Electrical issue(s) | "Floaty" mouse?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
ball2hi

Electrical issue(s) | "Floaty" mouse?

Post by ball2hi » 26 Dec 2020, 16:21

I understand there is another thread on this:
https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopi ... =10&t=7771
But I wanted to create my own thread for my findings/issues/discussions. If this is a problem though, I don't mind posting in that thread.

I want to preface this by saying, I try super hard to not blindly accept something no matter who it's stated by. I like to engage in first-hand experience and generally force myself to play with different configurations (HPET, HW Accel, ect.) for weeks/months before coming to a conclusion. This is to try and prevent placebo.

Prologue - Skip if you want
So I've been playing shooters since 2009, and prior to that played a lot of MMO and RTS games since like, 2004? I feel like, if I've played shooters (some even competitively) for over 10 years, I should at least be really good at it no? Sometime between 2013 - 2014, I think was my peak ability for aiming. I played in some FPS tournaments and always did rather well, for someone who had a really crappy computer. However on my very last match of a tournament, for some reason my aim was really, really awful. Since then I haven't felt confident in my aim, at all.

You would think that, once I got better hardware my confidence in my ability would improve but if anything it stagnated or got worse. I went from livestreaming/gaming with an "HD" AMD graphics card series and a single-core processor to (now) a 3800X w/ 32GB DDR4 C14 RAM and a 2080. As well, as two (Decent IPS) 165hz 1440p displays.

My aim now, sure is more precise on slow targets where I have to make less adjustments but if there is a target that moves faster than crawl speed I couldn't be precise at all. And even then when I have to be precise, I have to hold my mice so incredibly tight to control them that my wrists hurt.

Like, it's been very frustrating because, here I am someone who's played shooters for +10 years and have been on a computer for probably +90% of my teen -> adult life and I struggle with just clicking things on just the desktop. I've felt like something besides myself has been holding me back.
Assuming you didn't read the above, this is my issue: After +10 years of shooters/PC usage I have to hold my mice very tight and feel incredibly unconfident with my aim. I feel like I'm being held back by something other than my own skill.

Here is a super recent clip of me from Overwatch:
phpBB [video]

(Here's a much older video with similar precision: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDbos6FIjdI)

The point I'm trying to make with these videos is that, I have the ability to be precise. However, I know from both of those videos I had to clench my mouse so hard to maintain that precision that I had a lot of wrist and back-hand pain.

My mouse feels jittery/floaty, to the point where I can't even feel confident clicking desktop elements on a 165hz 1440p display.

I've been on both ends of the spectrum in terms of mouse sensitivity, like playing a few months with 7in/360, and playing a year+ with 24in/360. I changed my sensitivity a lot.

I've tried a multitude of mice of the years. Different monitors, from different brands. Two completely separate computer builds. And two different housing locations. My previous house would regularly have water damage that affected my internet. After every downpour I'd have to call my ISP to come look at my internet, and they would always find serious corrosion damage at wherever their wiring would go through. My current house is a very old home, to the point that they used to have no concrete roads out here and it was mostly dirt.

I know over the many years that I've tried looking into this, I always found somewhere someone discussing something about electrical (EMI?) issues. A few months ago I decided to buy this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002D017M/ Unfortunately, it felt like it did little to no good in solving my issue.

I know that, for a while, I used to run Spread Spectrum off since it made my mouse feel too slow. I think however, it might have been because I had made so many different OS/regedit configurations and so many different applications installed that I didn't see an improve with it initially. I recently formatted my entire computer, deciding to start off fresh and minimizing any changes I would make based off the multitudes of information you find on the internet about "this one regedit change solved my input lag!" and whatnot.

So in trying to play Overwatch (custom aim arena), I finally grew fed up with how jittery my aim felt and see there there is just simply nothing left to change with my applications and basic OS stuff (IE. Game mode on/off, HPET on/off). I decided why not, turn on Spread Spectrum.

I feel like turning on Spread Spectrum just completely solved my issues. My mouse feels slow, but super consistent and not jittery. I feel like I can properly click desktop elements and I can aim at someone's head without having to deathgrip my mouse and make multiple aim adjustments.

The thing that I'm curious about here is, isn't Spread Spectrum just some FDA requirement that is really only useful when EMI is present? If Spread Spectrum is solving my issue, then maybe I do have some EMI problems? I went ahead and ordered one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RUL2UU/ and it'll be here on Monday. If the lights show "correct" though, I'm going to be very confused as to why it feels spread spectrum drastically changes how my mouse feels?

Unixko

Re: Electrical issue(s) | "Floaty" mouse?

Post by Unixko » 26 Dec 2020, 16:55

ball2hi wrote:
26 Dec 2020, 16:21
I understand there is another thread on this:
https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopi ... =10&t=7771
But I wanted to create my own thread for my findings/issues/discussions. If this is a problem though, I don't mind posting in that thread.

