Special K can drastically reduce latency

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
axaro1

Re: Special K can drastically reduce latency

Post by axaro1 » 28 Sep 2020, 08:43

RealNC wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 08:16
The frametime graph with RTSS is perfectly flat. So how can SK have 10x lower deviation if it's already 0 with RTSS?
https://www.reddit.com/r/allbenchmarks/ ... x11_based/

It is not 10x let me correct myself
The adaptive standard deviation in the CapFrameX framerate analysis of the three DX11 games tested is anything between 7x-5.5x lower compared to to RTSS/NVCP.
0.2% lows in particular are 4-14% higher.
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

Darktalon

Post by Darktalon » 28 Sep 2020, 18:09

RealNC wrote:
axaro1 wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 06:32
Special K seems incredibly consistent, the frametime deviation is 10x lower than RTSS or Nvidia's built in fps limiter
The frametime graph with RTSS is perfectly flat. So how can SK have 10x lower deviation if it's already 0 with RTSS?
The frametime graph of RTSS is not actually very accurate. You can use CapFrameX to see this.

Darktalon

Post by Darktalon » 28 Sep 2020, 18:11

axaro1 wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 08:43
RealNC wrote:
https://www.reddit.com/r/allbenchmarks/ ... x11_based/

It is not 10x let me correct myself
The adaptive standard deviation in the CapFrameX framerate analysis of the three DX11 games tested is anything between 7x-5.5x lower compared to to RTSS/NVCP.
0.2% lows in particular are 4-14% higher.
Yep, and the data from that reddit post was used using special K as it existed 4 months ago. In just the last month alone, Kaldaien has massively improved latency and stability even further.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 28 Sep 2020, 18:22

Using the system to measure itself has its limits. This is why many professionals/enthusiasts use tools such as FCAT for frametime performance measurements, and photodiode or high-speed setups for input lag measurements.

Until Special K's framerate limiter is tested in such a fashion, we aren't going to see the whole picture.

CapFrameX and the like produce approximated results. What actually reaches the display can be another thing entirely, and something system-side tools can't fully expose (including RTSS).

It would be interesting to see results for this limiter captured via external methods nonetheless (whomever ends up ultimately performing them)...
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Darktalon

Post by Darktalon » 28 Sep 2020, 20:57

jorimt wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 18:22
Using the system to measure itself has its limits. This is why many professionals/enthusiasts use tools such as FCAT for frametime performance measurements, and photodiode or high-speed setups for input lag measurements.

Until Special K's framerate limiter is tested in such a fashion, we aren't going to see the whole picture.

CapFrameX and the like produce approximated results. What actually reaches the display can be another thing entirely, and something system-side tools can't fully expose (including RTSS).

It would be interesting to see results for this limiter captured via external methods nonetheless (whomever ends up ultimately performing them)...
Nvidia is sending Kaldaien an LDAT.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Sep 2020, 21:13

RealNC wrote:
axaro1 wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 06:32
Special K seems incredibly consistent, the frametime deviation is 10x lower than RTSS or Nvidia's built in fps limiter
Well, there's many metrics. Just because RTSS graph may be flat, may not be representative of how flat the graph is for Present()-to-photons, since RTSS only has ontrol up to the timing of Present(), and may timestamp based off that.

You need a photodiode to get best Present()-to-photons which can jitter even with flat RTSS graph...that is indeed correct. Even if you measure two stopwatch points of a latency chain that is glassfloor, the part immediately preceding/succeeding may be jittering -- especially the black-box beyond Present() that the computer has difficulty figuring out.

I'd need to look into things further, but I definitely think further improvements are possible in framerate capping software. I have long considered building an in-house framerate capping utility that is optimized for Blur Busters worthy stuff -- but it's too much wheel reinventing and there are too many projects competing for Blur Busters attention.

This month I'm unable to compare framerate capping software -- but let me ask around if one of my writers is able to volunteer the time to test out the multiple framerate capping software.

Speical K looks very promising looking and has some quite real promise.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 28 Sep 2020, 22:05

Darktalon wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 20:57
Nice, I look forward to his results (if shared).

I have not been offered the same. In fact, anyone familiar with my background at Blur Busters here might be surprised to hear Nvidia has never made direct contact with me on anything 🤪.

Beyond indirectly acknowledging my material in their driver feature releases (like implementing auto fps limiting below the refresh rate or finally recommending V-SYNC with G-SYNC or creating a CPU-level limiter, for instance) and the occassional replies to user comments in some of their articles linking to mine for answers in passing, they've been silent as the grave all these years. Not sure whether to take that as a compliment or a slight, but ah well, *shrugs.*

It's too bad, because I could make good use of a device like that myself...

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Darktalon

Post by Darktalon » 29 Sep 2020, 05:27

jorimt wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 22:05
Darktalon wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 20:57
Nice, I look forward to his results (if shared).

I have not been offered the same. In fact, anyone familiar with my background at Blur Busters here might be surprised to hear Nvidia has never made direct contact with me on anything 🤪.

Beyond indirectly acknowledging my material in their driver feature releases (like implementing auto fps limiting below the refresh rate or finally recommending V-SYNC with G-SYNC or creating a CPU-level limiter, for instance) and the occassional replies to user comments in some of their articles linking to mine for answers in passing, they've been silent as the grave all these years. Not sure whether to take that as a compliment or a slight, but ah well, *shrugs.*

It's too bad, because I could make good use of a device like that myself...
Reach out to AndyBNV on ResetEra, use the start a conversation tool. Nvidia didn't contact Kaldaien first either.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 29 Sep 2020, 07:38

Darktalon wrote:
29 Sep 2020, 05:27
Reach out to AndyBNV on ResetEra, use the start a conversation tool. Nvidia didn't contact Kaldaien first either.
Giving them out like hardware candy on special request then, eh? No wonder Linus got one (I kid) :lol:

Don't know how much luck I'll have, but I may give that a shot (already have a ResetEra account anyway).

Thanks for the heads up ;)

diakou

Post by diakou » 29 Sep 2020, 08:04

jorimt wrote:
29 Sep 2020, 07:38
Darktalon wrote:
29 Sep 2020, 05:27
Giving them out like hardware candy on special request then, eh? No wonder Linus got one (I kid) :lol:

Don't know how much luck I'll have, but I may give that a shot (already have a ResetEra account anyway).

Thanks for the heads up ;)
For the future, always reach out rather than waiting to be reached out to (unless you hope to get some sort of monetary benefit, waiting can land you better deals, in the case of a job based on previous accomplishments, reaching out is better.)

A lot of these things, especially if we are considering latency work, is beyond niche. Finding info on latency or latency related topics in general is very hard and the true gems are usually more hidden (a lot of misleadig info!) In your case it seems a bit different with the case that they pretty much know who you are, it probably stings a bit. But I assume that the people who linked to your past works are not in the correct department for marketing and collaboration, thus they most likely didn't have the power (or thought) to do these things. The people in the correct departments for collab work/marketing most likely just do not even know you exist as the people who do and the people who don't in NVIDIA most likely never overlapped information.

So all I'm saying is without dragging this too off-topic, if you don't really expect anything special and genuinely would like hardware/software etc that is within your niche and helps your own niches, just reach out. I have close to 0 programming/game dev knowledge yet I've talked to, gotten help and been able to give good info/advice on topics for low latency with many devs including AAA studios (ubisoft) on things like correct flip model implementations, improving rendering pipelines by testing v sync off / v sync on scenarios instead of just one, etc.