I have the new Razer 8000 Hz prototype gaming mouse on my desk.

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
lyrill

Re: I have the new Razer 8000 Hz prototype gaming mouse on my desk.

Post by lyrill » 25 Dec 2020, 13:29

axaro1 wrote:
25 Dec 2020, 12:23
Razer_TheFiend wrote:
25 Dec 2020, 02:51
I'm afraid I can't take this forum post as anything more than some sort of misinterpretation by this individual when the official USB spec says that USB 3 (both superspeed and superspeed plus) has 125us transfer intervals : https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/p ... b-xhci.pdf

It says in multiple places that each microframe is 125us, and not a single mention of 41.6us or 24KHz anywhere in the document.
This is interesting, so 8000hz is the theorical maximum transfer rate of USB 3.0 since 1/0,000125 = 8000 (I guess it's the same for USB 3.1 and 3.2, correct me if I'm wrong, I'm wondering if newer USB controller can stabilize poll induced interference from high pollrate devices, this topic has been discussed a lot in this forum)
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
24 Dec 2020, 23:44

BTW, I did recommend Razer to include an "Advanced Settings" section of mouse profiles in the Razer mouse software:
- Poll Rate [500 / 1000 / 2000 / 4000 / 8000 Hz]
- Enable smoothing [On / Off]
- Enable interpolation [On / Off]
- Sensor read frequency [20KHz / 16KHz / 8KHz]
Could you elaborate on Sensor Read Frequency? This is the first time I heard about it.

he meant fps

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 25 Dec 2020, 15:20

Sensor framerate and sensor read frequency are two different things. Framerate would be how often the sensor takes and processes an image of the mousepad, sensor read frequency is how often the microcontroller reads position data from the sensor. You could have the sensor framerate at 20khz and only read the position registers at 1khz. There's not much point to reading the position registers faster than the USB polling rate you're using, provided you adjust timing so you read the sensor just before you expect to send it over USB. Sensor framerate on the other hand has more to do with how fast you're moving the mouse across the pad, it needs to be high enough that there's enough overlap to correlate the new frame to the old one. .

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 25 Dec 2020, 15:38

Sparky wrote:
25 Dec 2020, 15:20
Sensor framerate and sensor read frequency are two different things. Framerate would be how often the sensor takes and processes an image of the mousepad, sensor read frequency is how often the microcontroller reads position data from the sensor. You could have the sensor framerate at 20khz and only read the position registers at 1khz. There's not much point to reading the position registers faster than the USB polling rate you're using, provided you adjust timing so you read the sensor just before you expect to send it over USB. Sensor framerate on the other hand has more to do with how fast you're moving the mouse across the pad, it needs to be high enough that there's enough overlap to correlate the new frame to the old one. .
Thank you for the explanation
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

deama

Post by deama » 25 Dec 2020, 19:57

Is 8khz going to be beneficial at 120hz when playing an fps? I'm not interested in whether I can see my courser smoother on my desktop, but if camera movement is smoother in an fps when I do flicks, that would be good.

howiec

Post by howiec » 26 Dec 2020, 05:59

deama wrote:
25 Dec 2020, 19:57
Is 8khz going to be beneficial at 120hz when playing an fps? I'm not interested in whether I can see my courser smoother on my desktop, but if camera movement is smoother in an fps when I do flicks, that would be good.
I just tested it in Apex Legends. Still noticeably smoother with 8kHz, and PG259QN set to 120Hz.

lyrill

Post by lyrill » 26 Dec 2020, 06:26

Sparky wrote:
that's really a lot of bogged up technical loops lol. why can't sensor read simply be sensor frame?? because we all know by now that the middle most processor of a mouse physically can't operate in a speed equivalent to what's on either side of the IO(wired or not).......or SHOULD IT?

in any case, when you say sensor do you mean the lens part or the processor parts, since now we all know MCU has different bits too.....but not surprising since there's a thing called onboard memories and profiles since long ago, but I bet that's not even the MCU chipset.

howiec

Post by howiec » 26 Dec 2020, 09:57

So I kinda randomly ended up testing HPET disabled in BIOS, plus useplatformclock = Yes in Windows and found that this alone leads to major stutter in Apex Legends when moving the mouse quickly with 8kHz polling.

Beware.

I'm back to my normal, HPET enabled in BIOS + useplatformclock = No (or deletevalue).

deama

Post by deama » 26 Dec 2020, 11:44

howiec wrote:
26 Dec 2020, 05:59
deama wrote:
25 Dec 2020, 19:57
I just tested it in Apex Legends. Still noticeably smoother with 8kHz, and PG259QN set to 120Hz.
Nice, but what do you mean smoother? Like the camera movement is smoother when you do big movements?

howiec

Post by howiec » 26 Dec 2020, 14:42

deama wrote:
26 Dec 2020, 11:44
Nice, but what do you mean smoother? Like the camera movement is smoother when you do big movements?
Turning/aiming with mouse in general looks smoother even at regular/moderate speeds (easier tracking and/or just motion clarity in general).
I didn't really pay attention to super fast mouse swipes because it's hard to see a whole lot going that fast and at 120Hz, however, I don't see why it wouldn't be be smoother too.

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 26 Dec 2020, 20:31

lyrill wrote:
26 Dec 2020, 06:26
Sparky wrote:
that's really a lot of bogged up technical loops lol. why can't sensor read simply be sensor frame??
The interface between the sensor and the microcontroller is much slower than the part of the sensor that captures and processes the image data to figure out how far you've moved. If you decrease the framerate, you also decrease the maximum speed you can physically move the mouse before it glitches out.

Think of the sensor framerate like the the crystal oscillator inside your watch, it oscillates at 32.768 khz as part of the internal operation of how it keeps time, even though you can only get the updated time once a second, and might only care to check the time once every few minutes.