I want to preface this by saying, I try super hard to not blindly accept something no matter who it's stated by. I like to engage in first-hand experience and generally force myself to play with different configurations (HPET, HW Accel, ect.) for weeks/months before coming to a conclusion. This is to try and prevent placebo.

Prologue - Skip if you want
So I've been playing shooters since 2009, and prior to that played a lot of MMO and RTS games since like, 2004? I feel like, if I've played shooters (some even competitively) for over 10 years, I should at least be really good at it no? Sometime between 2013 - 2014, I think was my peak ability for aiming. I played in some FPS tournaments and always did rather well, for someone who had a really crappy computer. However on my very last match of a tournament, for some reason my aim was really, really awful. Since then I haven't felt confident in my aim, at all.

You would think that, once I got better hardware my confidence in my ability would improve but if anything it stagnated or got worse. I went from livestreaming/gaming with an "HD" AMD graphics card series and a single-core processor to (now) a 3800X w/ 32GB DDR4 C14 RAM and a 2080. As well, as two (Decent IPS) 165hz 1440p displays.

My aim now, sure is more precise on slow targets where I have to make less adjustments but if there is a target that moves faster than crawl speed I couldn't be precise at all. And even then when I have to be precise, I have to hold my mice so incredibly tight to control them that my wrists hurt.

Like, it's been very frustrating because, here I am someone who's played shooters for +10 years and have been on a computer for probably +90% of my teen -> adult life and I struggle with just clicking things on just the desktop. I've felt like something besides myself has been holding me back.
Assuming you didn't read the above, this is my issue: After +10 years of shooters/PC usage I have to hold my mice very tight and feel incredibly unconfident with my aim. I feel like I'm being held back by something other than my own skill.

Here is a super recent clip of me from Overwatch:
phpBB [video]

(Here's a much older video with similar precision: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDbos6FIjdI)

The point I'm trying to make with these videos is that, I have the ability to be precise. However, I know from both of those videos I had to clench my mouse so hard to maintain that precision that I had a lot of wrist and back-hand pain.

My mouse feels jittery/floaty, to the point where I can't even feel confident clicking desktop elements on a 165hz 1440p display.

I've been on both ends of the spectrum in terms of mouse sensitivity, like playing a few months with 7in/360, and playing a year+ with 24in/360. I changed my sensitivity a lot.

I've tried a multitude of mice of the years. Different monitors, from different brands. Two completely separate computer builds. And two different housing locations. My previous house would regularly have water damage that affected my internet. After every downpour I'd have to call my ISP to come look at my internet, and they would always find serious corrosion damage at wherever their wiring would go through. My current house is a very old home, to the point that they used to have no concrete roads out here and it was mostly dirt.

I know over the many years that I've tried looking into this, I always found somewhere someone discussing something about electrical (EMI?) issues. A few months ago I decided to buy this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002D017M/ Unfortunately, it felt like it did little to no good in solving my issue.

I know that, for a while, I used to run Spread Spectrum off since it made my mouse feel too slow. I think however, it might have been because I had made so many different OS/regedit configurations and so many different applications installed that I didn't see an improve with it initially. I recently formatted my entire computer, deciding to start off fresh and minimizing any changes I would make based off the multitudes of information you find on the internet about "this one regedit change solved my input lag!" and whatnot.

So in trying to play Overwatch (custom aim arena), I finally grew fed up with how jittery my aim felt and see there there is just simply nothing left to change with my applications and basic OS stuff (IE. Game mode on/off, HPET on/off). I decided why not, turn on Spread Spectrum.

I feel like turning on Spread Spectrum just completely solved my issues. My mouse feels slow, but super consistent and not jittery. I feel like I can properly click desktop elements and I can aim at someone's head without having to deathgrip my mouse and make multiple aim adjustments.

The thing that I'm curious about here is, isn't Spread Spectrum just some FDA requirement that is really only useful when EMI is present? If Spread Spectrum is solving my issue, then maybe I do have some EMI problems? I went ahead and ordered one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RUL2UU/ and it'll be here on Monday. If the lights show "correct" though, I'm going to be very confused as to why it feels spread spectrum drastically changes how my mouse feels?
there was guy from OC who say he can feel that change always when he try on and off spread spectrum but overtime its come back again do the shit its always matter how strong your emi is

Anonymous768119

Post by Anonymous768119 » 26 Dec 2020, 19:19

Turning on Spread Spectrum made my experience in CS:GO much worse. With 15 ms ping I felt like I am having additional 100 ms delay.

timecard

Post by timecard » 27 Dec 2020, 14:06

I've been researching this type of issue for a while as I live near some pretty nasty sources of interference, slowly gathering tools/knowledge to help isolate general causes/impacts. You may be able to alter your configuration and environment to reduce the impacts so that the sways between good and bad are far less (actually enjoyable)

You might find this information on my github research and technical references useful in your journey.
https://github.com/djdallmann/GamingPCS ... e-coupling
Physical Configuration - Power and Peripheral Cable Routing.png
Physical Configuration - Power and Peripheral Cable Routing.png (94.55 KiB) Viewed 12792 times

ball2hi

Post by ball2hi » 29 Dec 2020, 12:48

timecard wrote:
27 Dec 2020, 14:06
I've been researching this type of issue for a while as I live near some pretty nasty sources of interference, slowly gathering tools/knowledge to help isolate general causes/impacts. You may be able to alter your configuration and environment to reduce the impacts so that the sways between good and bad are far less (actually enjoyable)

You might find this information on my github research and technical references useful in your journey.

