Is the reactive lighting setting on keyboard and mice viable for testing input lag?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
LLm1

Is the reactive lighting setting on keyboard and mice viable for testing input lag?

Post by LLm1 » 11 Nov 2020, 20:03

I was wondering if setting the keyboard or mouse with RGB to reactive lighting (lights up when clicked) is viable for testing input lag with a high speed camera opposed to using a modified mouse with an led soldered to the left click.

To clarify to people who don't know what I'm talking about; you record the game with a high speed camera and trigger an action with a key out mouse button rigged to an led, and count the number of frames between the led lighting up and the action occuring on screen giving you the click latency.

My main concern is whether or not the led on the reactive setting is in sync with the click, or if there's a delay in between.

jorimt

Re: Is the reactive lighting setting on keyboard and mice viable for testing input lag?

Post by jorimt » 11 Nov 2020, 21:30

LLm1 wrote:
11 Nov 2020, 20:03
I was wondering if setting the keyboard or mouse with RGB to reactive lighting (lights up when clicked) is viable for testing input lag with a high speed camera opposed to using a modified mouse with an led soldered to the left click.
Short answer is: don't bother. Long answer is: sort of, but it becomes highly involved and tedious to get any usable, reliable data.
LLm1 wrote:
11 Nov 2020, 20:03
My main concern is whether or not the led on the reactive setting is in sync with the click, or if there's a delay in between.
There is a delay, and it is usually variable. It can also depend on the device. My general impression is keyboard is worse in this respect.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

MT_

Re: Is the reactive lighting setting on keyboard and mice viable for testing input lag?

Post by MT_ » 20 Nov 2020, 17:48

Not sure, most leds on peripheral devices don't switch at 1ms iirc.

I wouldn't rely on it.
LTSC 21H2 Post-install Script
https://github.com/Marctraider/LiveScript-LTSC-21H2

System: MSI Z390 MEG Ace - 2080 Super (300W mod) - 9900K 5GHz Fixed Core (De-lid) - 32GB DDR3-3733-CL18 - Xonar Essence STX II