Weird input and visual lag

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
wyrko_o

Weird input and visual lag

Post by wyrko_o » 10 Dec 2020, 12:43

Hello, everybody. I dont really know how to begin with my explanation of the problem, its really weird and I have it for years, but now I finally decided to create an account and make a post bout it, I really hope you are going to help me out to solve it. First let me mention that I have changed many pcs, laptops, monitors, mouses and keyboards, tried different ISPs and Windows versions, went to friends and played on their machines, also brought mines there. I have read n tried every single possible fix on the internet, but unfortunately nothing helps. I play mainly shooters - CS:GO, 1.6 and also DOTA. So my problem is the weird visual and input lag when moving the mouse, whenever I play CS and for example press Mouse1 to shoot there is like 0.5 sec delay between my click and the shot being actually displayed on my monitor. When I move my mouse it feels like there is acceleration but there actually isn't any. It feels like my character is 200kg and it has difficulties to move and shoot or in DOTA to cast spells and move around. It's the same even on my desktop, my mouse feels heavy even there. The only thing that makes my games little smoother, but not even close to perfection, is playing a youtube video (1080p or more). Sometimes my games run perfect and when that happens I simply destroy every enemy player, usually Im used to being called cheater because im better than most of the players in my country. Usually then my mouse feels so light and easy to control even on my desktop, but thats rare anyway. But right now I feel really miserable and I cannot fight with this problem alone anymore, so Im begging for your help. Thank u in advance!

TTT

Re: Weird input and visual lag

Post by TTT » 11 Dec 2020, 07:59

wyrko_o wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 12:43
Hello, everybody. I dont really know how to begin with my explanation of the problem, its really weird and I have it for years, but now I finally decided to create an account and make a post bout it, I really hope you are going to help me out to solve it. First let me mention that I have changed many pcs, laptops, monitors, mouses and keyboards, tried different ISPs and Windows versions, went to friends and played on their machines, also brought mines there. I have read n tried every single possible fix on the internet, but unfortunately nothing helps. I play mainly shooters - CS:GO, 1.6 and also DOTA. So my problem is the weird visual and input lag when moving the mouse, whenever I play CS and for example press Mouse1 to shoot there is like 0.5 sec delay between my click and the shot being actually displayed on my monitor. When I move my mouse it feels like there is acceleration but there actually isn't any. It feels like my character is 200kg and it has difficulties to move and shoot or in DOTA to cast spells and move around. It's the same even on my desktop, my mouse feels heavy even there. The only thing that makes my games little smoother, but not even close to perfection, is playing a youtube video (1080p or more). Sometimes my games run perfect and when that happens I simply destroy every enemy player, usually Im used to being called cheater because im better than most of the players in my country. Usually then my mouse feels so light and easy to control even on my desktop, but thats rare anyway. But right now I feel really miserable and I cannot fight with this problem alone anymore, so Im begging for your help. Thank u in advance!
Have you cleaned your mouse pad?

dervu

Post by dervu » 11 Dec 2020, 09:09

Dirty mousepad doesn't make your character feel heavy.
Ryzen 7950X3D / MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio / ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS / 2x16GB DDR5@6000 G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279QM / Logitech G PRO X SUPERLIGHT / SkyPAD Glass 3.0 / Wooting 60HE / DT 700 PRO X || EMI Input lag issue survivor

wyrko_o

Post by wyrko_o » 11 Dec 2020, 09:31

Unfortunately it is not the mouse pad, the feeling is like my pc/laptop or perephrials are lacking enough power to process everything. Even when I used to play on 144hz it felt like 60.

TTT

Post by TTT » 11 Dec 2020, 09:46

You need to post your PC specs.

Are you monitoring the PC when it is happening? What is the usage?

Heavy/laggy mouse and laggy screen can happen when you completely saturate your CPU.

wyrko_o

Post by wyrko_o » 11 Dec 2020, 12:41

TTT wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 09:46
You need to post your PC specs.

Are you monitoring the PC when it is happening? What is the usage?

