I have the new Razer 8000 Hz prototype gaming mouse on my desk.

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Kamen Rider Blade

Re: I have the new Razer 8000 Hz prototype gaming mouse on my desk.

Post by Kamen Rider Blade » 11 Mar 2021, 03:19

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 02:57
Kamen Rider Blade wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 02:50
Does anybody know how much it would cost the MoBo makers to have each USB port on the back of the Rear I/O panel be a independent root USB hub instead of the shared mess that it is now?
I heard Razer is talking to some mobo vendors about that.

The time is ripe for decicated high-Hz USB ports, so we can plug in a 4 KHz keyboard and an 8 KHz mouse at the same time without them clogging each other in the hardware, and lower USB / chipset / CPU processing overheads as much as possible.

Ideally, software should be the only weak link for high-Hz devices.
I dream of a day when all High End MoBo's will have all their USB Ports be "Fully Independent" root hubs that can each clock up to 8 kHz and scale down to any integer polling speeds that are integer multipliers of the base 125 µs Micro-Frame as needed.

That kind of flexibility is what we need from USB.

And the "One-Size" fits all mentality of USB Type-C has created a mess out of the USB eco-system.

Not every device needs the Largest Bandwidth Pipe to the PC. And the manufacturers of USB-C cables has created alot of "Bad Quality" cables that don't meet spec but are marketed as such.

There's a reason why clothing and many other products have a Large/Medium/Small sizes in their product lines.

Having everything in the USB world be only "Large" is a bad idea for logistics, and for resource usage (environmental).

USB Type-C is great for big Storage that needs to move alot of data over a fat High Bandwidth pipe.

But a simpler USB cabling like Micro-B, but reinvented using Type-C micro pin technology to handle 10 pins and 1x Full Duplex Super Speed lane should've been pushed as a "Medium" sized USB pipe.

And a simpler & small light weight, cheap to manufacture cable should've been made to turn USB 2.0 into 2.1 with a super tiny, cost efficient Full Duplex Cable that can handle 8 kHz.

Input devices don't need that much bandwidth, and it needs the cable to be light weight and simple.

USB Type-C cables aren't light weight, and are over-kill for Mice and other input devices.

lyrill

Post by lyrill » 11 Mar 2021, 03:28

is there a way to somehow simply tell from Device Manager? I'm a "frequenting user" to that "program" if you'd like, because of the schiit modi problem and stuff. I've noticed there's messy lists of shits in there, but my current pc reports 2 "Usb Root Hub (USB 3.0)". Is there a way to tell exactly which ports my Viper8K and Huntsman Mini Red are linked to? My board is above optical jack. there are 2 chipsets groupo between it and the mouse.

just checking now. bus no# and parent : 0000002 1532PID_0257 for kb and 0000005 1532 PID_0091 for mouse respectively. The first Usb Root Hub (USB 3.0) in U S B Controllers has.....welp, both 0257 and 0091 under the list of Bus Relations......after a second sweep, but I don't know why there's no "relations" for the 2nd root hub..Should I plug the kb to the frontal USB 2.0 ports?

Brainlet

Post by Brainlet » 11 Mar 2021, 05:49

lyrill wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 03:28
is there a way to somehow simply tell from Device Manager? I'm a "frequenting user" to that "program" if you'd like, because of the schiit modi problem and stuff. I've noticed there's messy lists of shits in there, but my current pc reports 2 "Usb Root Hub (USB 3.0)". Is there a way to tell exactly which ports my Viper8K and Huntsman Mini Red are linked to? My board is above optical jack. there are 2 chipsets groupo between it and the mouse.

just checking now. bus no# and parent : 0000002 1532PID_0257 for kb and 0000005 1532 PID_0091 for mouse respectively. The first Usb Root Hub (USB 3.0) in U S B Controllers has.....welp, both 0257 and 0091 under the list of Bus Relations......after a second sweep, but I don't know why there's no "relations" for the 2nd root hub..Should I plug the kb to the frontal USB 2.0 ports?
https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtreeview_e.html
Starting point for beginners: PC Optimization Hub

masneb

Post by masneb » 11 Mar 2021, 09:51

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Kamen Rider Blade wrote:
Does anybody know how much it would cost the MoBo makers to have each USB port on the back of the Rear I/O panel be a independent root USB hub instead of the shared mess that it is now?

