TIP: Always put high-Hz keyboard and high-Hz mouse on SEPARATE DEDICATED USB CHIPS.

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

TIP: Always put high-Hz keyboard and high-Hz mouse on SEPARATE DEDICATED USB CHIPS.

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Oct 2020, 00:29

Houston, we have a problem.

Especially with 4000 Hz keyboards and 8000 Hz mice being used simultaneously.

I just helped someone solve a high-Hz USB performance interference problem between two high-Hz USB devices:

Problem: High-Hz poll performance interference between 1000 Hz keyboard + 1000 Hz mouse
MaxTendency wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 16:35
While I'm pretty convinced that 8k hz mouse polling is going to be not only noticeable but also impactful , I'm starting to wonder how much keyboard polling will affect this. High keyboard polling has known to destabilize the mouse polling and vice versa.

For example this is a 1khz mouse polling on an optimized setup with a 125hz keyboard. As you can see the variance is quite little, barely 1hz.

This is the same mouse but the keyboard is wooting one set to 1k hz. All of a sudden the variance is 20hz. Looks like windows can't even fully handle 1k hz keyboard and mouse at the same time.

With keyboards now supporting 4k hz polling like the Corsair K100, I'm curious how will this affect the stability of 8k hz mouse polling. Seeing that a 1k hz keyboard is enough to destabilize a mouse set to just 1k hz, a 4k hz keyboard would probably trash the stability of a 8k hz mouse.
Solution: Serparate USB controllers and PCI bus lanes per 1 high-pollrate device
MaxTendency wrote:
15 Oct 2020, 20:58
Small update, using the asmedia port for keyboard (the lowest one, right next to the usb-c port) while using top port for mouse seems to minimize if not remove the impact of high keyboard polling on the mouse polls.

Blue is the mouse and red is the keyboard. This combo provided the best polling, pic of polling attached below.

Yeah, that was what I thought. Glad my recommendation helped!

With ultrahigh poll rates, you really need to isolate to one USB chip (and/or separate bus lanes) per high-pollrate device.

PCI-Express USB cards are also another solution that can help this. Plug the keyboard into the motherboard USB, and plug the mouse into the PCI-Express USB. Or do do USB port roulette until you find jackpot. Keep the adjacent ports empty (port above/below a plugged-in high-Hz USB device) because they often share the same USB controller.

This would probably become a staple recommendation of the new 2020s-era "Blur Busters Mouse Guide II"

Until the motherboard manufacturers "keeps up with the Joneses" and have a dedicated-USB-chip keyboard port, and a dedicated-USB-chip mouse port for the 2020-2030s esports era of 4000 Hz keyboard + 8000 Hz mouse + >360 Hz monitors + RTX 3080+ framerates.

This Grand gaming computer upgrade supercycle is going to be very interesting. I rarely see so many concurrent upgrades happen. Those now seem to happen only once every 5-10 years, rather than every 2-3 years in the 1990s-2000s. We are seeing a major Vicious Cycle Effect tick-tock (multiple concurrent frequency upgrades).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ffs_

Re: TIP: Always put high-Hz keyboard and high-Hz mouse on SEPARATE DEDICATED USB CHIPS.

Post by ffs_ » 16 Oct 2020, 04:13

Tbh even without ultrahigh poll rates I always noticed that connecting USB keyboard (or anything else) to the same USB controller makes mouse movement noticeably worse (not like 10 times worse, but still) in game.

My motherboard doesn't have PS/2 port and I have to use USB keyboard, good thing that there are 2 separate USB controllers. :)

To check which ports are using which controller: Device Manager -> View -> Devices by connection.

hleV

Re: TIP: Always put high-Hz keyboard and high-Hz mouse on SEPARATE DEDICATED USB CHIPS.

Post by hleV » 16 Oct 2020, 08:06

How do I tell if my keyboard is high-Hz? SteelSeries 6Gv2.
BenQ XL2546K @ 240Hz (DyAC+) • ROCCAT Kone Pro Air @ 1000Hz • HyperX Alloy Origins • CORSAIR MM350 PRO Premium • HyperX Cloud Revolver • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 @ 2130MHz/8000MHz • Intel Core i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz • G.SKILL RipjawsV 16GB (2x8GB) 3000MHz CL15

slaver01

Post by slaver01 » 16 Oct 2020, 09:39

I use Anne Pro 2 (wired), is it 1000hz?

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 16 Oct 2020, 13:15

slaver01 wrote:
16 Oct 2020, 09:39
I use Anne Pro 2 (wired), is it 1000hz?
anne pro is 1000hz wired and 250hz wireless.
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

Mr1991

Post by Mr1991 » 16 Oct 2020, 15:55

What about Bluetooth wireless keyboards, curious how these work

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Oct 2020, 16:19

Mr1991 wrote:
16 Oct 2020, 15:55
Think of Bluetooth as an invisible USB cable. On the computer end, is a bluetooth receiver in the hierarchy, sometimes in the USB tree. In other words, make sure the Bluetooth keyboard receiver and the mouse isn't sharing the same paths (same USB chip) even if it's an internal Bluetooth receiver.

You can check your USB trees in Device Manager, or use a 3rd party utility to make sure your high-Hz polls aren't on shared branches (the internal USB hubs).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Mr1991

Post by Mr1991 » 18 Oct 2020, 07:22

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
16 Oct 2020, 16:19
Mr1991 wrote:
Think of Bluetooth as an invisible USB cable. On the computer end, is a bluetooth receiver in the hierarchy, sometimes in the USB tree. In other words, make sure the Bluetooth keyboard receiver and the mouse isn't sharing the same paths (same USB chip) even if it's an internal Bluetooth receiver.

You can check your USB trees in Device Manager, or use a 3rd party utility to make sure your high-Hz polls aren't on shared branches (the internal USB hubs).
Just curious, would you know how to get rid off this? https://imgur.com/sCAxOic I believe I turned it off in bios but it's still there

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Oct 2020, 17:20

Mr1991 wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 07:22
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
16 Oct 2020, 16:19
Mr1991 wrote:

Just curious, would you know how to get rid off this? https://imgur.com/sCAxOic I believe I turned it off in bios but it's still there
You can also right click and select "Disable Device". It won't disappear, but it'll just be an unused vestigal USB device that is now disabled. These generally won't create any pollrate interference. The issue is interference between two active high-Hz USB devices.

yah00o

Post by yah00o » 20 Oct 2020, 22:43

Hey. Could you please specify how you achieved such small frequency variance in mousetest software? Any specific windows version or queryperformancefrequency value?