea pig UT4, the series that brought them the fame they ride on now.

Enjoy your ban from Apple, tim sweeney

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Question Please help with understanding FPS stability issue in Competitive Gaming - Fortnite on High End PC

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Sep 2020, 14:35

TIGEREXPERT wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 19:54
WOW ! Thank you very much. You just helped me solve an issue I thought was inherent to the game itself when moving the mouse slowly, the image always vibrating. I actually thought it was either coming from the game or the monitor.

I just tested the 400DPI with 80% sensitivity in Fortnite and the image vibration/jittery effect increased drastically. It's exactly what I experienced with 800DPIx20%, but at a much higher magnitude. I also tested 3200PI with 5% (and 1600DPI with 10%), and it really feels very smooth, like exactly the way I was expecting the game to be in the first place. Never thought it was related to the DPI (no more vibrating).

It is very clear, thanks a lot! I am going to switch to 1600DPI. Then will get a newer mouse (with better sensors, non-interpolated rate, stable polling rate).
Interesting that it was the mouse DPI that was causing some of your framerate stability issue!?

Yeah, low mouse DPI can definitely "sabotage" slowturn framerate in the way that I have described. But the way you've described FPS stability, made me think it wasn't mouse DPI.

Are there other FPS stability issues you have, or was it definitely 100% mouse-DPI related for you? Or was just one layer of the "stutter onion"? (Like an onion, there are many layers of stutter weak links, GPU, game, mouse, etc).

Honestly, the "I'm staying at 400dpi" parrot crowd needs to really properly try 1600dpi at quarter-sensitivity on the newest, most modern sensors. Even 3200dpi at eighth sensitivity. Same turnspeed, but much smoother slowturns. And generally no drawbacks if you're using a good mouse sensor, clean undamaged mouse feet, good mousepad texture. New sensors now can do 1600dpi with no latency over 400dpi, and you're just sabotaging framerate just to keep the mouse cursor at normal speed in Windows -- you can simply use a DPI switch button or a mouse profile that automatically activates when launching a game.

There may be some who prefer the steppy-steppy turns (like the tickmarks of a ruler), but most hate that, and the steppy-steppy is a framerate sabotage, anyway.

Also, I understand sometimes it's a UX experience (mouse cursor too-fast problems in menus) games need different sensitivity sliders for menu-based mouse cursors than for mouseturns (much like the game has different mouse sensitivity settings for first-person view versus gunscope-view) -- so that menu cursor slows down (400dpi feel), but mouse slowturns stay a high-resolution (high 1600dpi DPI feel). And some games may not have fine-enough sensitivity adjustments because you have to crank sensitivity really low in many older games, to take advantage of ultra-high DPI, and the adjacent steps in a slider bar may create large mousefeel changes. Game developers need to make the mouse sensitivity slider bar longer or adjust in fractions, especially for newer ultrahigh-DPI sensors coming like that publicized 25600dpi Logitech sensor.

Eventually, Blur Busters needs to write a Mouse Guide Version 2.0 to explain mouse DPI / mouse poll Hz problems in this refresh rate race to retina refresh rates. Ultra-high native DPI (1600dpi+) and ultra-high native pollrates (>1000Hz) is needed as resolutions expand & refresh rates increase. esports of year 2030-2040 might sue 4K 1000Hz displays, for example, which makes 1600dpi underwhelming & 1000Hz-poll underwhelming. Also, mouse limitations can also be partially why LinusTechTips (in addition to other reasons such as GtG limitations) didn't see much difference between 240Hz-vs-360Hz, although Blur Busters generally recommends doubling Hz when upgrading, so 144Hz->360Hz is a more logical upgrade than 240Hz->360Hz or 144Hz->240Hz.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

deama

Post by deama » 17 Sep 2020, 22:23

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 14:35
Honestly, the "I'm staying at 400dpi" parrot crowd needs to really properly try 1600dpi at quarter-sensitivity on the newest, most modern sensors. Even 3200dpi at eighth sensitivity. Same turnspeed, but much smoother slowturns. And generally no drawbacks if you're using a good mouse sensor, clean undamaged mouse feet, good mousepad texture. New sensors now can do 1600dpi with no latency over 400dpi, and you're just sabotaging framerate just to keep the mouse cursor at normal speed in Windows -- you can simply use a DPI switch button or a mouse profile that automatically activates when launching a game.
What if you turned it to 1600dpi but reduced the speed on windows' mouse pointer speed to match roughly a 400dpi feel? Is that fine or is changing pointer speed using windows settings is just bad?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Sep 2020, 09:32

deama wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 22:23
What if you turned it to 1600dpi but reduced the speed on windows' mouse pointer speed to match roughly a 400dpi feel? Is that fine or is changing pointer speed using windows settings is just bad?
I don't need to do that becaues my mouse includes software that switches DPI when launching a game, and lowering DPI when exiting Windows. Some of my mice also has an extra mouse button that changes DPI. All the major mice has some form of DPI switch ability (Razer, Logitech, etc). If you install the fancy mouse software that your mouse came with, it can help make your DPI-switching more convenient -- look for the "Profiles" area and some of them can detect the game executable that launches, or you can even use steam.exe as a catch-all (be noted, mouse cursor will be very fast while you're running Steam at high DPI).

