House causing PC Stutter/LAG, EMI/RFI?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
kryztripleb

House causing PC Stutter/LAG, EMI/RFI?

Post by kryztripleb » 16 Nov 2020, 03:08

I've been going crazy trying to figure why my PC and my PS4 stutters in games. First, I thought it was my PC since I barely played PS4 and didn't test the same games. Replaced so many parts, then I tested it on my PS4 and the same stuttering occurred in the same games. I thought it was my internet so I switched to a WHOLE other provider, and still the same stutters occur.

This is not a hardware issue please. I've tried everything. MULTIPLE high end PC's tested, parts replaced, 3 ISP's, Monitors, TV's, Cables. etc.

I purchased a UPS and disconnected every single thing off in my house and let it run on battery, and it did not make a difference.

I purchased a Furman power conditioner which did not help at all. Multiple monitors, etc.

Tried the 3 to 2 prong converter, didn't help.

This makes me believe something in interfering with my PC, and my PS4. Even when I purchased a brand new PC from bestbuy to test(return after), and I plugged it in, the same stutter occurred. When I play pubg too, only on PUBG which is weird, Im getting 250 FPS but it feels like 30 at times. My new Asus monitor looks much better in PUBG and it doesn't look at bad, actually feels like 200+ fps but stutters are there. These stutters occur on my TV's, monitors etc.

I don't believe whatever it is is interfering with my monitor/internet though. I purchased a PS5 and tested the same games on the same monitors and it all runs super smoothly, for now at least. I heard it can take a few days to come, but the PC I bought/returned to test, the problems occurred right at the beginning. So if it was my monitor/internet, I don't think my PS5 would be running as smooth as it is.

The worst game is PUBG, it stutters , frame skips, non stop. Games like Fortnite are a bit better, it doesn't stutter every second, but its bad. Makes you not want to play it. If I turn the graphics on ultra, it gets wayyyyy worse, and I have a PC that can run that easily, which I did in the past with no problems. Games like COD and stuff rarely stutter , but it does, but where it's actually playable, but even games I play on my PC (MMOPRG) that are 20 years old and my old potato of a PC ran properly have the same stutters at times.

I've put ferrite's on all my cables. Moved the PC all around my house, didn't help. Put it on a desk, off the desk, on a couch , etc. Bought high end cables. Wrapped the cables in foil tape. No luck.

I don't know how to describe the problem.. It feels like stutter, but also like some frames are skipping sometimes, both occur. I have no idea. It feels like if something needs to load (turning around quickly in games at times) can cause this issue.

I was thinking about putting a faraday cage but I read on here that it won't do much use.

Could my PC / Ram be "error correcting"? Which is what causes my games to stutter? Im confused why my issue would make my monitor look terribly on certain games.

I've met people where they have similar problems, which they believe is AC mains. But when they run off battery on UPS, and tried a power conditioner (worked for a couple days for them and came back) it works normally. This did not make a difference for me. Also they have terrible input lag, on desktop, in all games etc. I have 0 input lag issues, and games like Rocket League don't stutter, and some games are better/worse. So I believe my issue is different from theirs.

If anyone has any ideas on what it is or what I can do , I would really appreciate it. Anything helps. Thanks
Last edited by kryztripleb on 03 Nov 2022, 17:48, edited 2 times in total.

jorimt

Re: House causing PC Stutter/LAG, EMI/RFI?

Post by jorimt » 16 Nov 2020, 09:14

kryztripleb wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 03:08
I've been going crazy trying to figure why my PC and my PS4 stutters in games. First, I thought it was my PC since I barely played PS4 and didn't test the same games. Replaced so many parts, then I tested it on my PS4 and the same stuttering occurred in the same games. I thought it was my internet so I switched to a WHOLE other provider, and still the same stutters occur.
If it's also happening on PS4 in the same games, it must be the games. You are mostly like experiencing frametime spikes, which can't 100% be eliminated in all instances.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

TTT

Post by TTT » 16 Nov 2020, 18:10

Have you tried completely offline games? You seem to just be referring to online gaming?

How are you connecting to the internet?

Dieter

Post by Dieter » 16 Nov 2020, 19:17

I simply don't get why are people spending so much money to solve such kind of "stuttering" problems , when you could just get your own devices (PC Desktop , Monitor and everything you have connected in, PS5 or any other device you have problem with) to someone of your friend whom he is simply known for being a decent player and try at his room your devices? It's simple as that. I've seen a lot of people spent thousand of moneys miserably upgrading on something that was not defective, just there's no need to spend all this money on something that is invisible and really hard to be spot on before making sure what is causing it.

kryztripleb

Post by kryztripleb » 16 Nov 2020, 20:45

jorimt wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 09:14
kryztripleb wrote:
If it's also happening on PS4 in the same games, it must be the games. You are mostly like experiencing frametime spikes, which can't 100% be eliminated in all instances.

Like I said. Its my house. I only named those games since it happens on every single game online/offline and im not gonna write out an essay on which games since its irrelevant. Its not hardware, not game servers. I've tested everything.

kryztripleb

Post by kryztripleb » 16 Nov 2020, 20:49

Dieter wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 19:17
I simply don't get why are people spending so much money to solve such kind of "stuttering" problems , when you could just get your own devices (PC Desktop , Monitor and everything you have connected in, PS5 or any other device you have problem with) to someone of your friend whom he is simply known for being a decent player and try at his room your devices? It's simple as that. I've seen a lot of people spent thousand of moneys miserably upgrading on something that was not defective, just there's no need to spend all this money on something that is invisible and really hard to be spot on before making sure what is causing it.

