I have the new Razer 8000 Hz prototype gaming mouse on my desk.

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: I have the new Razer 8000 Hz prototype gaming mouse on my desk.

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Jan 2021, 19:35

deama wrote:
31 Dec 2020, 22:40
Can you enable 8khz on linux? Does the razor software work on linux?
Also, what about the atom mouse, will that work on linux too?
I think Linux would easily support 8KHz. The USB drivers are capable of 8000 Hz for other purposes -- it is only a 1-line configuration file edit for some USB tests such as 8000 Hz Arduinos.

I would not be surprised if it was easy for Linux to support 8 KHz mice, although weak links may also appear (e.g. specific inefficiently programmed window managers)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

zhandri

Post by zhandri » 03 Jan 2021, 21:45

howiec wrote:
31 Dec 2020, 17:12
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
29 Dec 2020, 16:12
The HD Mouse API would greatly raise developer attention to this issue, because any user squealing about wanting support for HD Mouse API means the developers are forced to read best-practices documents related to HD Mouse API -- including all the math hygiene need to preserve sensortime:photontime as much as possible. It's amazing how dirty the mouse imprecision gets in some modern games because of bad math hygeine. Despite having ZERO mouse interpolation, ZERO mouse smoothing, ZERO mouse acceleration, the game engine is injecting its own unwanted effects from math flaws in the game engine.

Just by the MERE existence of HD Mouse API, probably will even improve the game engine's ability to process mouse from legacy mouse APIs. From the sheer learning experience alone.
I think not only would this be extremely beneficial but would also be mandatory imo for a truly optimal gaming experience. I would imagine that some of the concepts would even overlap VR headset/peripheral input protocols too.

So far, 8kHz hasn't directly caused issues in any games I've played thus far.

However, 8kHz polling has definitely indirectly lead to stutter in games by affecting some other program features that I've used which monitor/track mouse position (e.g. Dual Monitor Tools).

One thing I noticed is that setting useplatformclock=True regardless of BIOS HPET setting leads to major stutter during faster mouse movements with 8kHz polling on my Z370 mb because it seems that Windows then uses the ACPI PMT (QPF = 3.57MHz) instead of TSC.

So overall, 8kHz itself has been a major boon for mouse responsiveness and smoothness but there's definitely a ton of room for improvement in the game engine/input design and other app compatibility.
Can confirm. Same thing happened to me on my Z370 with useplatformclock=true with the Viper 8k hz. Turning it off fixed all issues for me

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 05 Jan 2021, 18:28

Still no news on Viper 8khz release date? :(

My GPW just stopped working, I guess I'm gonna get myself either an XM1R or a HyperX Pulsefire Haste (Really interested in either TTC Golds or Kailh 8.0), sad because I really liked the optical switches on the viper mini.
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

lyrill

Post by lyrill » 07 Jan 2021, 12:36

axaro1 wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 18:28

My GPW just stopped working, I guess I'm gonna get myself either an XM1R or a HyperX Pulsefire Haste (Really interested in either TTC Golds or Kailh 8.0), sad because I really liked the optical switches on the viper mini.
why would you want the viper and not an actual new model?

lyrill

Post by lyrill » 07 Jan 2021, 12:37

axaro1 wrote:

there's keris, custom 8.0, but i just saw the back end profile , the shape is too da/ec for my basilisk/zygen oriented discerning taste.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Jan 2021, 14:16

Always, always, always disable "Enhance Mouse Precision" in Control Panel

This is even more important for 8000 Hz poll rate, even if many games ignore this by using rawinput -- but you use your mouse for other things (like web browsing) and you want to preserve your muscle memory / training across all software.

For a novice gamer, the mousefeel of that setting is not a problem for 1000 and it's easily overlooked by novice gamers. However, it is major mousefeel-varying problem for 8000 -- it more than halves the effective velocity of the mouse pointer at the 8000 pollrate -- with smoothing sheninigians. The "Enhance Mouse Precision" algorithm Microsoft designed is not hugely noticeable over the 125-1000 Hz poll rate, but deviates massively above 1000 to the point where 8000Hz is much slower than 1000Hz. Switching rapidly between the poll rate settings, really brings this behaviour to a fore.

When "Enhance is disabled, the mouse pointer velocity is identical at 125 Hz and 8000 Hz even at the same DPI. Your training (muscle memory) is more preserved at all poll rates and all DPIs. Perfect, just the way it should be.

Microsoft has its work set out in front of it since default settings of Microsoft can fudge things by adding unwanted smoothing (make users incorrectly blame the mouse for smoothing effects).

Razer_TheFriend, it could be a good idea to automatically detect this Windows setting and pop up an alert to end users to warn them of issues of 8000Hz with "Enhance Mouse Precision".
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 07 Jan 2021, 14:24

lyrill wrote:
07 Jan 2021, 12:36
axaro1 wrote:

Can you define "new model"? I think that a 3399 + an 8000hz microcontroller is as new as it can get in terms of hardware, that's the same reason why I'm looking for the XM1R, it has the 3370 and very high quality switches.
I already dismissed the Pulsefire Haste due to no LOD control and random DPI switch triggering.

I really want to test 8000hz polling rate, I liked the shape of the viper mini, unfortunately the standard viper has side buttons on the right side aswell which can be a dealbreaker for me but if the pros outweigh the cons I might use it.