Ideally, Adjusting pointer speed by Windows shouldn't be done because that can interfere with game accuracy. Leave it in center setting and change sensitivity in the game instead, to maintain quality.

Eventually we need multiple different sensitivity settings -- e.g. lower sensitivity setting for mousearrow than for in-game movements (turns, etc) -- to make it much easier from an operating system perspective.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

deama

Post by deama » 18 Sep 2020, 09:56

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 09:32
deama wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 22:23
I don't need to do that becaues my mouse includes software that switches DPI when launching a game, and lowering DPI when exiting Windows. Some of my mice also has an extra mouse button that changes DPI. All the major mice has some form of DPI switch ability (Razer, Logitech, etc). If you install the fancy mouse software that your mouse came with, it can help make your DPI-switching more convenient -- look for the "Profiles" area and some of them can detect the game executable that launches, or you can even use steam.exe as a catch-all (be noted, mouse cursor will be very fast while you're running Steam at high DPI).

Ideally, Adjusting pointer speed by Windows shouldn't be done because that can interfere with game accuracy. Leave it in center setting and change sensitivity in the game instead, to maintain quality.

Eventually we need multiple different sensitivity settings -- e.g. lower sensitivity setting for mousearrow than for in-game movements (turns, etc) -- to make it much easier from an operating system perspective.
I'm running at 1100dpi right now, but if I try 1600 it's much too fast for desktop, and I don't ever want to press the mouse button dpi, I'm fine with adjusting the sensitivity on a per game basis.
Is setting it to 1600dpi and configuring pointer speed on windows fine for me then?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Sep 2020, 10:07

deama wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 09:56
I'm running at 1100dpi right now, but if I try 1600 it's much too fast for desktop, and I don't ever want to press the mouse button dpi, I'm fine with adjusting the sensitivity on a per game basis.
Is setting it to 1600dpi and configuring pointer speed on windows fine for me then?
The problem with that is the Windows setting often sabotages the precision of the mouse inside the games, and you're getting the steppy-steppy effect back (sometimes worse than before).

Best: Use The Fancy-Pants Mouse Vendor Software
If you use a Razer or Logitech mouse, download Logitech or Razer's fancy-pants mouse software, install the thing, and use its Profiles setting. In Logitech you may have to enable the per-game pointer settings feature, then you can configure independently per game.

Yes, many just plug in a new gaming mouse and call it a day. But you're missing out a lot by avoiding installing the vendor software. The vendor software can unlock improved mouse precision that is not enabled by default.

Memorize: High-Medium-Low
High DPI in mouse vendor software
Middle Setting in Microsoft Windows Pointer Sensitivity
Low Sensitivity in Game Menu.

Make sure you're using modern sensors though, clean mouse feet, and great mousepad texture. Old mouse sensors are crap at 1600dpi+. Sticky/rough mouse feet and suboptimal mousepads also will wreck high-DPI tracking quality. Assuming you fix all the mouse weak links, your fast flickturns have absolutely identical mousefeel (inversely balanced DPI-vs-sensitivity) but with big improvements to your slowturns.

lyrill

Post by lyrill » 06 Jun 2021, 01:47

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 10:07
deama wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 09:56
The problem with that is the Windows setting often sabotages the precision of the mouse inside the games, and you're getting the steppy-steppy effect back (sometimes worse than before).

Best: Use The Fancy-Pants Mouse Vendor Software
If you use a Razer or Logitech mouse, download Logitech or Razer's fancy-pants mouse software, install the thing, and use its Profiles setting. In Logitech you may have to enable the per-game pointer settings feature, then you can configure independently per game.

Yes, many just plug in a new gaming mouse and call it a day. But you're missing out a lot by avoiding installing the vendor software. The vendor software can unlock improved mouse precision that is not enabled by default.

Memorize: High-Medium-Low
High DPI in mouse vendor software
Middle Setting in Microsoft Windows Pointer Sensitivity
Low Sensitivity in Game Menu.

Make sure you're using modern sensors though, clean mouse feet, and great mousepad texture. Old mouse sensors are crap at 1600dpi+. Sticky/rough mouse feet and suboptimal mousepads also will wreck high-DPI tracking quality. Assuming you fix all the mouse weak links, your fast flickturns have absolutely identical mousefeel (inversely balanced DPI-vs-sensitivity) but with big improvements to your slowturns.
erm......this is an old thread but that's only if going over the mid right? Some while ago I figured no need to stick to mid, just make sure not to go over it.