TIP: Always put high-Hz keyboard and high-Hz mouse on SEPARATE DEDICATED USB CHIPS.

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
dervu

Re: TIP: Always put high-Hz keyboard and high-Hz mouse on SEPARATE DEDICATED USB CHIPS.

Post by dervu » 19 May 2022, 06:49

So if so many motherboards do not have second PCI-E slot that goes straight to CPU, then what is the point giving advice for high Hz mouse to be put on separate usb card that would use that slot, when majority of people will not even have motherboard that could make use of that card properly?
Even if it is only about having separate usb controller from the motherboard one, then how to get rid of such intermittent frequency drop issues like on graph I posted above?
Ryzen 7950X3D / MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio / ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS / 2x16GB DDR5@6000 G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279QM / Logitech G PRO X SUPERLIGHT / SkyPAD Glass 3.0 / Wooting 60HE / DT 700 PRO X || EMI Input lag issue survivor

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: TIP: Always put high-Hz keyboard and high-Hz mouse on SEPARATE DEDICATED USB CHIPS.

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 May 2022, 10:49

That being true.

However, most people only have one PCIe card: the GPU and nothing else. It’s very rare you don’t have a x1 slot (8000Hz mouse only needs a tiny x1 slot).

If you’re a pro user with a video capture card and a 10 gigabit Ethernet card, and have a gigantic heatsink blocking one PCIe slot too, read on — see solutions below:

Also, hacks exist.

(A) x1 PCIe riser ribbon extension cables are available for purchase too — can also allow you to use a PCIe USB card externally or in a slotless area of your computer. You can fit some of those x1 PCIe slot-extension cables sometimes in the obstructed spare slot underneath a triple-width GPU (or overhanging gigantic heatsink etc), snake the ribbon cable under your GPU to open space, and dangle the USB port card in open air outside the rear of the PC, if absolutely necessary. Clever, huh? :D

* Or build a tiny black box for it and tape the black box to a different part of your PC. Or even just wrap the USB3 card in black duct tape to protect the circuit board from shorting against the metal of your computer case. Be creative in how you protect the bare USB card.

Google “x1 PCIe riser cable” on Amazon or ebay. PCIe USB cards don’t need more than x1 slot to support an 8000Hz mouse, and x1 is less error-critical than x16, and can tolerate a short extension cable, usually. Heck, try two — including one shorter — a different cable may be higher quality, since riser cables are sometimes lottery. Keep it as short as you feasibly can. Some are lower-profile and some PCIe connectors have 90-degree turns. Find a custom riser cable that fits where you need it to fit. You probably only need 4 or 6 inches.

(B) Wait, there’s more.
If your motherboard has a Thunderbolt port (not just a USB-C port), use a true real Thunderbolt hub and plug your mouse into that. Just don’t plug anything else into that thunderbolt hub, so 100% of that Thunderbolt port is dedicated to the 8000 Hz mouse. A bit overkill, but Thunderbolt has pretty low latency compared to USB, and you’re simply pushing a dedicated USB chip into the external Thunderbolt hub.

(C) No, I’m still not finished yet. ;)
Does your motherboard have a USB-C port? Sometimes it’s on its own dedicated chip. Use a USB-C-to-USB-A adaptor. It’s not as good as Thunderbolt, but it may bypass a crappy USB-A port tree.

(D) Wait, I’ve got yet more too. ;)
Some NVIDIA GPUs has one of their multiple video outputs in the form of a USB-C connector instead of a DisplayPort connector. You can connect regular USB accessories to these ports! Yep. One of the video ports is sometimes also a USB-C port on your GPU. It’s also fair game for an 8000 Hz mouse too.

(E) Um, I’m not finished yet. ;)
Do you have a spare USB2 or USB3 motherboard header? Check your motherboard manual, there may be a big surprise of extra unused USB ports on your motherboard that is idling on its own unused dedicated circuitry. Often they are for front ports or top-surface ports, but many cases have fewer USB ports than USB headers on the motherboard.

If you’re willing to be creative, you can usually workaround an 8000 Hz issue without a motherboard replacement. It’s fortunately very rare that you can’t do any of these creative workarounds. Some of these are still a pain, but less painful than a motherboard replacement.

There’s usually overlooked low lying apples. Check these unexpected places.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

DudeBeFishing

Post by DudeBeFishing » 26 Mar 2024, 20:32

Figured this is the right thread for this information.

The Asrock X570S PG Riptide has 3 USB controllers. The mouse labeled port is on the same controller as the other rear light blue ports. It's kinda an odd choice. Users are more likely to use the rear ports than use the internal headers. These ports are connected directly to the CPU, so maybe it's less of an issue if other devices are connected to these ports.

Controller 1:
Rear IO, Black USB ports
Motherboard, bottom right USB 3 header (#18 in manual)

Controller 2:
Rear IO, keyboard label
Rear IO, USB-C port
Motherboard, middle right USB 3 header (#12 in manual)
Motherboard, USB 2.0 headers (#22 #23 in manual)

Controller 3:
Rear IO, Mouse label
Rear IO, 3x light blue USB ports

Here's pictures that hopefully explain the USB controller layout better:

https://i.imgur.com/ytIOUWm.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/C6J3F5h.png

chandler

Post by chandler » Today, 09:43

DudeBeFishing wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 20:32
Figured this is the right thread for this information.

The Asrock X570S PG Riptide has 3 USB controllers. The mouse labeled port is on the same controller as the other rear light blue ports. It's kinda an odd choice. Users are more likely to use the rear ports than use the internal headers. These ports are connected directly to the CPU, so maybe it's less of an issue if other devices are connected to these ports.

Controller 1:
Rear IO, Black USB ports
Motherboard, bottom right USB 3 header (#18 in manual)

Controller 2:
Rear IO, keyboard label
Rear IO, USB-C port
Motherboard, middle right USB 3 header (#12 in manual)
Motherboard, USB 2.0 headers (#22 #23 in manual)

Controller 3:
Rear IO, Mouse label
Rear IO, 3x light blue USB ports

Here's pictures that hopefully explain the USB controller layout better:

https://i.imgur.com/ytIOUWm.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/C6J3F5h.png
yes I was wondering the same about my motherboard as well (ASUS Z690-F)

Ive connected my DAv3 mouse(labeled 1 in the pic below) , my Schiit HEL headphones amp (labeled 2) and my K70 MK.2 keyboard which is running at 1000Hz (labeled 3)

can someone say if its the correct way to connect my devices ?

**Also, can somebody please help me with USB interrupt affinity for my mouse? specifically with how do I identify the usb device which is the mouse? and do I bind the whole controller that the mouse is plugged into or just the device itself ?