All my devices work at other places. As I said, this is not hardware related. This is something in/around my house.

Why would I spent so much money trying to fix an issue? I've spent over $10k on my setup and im suppose to not do anything to figure out why Im getting these stutters? and most games are unplayable, on pc, ps4 etc? Seems like an easy choice spending even $1000. You won't understand how it feels like until it happens to you.

kryztripleb

Post by kryztripleb » 16 Nov 2020, 20:52

jorimt wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 09:14
kryztripleb wrote:
These are not "frame rate spikes" . My ping, fps is stable and runs smoothly. As I said in my post, multiple high end pc's tested, ps4s, 3 ISP's. This is something in my house causing it.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 16 Nov 2020, 22:19

kryztripleb wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 20:45
Like I said. Its my house. I only named those games since it happens on every single game online/offline and im not gonna write out an essay on which games since its irrelevant. Its not hardware, not game servers. I've tested everything.
I didn't ask you to write out anything, but some games are known for more stutter than others. The most underestimated factor during any troubleshooting of stutter is the games themselves, and I will just note here that removal of all stutter 100% of the time is impossible in current AAA PC and PS4 games.
kryztripleb wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 20:52
These are not "frame rate spikes" . My ping, fps is stable and runs smoothly. As I said in my post, multiple high end pc's tested, ps4s, 3 ISP's. This is something in my house causing it.
"Frametime" spikes. It just means the current frame is being forced to repeat over several refresh cycles until the next frame is ready for delivery, causing the appearance of stutter. The causes can be numerous (and are sometimes unavoidable).

As for PS4, unlike PC, it is a fixed platform, which means every PS4 is going to run each game virtually the same, so if you're experiencing this on your PS4 as well (online or offline), that points more to an issue with the game's inherit performance than it does to your house.

Also, if it was truly your house (especially a power/interference problem), the PS5 would have the same issues. And the one key difference between the PC and PS4 and the PS5 in this respect, is the PS5 uses brand new technology to reduce asset load-related stutter with its SSD, and the other two don't.

That aside, whether you're experiencing more stutter than you should be on the PC/PS4 is difficult to determine in text, so things such as phone video captures and/or Afterburner frametime graphs of the issue can be helpful, since each user's definition of "stutter" and whether it is acceptable or not tends to vary (sometimes to the extreme).
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

kryztripleb

Post by kryztripleb » 17 Nov 2020, 03:22

jorimt wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 22:19
kryztripleb wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 20:45
I didn't ask you to write out anything, but some games are known for more stutter than others. The most underestimated factor during any troubleshooting of stutter is the games themselves, and I will just note here that removal of all stutter 100% of the time is impossible in current AAA PC and PS4 games.
kryztripleb wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 20:52
"Frametime" spikes. It just means the current frame is being forced to repeat over several refresh cycles until the next frame is ready for delivery, causing the appearance of stutter. The causes can be numerous (and are sometimes unavoidable).

As for PS4, unlike PC, it is a fixed platform, which means every PS4 is going to run each game virtually the same, so if you're experiencing this on your PS4 as well (online or offline), that points more to an issue with the game's inherit performance than it does to your house.

Also, if it was truly your house (especially a power/interference problem), the PS5 would have the same issues. And the one key difference between the PC and PS4 and the PS5 in this respect, is the PS5 uses brand new technology to reduce asset load-related stutter with its SSD, and the other two don't.

That aside, whether you're experiencing more stutter than you should be on the PC/PS4 is difficult to determine in text, so things such as phone video captures and/or Afterburner frametime graphs of the issue can be helpful, since each user's definition of "stutter" and whether it is acceptable or not tends to vary (sometimes to the extreme).
I understand where you are coming from. But please hear me out when I say this is not related to game servers or something wrong with my PC.. I've tested MULITPLE brand new 4k + PC's tested, brand new high end PC's, Mobile, 3 ISP's, Monitors, TV's, Multiple PS4's, etc. The same games I test on my PC, all have the same stutters on a device such a PS4, and even Mobile. My PC runs smoothly in other places, and when I bring it back here , it doesn't.

These "stutters, or whatever is occurring" are definitely not normal. At times when I hop on Pubg, I have 250 fps, but the monitor clarity looks like shit and feels like its getting 30 FPS on a 280hz monitor, with terrible stutters, it runs the worse, and the same as it does on PS4/PC. (Multiple monitors, multiple PC's, ISP's) .In the discord im in, users can relate to this but it seems like my issue differs from the issues they have. They have input , terrible clarity non stop and every game is affected, and power conditioner solved their issues for 2 days until it came back. I don't get that and anything i've tried hasn't helped it one bit. For me, it seems like it differs by game, I don't know what is causing some to be bad and some atleast playable.. It could be error correcting, but I don't know much about how that works so I can't speak on that. I'll record a video later today and post it on here.

kryztripleb

Post by kryztripleb » 17 Nov 2020, 04:23

Also another thing is:

This issue went away randomly for 3 days without me doing nothing. All my devices worked fine, on every single game, and on the same games had problems on all my devices. It was beautiful. No stutters, etc. No idea what happened. Then it randomly came back.