Physical Configuration - Power and Peripheral Cable Routing.png
Yeah, I read that and decided to do my best to manage my wires. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of room, and I have a lot of devices connected so at best devices individually have their cables tied together, to try and get everything to not touch.

JDoe

Post by JDoe » 14 Feb 2021, 08:07

I have enabled Spread Spectrum today and immediately felt that mouse input became slower and less "floaty". Then I went to Google to check out if anyone else has experienced the same effect and found your post. So it's not a placebo then.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Feb 2021, 17:26

JDoe wrote:
14 Feb 2021, 08:07
I have enabled Spread Spectrum today and immediately felt that mouse input became slower and less "floaty". Then I went to Google to check out if anyone else has experienced the same effect and found your post. So it's not a placebo then.
Spread Spectrum has pros/cons.

It can improve EMI-resistance but increase lag.

If your EMI is bad enough, Spread Spectrum may improve things by using more spectrum outside the EMI problem region to transmit electronic signals over cables and circuit paths that are undergoing interference problems. But Spread Spectrum can also add weird latencies.

It's often a "use when there's no choice" thing. It's a pick-poison that is very person-dependant (system dependant, location dependant, etc) -- which can be a choice of unusable system (crash/laggier-by-heavy-ECC-from-EMI/etc) versus a laggy setup (lag from Spread Spectrum behaviors).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Feb 2021, 17:32

ball2hi wrote:
26 Dec 2020, 16:21
I went ahead and ordered one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RUL2UU/ and it'll be here on Monday. If the lights show "correct" though, I'm going to be very confused as to why it feels spread spectrum drastically changes how my mouse feels?
This tool won't necessarily troubleshoot interference (EMI) fully. It might, and you may get lucky. But it's a limited-troubleshoot tool.

Metaphorically, it's like you just purchased an AM/FM radio (88 MHz to 108 MHz) but you might have interference in WiFi frequencies instead (2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, 6 GHz). Power wires can carry all kinds of frequencies -- e.g. sometimes you can pick up radio stations and WiFi signals that were injected into the power wiring. Remember that coaxial cable & over-the-air has an almost identical analog TV signal: Structured signal instead of interference, which can be OTA (rabbit airs) but can be transmitted over a copper wire (RG59/RG60 coax). Just like a signal, inteference are be unwanted signals (or random noise) that is going over the wrong conduit (like the power to your computer, or a circuit path to your memory chip, or a USB wire to your mouse, etc). Whether it's a milliwatt transformer, or a megawatt radio station -- inteference can be small or huge on your electricity wiring. And not all tools will detect it!

Interference (EMI) is a vastly complex universe of infinite kinds of EMI, and the tool you just purchased only covers very specific kinds.

Interference (EMI) can come from any frequency, whether 1 Hz or 1 terahertz or whatever -- and over wires, or over circuit paths, or over the air -- and interference may happen simultaneously on thousands or millions of frequencies at the same time -- the spectrum of possible interference is mindbogglingly huge.

I'm not going to be surprised/confused if your tester says "correct" and you still have problems. These testers are useful for diagnosing common electricity problems, but won't tell you whether a malfunctioning appliance in the same neighborhood is injecting interference into your neighborhood's wiring powerful enough to affect your computer, and won't tell you if interference is coming over the airwaves (e.g. pylong transmission towers, cell tower, radio broadcast tower, etc) and injecting into your power wiring. Or a crappy power pole hydro transformer that's distorting your electricity a bit, or a cheap power supply having problems rejecting noise from an old fridge compressor, or house electricity wiring that's a bit loose and causing flicker/brownouts, or other mudane EMI and non-EMI problems. There are many tools in a toolbox for testing electricity.

So, it is pointless to be "very confused". I'm humbly warning you in advance that microscopes don't always double as telescopes.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

fatehasfans

Post by fatehasfans » 16 Mar 2021, 09:36

Hi there,

I have the same issues, exactly the same. Floaty mouse, though I have slight input lag also with my mouse clicks, keyboard key presses etc but this is only subtly noticeable so day to day use is fine but in gaming it pretty much ruins competitive level play.

Regarding the EMI is there a way (more effective tools) that could be used to diagnose the problem more clearly?

I have tried everything except diagnosing 'noise' or inconsistent power/electricity.

I'm all ears though!

Uchihax

Post by Uchihax » 30 May 2021, 23:06

did u solve this problem? have it too since 2016 plz help