Anyone else get very noticable mouse lag in the nvidia overlay?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
LLm1

Anyone else get very noticable mouse lag in the nvidia overlay?

Post by LLm1 » 14 Nov 2020, 00:44

Whenever I use the "Alt + Z" function to bring up the nvidia overlay, my mouse feels very off.

Is this a common thing, it's very noticeable, it's comparable to what my mouse feels like in the bios; very sluggish, delayed, and twitchy.

jamcowl

Re: Anyone else get very noticable mouse lag in the nvidia overlay?

Post by jamcowl » 06 Jan 2021, 12:42

Similar issue here. I have no mouse acceleration or smoothing set in Windows, I have a flat linear connection between mouse and cursor and that's what I'm used to. For some reason when I press Alt+Z to use Nvidia's In-Game Overlay, my mouse is accelerating all over the place and it's very jarring. Did you find a fix or yet, LLm1? Or any info?

TTT

Post by TTT » 08 Jan 2021, 06:14

My mouse doesn't change at all when I open the overlay.

Have you got the experimental features box ticked? That caused me problems so I had to turn that off, worth a try if you have it on.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Jan 2021, 14:27

Overlays by any software will often add temporary input lag while the overlay is up. This is normal especially during VRR/VSYNC ON. There is a lot less impact during VSYNC OFF.

This is caused by a potential combination of:
- Compositing latency (like Windows desktop versus FSE, even if you're still in FSE)
- VSYNC-miss latency, possibly caused by compositing latency
- Temporary framerate cap that occurs (this is common)

This will be much worse lag at 60Hz-144Hz, and much less lag at 240Hz-360Hz. Fast GPUs on VSYNC OFF, the lag may not be noticeable at all.

Alas, this is normal, just make sure you dismiss overlays to eliminate this latency.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!