The time is ripe for decicated high-Hz USB ports, so we can plug in a 4 KHz keyboard and an 8 KHz mouse at the same time without them clogging each other in the hardware, and lower USB / chipset / CPU processing overheads as much as possible.

I think USB is inherently just broken for dedicated devices. New interface in general might be a better answer or TBolt or really any other interface might be able to be repurposed for this, depending on which yields the best results. If it already exists it makes adoption a lot easier, even if it's old technology.

Has anyone tried this mouse with USB2 and see if it has issues? All my ports are >=USB3.0.

If anyone wants to play guinea pig, if someone can test out older interfaces with the mouse and see what happens with an adapter I think it could make for some interesting insights. USB to Tbolt for instance, I would be curious what a mouseplotter graph would look like.

Kamen Rider Blade

Post by Kamen Rider Blade » 11 Mar 2021, 19:01

masneb wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 09:51
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Kamen Rider Blade wrote:

I think USB is inherently just broken for dedicated devices. New interface in general might be a better answer or TBolt or really any other interface might be able to be repurposed for this, depending on which yields the best results. If it already exists it makes adoption a lot easier, even if it's old technology.

Has anyone tried this mouse with USB2 and see if it has issues? All my ports are >=USB3.0.

If anyone wants to play guinea pig, if someone can test out older interfaces with the mouse and see what happens with an adapter I think it could make for some interesting insights. USB to Tbolt for instance, I would be curious what a mouseplotter graph would look like.
I wrote an entire post about this.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8290

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Mar 2021, 19:34

masneb wrote:
Kamen Rider Blade wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 19:01
I wrote an entire post about this.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8290
This is a lot easier to do, it's a form of jitter correction for USB, but it also theoretically allows Thunderbolt or non-USB mice too:

Blur Busters Proposal
Proposed High Definition Mouse Extensions API

It includes sensor-side microsecond timestamping.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 11 Mar 2021, 21:35

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 19:34
Should probably also include microsecond timestamping of mouse clicks, so you can interpolate a click location between two sensor reports. Or if the most recent click was after the most recent sensor report, extrapolate from the prior velocity.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Mar 2021, 21:38

Sparky wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 21:35
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 19:34
Should probably also include microsecond timestamping of mouse clicks, so you can interpolate a click location between two sensor reports. Or if the most recent click was after the most recent sensor report, extrapolate from the prior velocity.
Good idea. Cross-post your post into the other thread!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

micrex22

Post by micrex22 » 12 Mar 2021, 10:18

masneb wrote:
I legtimiately have a PC from '97 with USB 1.0 (not even 1.1!). I will totally try the Razer 8000 Hz mice on it when I get a chance just for morbid curiosity; someone asked me if newer USB 3.0-class stuff works on 1.0 and I honestly do not know. For science!

forcedreg

Post by forcedreg » 12 Mar 2021, 16:51

Alpha wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 15:37
The two slots, 1 being occupied by your GPU will share lanes with the CPU. That shouldn't be an issue at all. Max USB speeds are 1969mb/s per lane on an 8x slot which you're not going to be using at all (though I believe max USB is 10gbps in terms of bandwidth?). It's not a throughput test but the one flag that wouldn't surprise me is how bad AGESA is now (FCLK, USB, PCIe 4.0 issues). Verify if your motherboard is going to turn both slots to 8x due to being occupied running off the slots for the CPU lanes (I believe it will but not sure). I'm no expert but it would seem to make sense to go straight to CPU USB directly on the motherboard if that is the case (both CPU slots being occupied cuts 16x to 8x on both). It's hard to trust AMD's Bios right now. MSI seems pretty good BIOS wise so please report back if you try this. I may do the same.
Alas, the PCIe USB device I had doesn't work on my b550. Might be broken or compatibility issue. Didn't even recognize it. I'll wait for AGESA 1.2.0.2 for now, but might revisit this option if I find a good deal for an PCIe USB device.