NVIDIA Low Latency Mode question

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Alpha

Re: NVIDIA Low Latency Mode question

Post by Alpha » 30 Sep 2020, 14:21

jorimt wrote:
29 Sep 2020, 12:32
disq wrote:
29 Sep 2020, 12:11
I guess that in my case 120fps is still too much and i need to lower it more to avoid those tiny spikes to 95% or above in few frames?!
< 95% can still be in the "safe" range, but yes, if you want to ensure your system is never GPU-bound in that game, you'll need to lower your cap to more closely match your 1% lows, for instance.
jorimt-

If you were choosing a best case scenario for a high end machine (latest of everything) for a set and forget global setting what would this look like?

For example,
LLM On
Gsync On
VSync On (not Fast)

I have had some unusual combinations both seen and felt though never dug in and could have been user (most likely) caused. Like making a NVCP change while in game or something.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 30 Sep 2020, 15:24

Alpha wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 14:21
If you were choosing a best case scenario for a high end machine (latest of everything) for a set and forget global setting what would this look like?
I'd love to just say "this, this, and this," but it's obviously highly goal, priority, and preference dependent. I'd need more detail on yours to advise further...
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Alpha

Post by Alpha » 30 Sep 2020, 16:24

jorimt wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 15:24
Alpha wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 14:21
I'd love to just say "this, this, and this," but it's obviously highly goal, priority, and preference dependent. I'd need more detail on yours to advise further...
Thank you for taking the time. Running 3900 with a X570 Aorus Master w/3 x 1tb nVME (adding due to potential impact to PCI lanes). 2080 TI @ +175 Core and +1100 on memory. 16 x 2 3600 @ 14 14 15 14 1t. This will change with new CPU's coming in Oct as well as whatever provides the highest performance @ 1080p for the GPU side. This should give a performance idea of what I am working with.

Primary focus is lowest latency, highest frames. If the differences are negligible between Gsync on vs off I'd lean towards smoothness if it makes a difference at the higher frame games like Siege. Main games are all FPS. Siege and Warzone. My monitor is 360hz if that matters for staying in Gsync.

Thanks man! I appreciate and am blown away at your knowledge on this stuff.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 30 Sep 2020, 16:54

Alpha wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 16:24
Ah, then going by that, you're probably able to consistently exceed (or at least near reach) your max refresh rate pretty comfortably, depending on in-game setting priorities. E.g. performance vs. visual, and you noted performance, so I'm assuming lowest or near lowest graphical settings.

So the biggest thing here is you have a 360Hz monitor. Due to it's extremely fast scanout, pretty much any scenario is going to be low lag, and for G-SYNC vs. no sync, where input lag is concerned, it is going to be a wash in most circumstances. Only thing that will be possibly different is overall "feel" (due to frame delivery differences), which enters the "preferential" realm.

Anyway, for any scenario, ensure you're never GPU-bound, whether that means lower graphical settings, or setting an FPS limit at your 1% lows. Otherwise, if you want ultimate consistency + zero tearing (which is already negligible in most scenarios at 360Hz), use G-SYNC + NVCP V-SYNC + minimum -3 FPS limit (to keep G-SYNC in range, or lower if you become GPU bound in the given game with that limit). However, if you want ultimate input responsiveness (at the expense of tearing artifacts and less consistent frame delivery, and albeit it for an average <1ms input lag reduction over G-SYNC in most scenarios), use G-SYNC off + V-SYNC off + whatever FPS limit prevents max GPU usage.

In-game limiters typically have the lowest lag, but external limiters like RTSS and Nvidia MFR are more consistent where frametime performance is concerned (less important for G-SYNC, more important for V-SYNC off).

As for LLM, no harm to leave it "On" in either scenario, and if Reflex is supported in the given game, use it in place of LLM, just don't expect either to do much in non-GPU-bound scenarios.

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Alpha

Post by Alpha » 30 Sep 2020, 17:09

jorimt wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 16:54
Alpha wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 16:24
Ah, then going by that, you're probably able to consistently exceed (or at least near reach) your max refresh rate pretty comfortably, depending on in-game setting priorities. E.g. performance vs. visual, and you noted performance, so I'm assuming lowest or near lowest graphical settings.