I'm currently using a cheap M220 with 125hz polling rate (I don't have any other mice atm) and it's one of the worst mice I've ever tried in my entire life, unusable feet, sensor spinout, no tactile feedback.
125hz with a 240hz monitor feels like playing on a grater, extreme stutterings :S

I'll probably get myself the XM1R.
Last edited by axaro1 on 07 Jan 2021, 14:30, edited 2 times in total.
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Jan 2021, 14:27

axaro1 wrote:
07 Jan 2021, 14:24
Can you define "new model"? I think that a 3399 + an 8000hz microcontroller is as new as it can get in terms of hardware, that's the same reason why I'm looking for the XM1R, it has the 3370 and very high quality switches.
lyrill wrote:
The confusion is that the retail launch name will probably be different than "Viper"

-- There's an existing 1KHz Viper with older sensor on the market.
-- The sample boxes sent to esports players to beta testers are "Razer Viper 8KHz"
-- Thus, Viper 8KHz is a new model compared to the original Viper because of different sensor and higher poll.
The prototypes are also known as the Avalon too, as written in the media.

The actual launch name may be different, whatever model the retail for-sale mouse gets the 8KHz sensor.

But either way, Viper optical buttons are really nice pair-up with the 8KHz poll rate, no question about it. I think all gaming mice should eventually switch to them, it feels better even just for mere mousing about in Windows too. Noticeable clickfeel difference even in regular Windows use for me.

P.S. Right now the 8 KHz ecosystem is being debugged. At least a few game developers fixed their engine of 8KHz bugs, and power users have discovered additional mouse tweaks to reduce the likelihood that Average Joe User will complain about 8KHz bug. So that's why floodgates aren't opening too fast -- the 8KHz poll rate really hits some computer very hard and some computers can't handle it without proper optimizations. So that's the purpose of Razer seeding testers/early players who are happy to be beta testers of this new tech. There'll still be problems (computers and games that can't handle the 8KHz rate well) but less than launching the mouse too early.

Too early launch of 8KHz will be like a Cyberpunk 2077. Giving the ecosystem enough time cook (games, drivers, Windows Update fixes, etc) will allow the ecosystem to improve further.

As an example, I just had a great upgrade of the Razer Synapse software utility. It now lets me assign poll rates to specific games (profiles) -- 125, 500, 1000, 2000, 4000, 8000 -- so fantastic, I can add profiles to lower poll rates for specific games unable to handle the 8000, while keeping 8000 default for everything else! This was much needed, before launching the mouse.

The new Synapse even pops up the DPI changes (400, 800, 1600, 2400, 3200, all 5 presets configurable in 50dpi increments all the way to 20000dpi) when you press the DPI-change button on the bottom of the mouse -- this is convenient so I know what DPI the mouse is currently at. You can even configure a specific DPI to a specific game now!

In my tests, Synapse tends to be relatively low-overhead compared to some worse software (e.g. keyboard RGB animating software creating frametime spikes = input lag), but Razer Synapse is lower overhead than other software even when in the middle of keyboard RGB animations (Razer keyboards, Razer laptops) which can be disabled in game profiles if you don't want any RGB-animating overheads in your lowest-lag games.

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 07 Jan 2021, 14:34

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
07 Jan 2021, 14:27

But either way, Viper optical buttons are really nice pair-up with the 8KHz poll rate, no question about it. I think all gaming mice should eventually switch to them, it feels better even just for mere mousing about in Windows too. Noticeable clickfeel difference even in regular Windows use for me.
I agree, I those switches on the Viper Mini and they feel great, good tactile feedback and definitely faster click latency.

The XM1R is using a custom analogue switch contact algorithm with pre-sorted mechanical switches so I'd like to see how it compares to optical switches.
For those of you interested:https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... xQZ6so8Y6S [pdf download]
*= currently owned

lyrill

Post by lyrill » 07 Jan 2021, 16:00

axaro1 wrote:
07 Jan 2021, 14:24
lyrill wrote:
axaro1 wrote:

I already dismissed the Pulsefire Haste due to no LOD control and random DPI switch triggering.

I really want to test 8000hz polling rate, I liked the shape of the viper mini, unfortunately the standard viper has side buttons on the right side aswell which can be a dealbreaker for me but if the pros outweigh the cons I might use it.

I'm currently using a cheap M220 with 125hz polling rate (I don't have any other mice atm) and it's one of the worst mice I've ever tried in my entire life, unusable feet, sensor spinout, no tactile feedback.
125hz with a 240hz monitor feels like playing on a grater, extreme stutterings :S

I'll probably get myself the XM1R.
it is because of my continued reasoned claim against the generic design schemes that the 4 year long legacy of a more refined and cohesive shape that is Basilisk line that it was last still weighted in as "there is no new shape yet but there will be"

it's like do you want a new Eminem album or "best of" "remixes" "the greatest". I'm like the only guy that cares about that, and how sad Razer market head tossed me like a chewed up bone and tech head doesn't take my side which is righteous.

on the other hand, just so I am not all empty talks, what is inferior about the deathadder and why they mainlined Viper is because CSGO is no longer the sole game there is, or rather, the cs franchise. Gun recoil patterns aren't just an arbitrary static right tilt anymore, which favors and justifies a right side slant to make compensating to the left easier than a flat top. as the "few" likes of ROG Keris and those even less efforted kinds like ec clones still inherit and pass on as if the world is still living in 2006. well it isn't.