FSO vs. Exclusive Fullscreen

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
1000WATT

Re: FSO vs. Exclusive Fullscreen

Post by 1000WATT » 25 Nov 2020, 15:10

howiec wrote:
22 Nov 2020, 11:56
1000WATT wrote:
22 Nov 2020, 02:43
this is fse 100%
version 2004? I'll have to try. thanks for the information.
Np, but just reiterating, FSE was also working for me on several of the previous versions of Windows including v1909.
I understood why I couldn't run apex in fse mode before. Now everything has become clear. If part of the functionality of the game mode is cut, the system does not define apex as a game and an entry in the GameConfigStore \ Children section does not appear in the registry. If the functionality of the game mode is full, then the entry in the registry appears automatically, if this does not happen automatically for some reason, the game can be added manually through the game bar "remember as a game".
And only then you can make changes that lead to fse.
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 25 Nov 2020, 15:25

A little about the game mode.
It is possible to check whether the game mode is enabled or not.
Establish a balanced meal plan.
processor power management
maximum processor state 99%

the processor frequency is reduced to nominal.

If the system understands that the application you are running is a "game". It will turn on the game mode and the processor will go into boost with the maximum frequency.

Perhaps the game mode switches the power plan. I don't know for sure.
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 25 Nov 2020, 15:49

jorimt wrote:
24 Nov 2020, 10:12
diakou wrote:
24 Nov 2020, 00:34
We have no way of knowing what more effects the debate and why it feels marginally worse for some people, even though there's a statistically "insignificant" change between FSO and FSE. Resources not being focused entirely on the window maybe?
With the info already available to us, whatever they're feeling is almost certainly not directly due to FSO vs. exclusive fullscreen.

It could be psychological. It could be a variety of other factors separate of FSO that may indirectly affect it in some "mysterious" way. It could be a mix of both, but I'm merely focusing on what IS known and can be ruled out.
The problem is that an application that was running every day in fso mode suddenly started in composite + dmw mode. Or after alt + tab it doesn't always return in fso.
Perhaps this is the reason why people have strange sensations in mouse behavior.

This is the reason why I want to be in fse all the time. I don't want to guess if the mode switched to fso or not, after my next alt + tab.

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 25 Nov 2020, 16:25

Yes, having two monitors, you can monitor these modes through PresentMon.
but I don't want to use the second monitor exclusively for this purpose 24/7.
Bought 3080 and couldn't use 1607 anymore. :(

Information about the modes from PresentMon64 for those who want to figure out what we are talking about.
fso.jpg
fso.jpg (46.55 KiB) Viewed 5908 times

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 25 Nov 2020, 16:50

When I discussed the not recommended sync method, ss + gsync. I did not understand why they were so indifferent to him. It turned out that it simply does not work on versions different from WDDM 2.1. Newer versions were already available at that time.
I found out about this only a month ago, after I bought a 3080 instead of a 1080ti. :lol:

Here's an example of what I'm talking about.
bf1 160fps
gsync + vsync rtss 160 limit + ss
vs
gsync + vsync rtss 160 limit

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10pie_O ... sp=sharing
Do not be lazy to download and open a picture to view the image without scaling. Notice how the frame time fluctuates between 6.24 and 6.26.
I have not tried the special k mod, it may be close or better, but my preferred method did it with any application in one click.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 25 Nov 2020, 17:33

1000WATT wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 15:49
The problem is that an application that was running every day in fso mode suddenly started in composite + dmw mode. Or after alt + tab it doesn't always return in fso.
Perhaps this is the reason why people have strange sensations in mouse behavior.
I haven't experienced that myself, but it could certainly help explain some users' observances, and should be further investigated and reported if it is indeed the case (good luck getting Microsoft to replicate it and fix it though :roll:)

That said, my commentary in this thread thus far has been entirely based on the presumption that FSO is working as intended in the posed scenarios.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

TTT

Post by TTT » 26 Nov 2020, 08:16

1000WATT wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 15:10
howiec wrote:
22 Nov 2020, 11:56
1000WATT wrote:
22 Nov 2020, 02:43
this is fse 100%
version 2004? I'll have to try. thanks for the information.
Np, but just reiterating, FSE was also working for me on several of the previous versions of Windows including v1909.
I understood why I couldn't run apex in fse mode before. Now everything has become clear. If part of the functionality of the game mode is cut, the system does not define apex as a game and an entry in the GameConfigStore \ Children section does not appear in the registry. If the functionality of the game mode is full, then the entry in the registry appears automatically, if this does not happen automatically for some reason, the game can be added manually through the game bar "remember as a game".
And only then you can make changes that lead to fse.
If this is the reason FSO isn't activating on ticking the 'disable fso' box in the .EXE, how do you fix it?

Like I mentioned earlier on in the thread also, sometimes the game will randomly be on exclusive fullscreen (No sound bar overlay, no alt+tabbing off without the black screen). I hadn't done anything to make it go off but then next game launch its on again.

chenifa

Post by chenifa » 26 Nov 2020, 09:42

@1000WATT
I restored my Children folder with gamebar and set "Flags" to 211 hex....it still doesn't work unfortunately. Have you managed to get FSE back?

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 26 Nov 2020, 20:30

chenifa wrote:
26 Nov 2020, 09:42
@1000WATT
I restored my Children folder with gamebar and set "Flags" to 211 hex....it still doesn't work unfortunately. Have you managed to get FSE back?
I used the assembly suggested in this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7813&p=60390&hilit ... tre#p60390
Use it if you like, but only for familiarization. It is far from ideal. But the FSE works on it in all applications that are capable of working in this mode.
https://youtu.be/ClGqVLVEs2c

chenifa

Post by chenifa » 27 Nov 2020, 07:34

@1000WATT
This worked for you on apex legends? I did disable dwm before and I can run games that have FSO disabled in the first place....but apex doesn't start without dwm....
In your post before you said restoring the children folder is what lets you fix FSE, I assume this didn't work for you afterall then?