So the biggest thing here is you have a 360Hz monitor. Due to it's extremely fast scanout, pretty much any scenario is going to be low lag, and for G-SYNC vs. no sync, where input lag is concerned, it is going to be a wash in most circumstances. Only thing that will be possibly different is overall "feel" (due to frame delivery differences), which enters the "preferential" realm.

Anyway, for any scenario, ensure you're never GPU-bound, whether that means lower graphical settings, or setting an FPS limit at your 1% lows. Otherwise, if you want ultimate consistency + zero tearing (which is already negligible in most scenarios at 360Hz), use G-SYNC + NVCP V-SYNC + minimum -3 FPS limit (to keep G-SYNC in range, or lower if you become GPU bound in the given game with that limit). However, if you want ultimate input responsiveness (at the expense of tearing artifacts and less consistent frame delivery, and albeit it for an average <1ms input lag reduction over G-SYNC in most scenarios), use G-SYNC off + V-SYNC off + whatever FPS limit prevents max GPU usage.

In-game limiters typically have the lowest lag, but external limiters like RTSS and Nvidia MFR are more consistent where frametime performance is concerned (less important for G-SYNC, more important for V-SYNC off).

As for LLM, no harm to leave it "On" in either scenario, and if Reflex is supported in the given game, use it in place of LLM, just don't expect either to do much in non-GPU-bound scenarios.
You're such a badass man. I'll try both and see how it does. Thanks J!!

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 30 Sep 2020, 17:23

Alpha wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 17:09
Not a problem, sounds good ;)

Alpha

Post by Alpha » 01 Oct 2020, 10:54

jorimt wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 17:23
Alpha wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 17:09
Not a problem, sounds good ;)
If you're curious, on my setup, I tried Reflex for the first time last night on Warzone. Was not impressed at all with Boost. Without Boost it was ok but ultimately I preferred leaving it off. Can't stress how disappointed I was due to how excited I've been to see something like this. I do recognize that COD is steaming pile of unoptimized shit on PC and that could be the issue or maybe some things changed with Season 6. The biggest thing, I noticed a lack of response not in looking around but in character movement with boost on. I definitely felt the delay in ADS speed but that could again be a change in the game. I do look forward to trying it on a better game and will play with it with each update just to check.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 01 Oct 2020, 11:43

Alpha wrote:
01 Oct 2020, 10:54
Was not impressed at all with Boost.
The "Boost" portion of Reflex is equivalent to setting "Power management mode" to "Prefer maximum performance" in the NVCP, so if your GPU boost clocks are already consistently high with it off, you're probably not going to see much of a difference with it on.

Any differences you're seeing with "Boost" on/off must be down to game performance itself (including netcode, possibly).

Barring G-SYNC (which does have some frame pacing benefits, albeit still at the mercy of the given game engine), settings that are directly intended to reduce input lag don't necessarily improve frametime performance or increase average framerate. E.g. a game could have zero input latency, and still perform like crap :lol:

Alpha

Post by Alpha » 01 Oct 2020, 14:35

jorimt wrote:
01 Oct 2020, 11:43
Alpha wrote:
01 Oct 2020, 10:54
Was not impressed at all with Boost.
The "Boost" portion of Reflex is equivalent to setting "Power management mode" to "Prefer maximum performance" in the NVCP, so if your GPU boost clocks are already consistently high with it off, you're probably not going to see much of a difference with it on.

Any differences you're seeing with "Boost" on/off must be down to game performance itself (including netcode, possibly).

Barring G-SYNC (which does have some frame pacing benefits, albeit still at the mercy of the given game engine), settings that are directly intended to reduce input lag don't necessarily improve frametime performance or increase average framerate. E.g. a game could have zero input latency, and still perform like crap :lol:
Would agree completely on netcode.

What ultimately felt the best and (there was two of us making changes) different part of the country in full agreement where the settings had suggested above. Thank you again. I'll be looking forward to testing reflex again but for COD it needs some maturity or heaven forbid they use some battle pass money for acceptable servers.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 01 Oct 2020, 15:19

Alpha wrote:
01 Oct 2020, 14:35
Would agree completely on netcode.

What ultimately felt the best and (there was two of us making changes) different part of the country in full agreement where the settings had suggested above. Thank you again. I'll be looking forward to testing reflex again but for COD it needs some maturity or heaven forbid they use some battle pass money for acceptable servers.
In this age of input latency enlightenment (so to speak), netcode definitely needs to be next.