Heavy/laggy mouse and laggy screen can happen when you completely saturate your CPU.
The reason I haven't mentioned my specs is because it happens on multiple devices such as pcs or laptops as I stated in the opening post, so I guess it's either something I'm doing wrong in my settings and tweaks or something related to different windows bugs which affects my games. I currently have only 2 laptops available. The one I am using as primary for light gaming and surfing the net is Lenovo with APU Ryzen 5 3500u, Vega 8, 8 GB ram dual channel 2666 but due to limitation of the cpu it runs only at 2400mhz and SSD. I have two mices - Logitech G102 and Logitech G305 with QCK and Logitech G440 pads. Most of the time I use the G102 and the 440 as a combination. When I play DOTA or when I used to play 1.6 my cpu and gpu had almost no utilisation, they are really old singlecore games. And yes, I also clean my pads and perephrials very often so thats also not the problem. It feels like my monitor or the display of the laptop is running at 60hz when it isnt, also feels like all my perephrials lack enough power to process my movements and clicks. I dont really know how to explain it, people who play rocket league call it Heavy car bug, those who play fps games call it just input lag but I know we are all talking about the same problem and it's also not the game. How do I know? Well I started playing dota 2-3 years ago when I quit 1.6 and guess what? I'm having difficulties there too. I have changed almost everything I could think of so basically there is almost nothing left to try, this made me think that there is something I'm doing wrong with my settings that screws up all of my games. Also what is worth to mention is that all my devices have integrated sound and ethernet adapters Realtek. I remember when I used to play 1.6 at almost pro level 10 years ago I had terrible specs but my game ran flawlessly when I had Cmedia sound device and Win XP, but time flies and here we are.

TTT

Post by TTT » 11 Dec 2020, 13:41

So it is probably your internet? Are you referring to online games only?

If it is a laptop and also 2 different laptops, that means you can isolate the theory of your home power causing it because you can run off the laptop power and not even be connected to your mains. If it isn't online games only and you aren't connected to your mains, then like you said maybe you are messing something up with the settings. Most of the time default settings should work fine, people just like messing with things, try just defaulting everything and testing things 1 at a time.

When you say you have tried different internet providers, you have the same line into your house. So unless you are getting a completely new installed fibre direct to your property, the line to your house is the same with any provider, so the problems on the line are the same problems on the line whoever you go with.

Have you tried setting up a BQM for a week or so and monitoring it? https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadban ... ng/quality

Also download pingplotter https://www.pingplotter.com/ and read some of the guides of how to anaylze it and leave it running and see how that is.

wyrko_o

Post by wyrko_o » 11 Dec 2020, 13:52

It just cannot be my internet, because I have changed three different ISPs for the last 2 years, also when I bring my laptop to a friend the issue remains there too. I have no packet loss or high jitter, this is the first thing to check when playing online but the issue occures also in offline mode, so it's definitely something in my settings or configurations that has a conflict with the games I play. Forgot to mention that sometimes it goes away after few consecutive restarts and most likely occures and remains there after cold boot. For example when I shut the laptop/pc down overnight and when I turn them on back. It feels better when I have something to run in the background like 1080p video in youtube with sound. It's really specific, but for sure it's not network or power related.

deama

Post by deama » 11 Dec 2020, 14:19

wyrko_o wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 12:43
From your description, it looks like some sort of electrical problem probably, either that or an internet issue. Have you experienced these problems on a single-player game?

TTT

Post by TTT » 11 Dec 2020, 15:04

wyrko_o wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 13:52
It just cannot be my internet, because I have changed three different ISPs for the last 2 years, also when I bring my laptop to a friend the issue remains there too. I have no packet loss or high jitter, this is the first thing to check when playing online but the issue occures also in offline mode, so it's definitely something in my settings or configurations that has a conflict with the games I play. Forgot to mention that sometimes it goes away after few consecutive restarts and most likely occures and remains there after cold boot. For example when I shut the laptop/pc down overnight and when I turn them on back. It feels better when I have something to run in the background like 1080p video in youtube with sound. It's really specific, but for sure it's not network or power related.
Well if you have had at least 2 different laptops and the same issue happens in at least 2 different locations, I would say its pretty safe to assume its you causing the problem by like already mentioned changing settings or something you are installing on it?

Just default everything, are you using any monitoring software? I find on my PC any monitoring software active while I play a game causes issues, I guess because its jacking into you computer to read the info so just turn it off.

Have you tried installing latencymon?

I use powerline adapters which aren't ideal because I get huge spikes direct to my router quite often, but if use my wireless adapter I get huge DPC latency spikes caused by the wireless adapter which is shown by latencymon.