Line EMI meter - extreme values

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Anonymous768119

Line EMI meter - extreme values

Post by Anonymous768119 » 29 Dec 2020, 16:16

So finally I managed to get Line EMI meter and result is as follows:

Already checked that the value is not dependent on any devices in my flat, circuits and time. You have to admit it looks astonishing. In the past I was complaining here about huge desync, input lag, erratic mouse movement, non-responsive keyboard, intensified ghosting on my monitor and most propably I found the guilty. Unfortunately I've heard opinions that my electricity supplier will be completely indifferent to this problem (welcome to Poland).

Beside this, have any of you experienced such a horrendous noise in your electrical installation? Were you able to fix it somehow?

riddlaaaaa

Re: Line EMI meter - extreme values

Post by riddlaaaaa » 29 Dec 2020, 17:02

i recently brought a EMI meter and was getting like 600+ in the day which was the worst time for my input lag and washed out looking monitor and desync... then late at night i was getting 100 on the EMI meter...Thats when my input lag is much better (still not perfect)...

I brought 3 EMI filter plugs.

Since ive had these plugged in (2 upstairs next to my computer and 1 downstairs) my input lag has improved slightly especially in the daytime

Now the EMI meter reads less than 50 allday every day so the dirty electricity has some sort of effect on my PC/monitors/router

Ive done many tests while my pc is idle ....the plug sockets in the extention next to the pc plug has lower numbers on the EMI meter....then when im gaming the numbers get much higher.
I also unplug my TV the other side of my room because that bumps up the EMI number slightly even if the TV is on standby mode.

I was going to make a post about this myself but i was gonna wait a few weeks until i was 100% sure these helped my input lag.
Normally changing settings/cables/drivers...etc makes the input lag go away for a few hours/days...then allways leaks its way back in.... but im sure those filters have helped ...it still doesnt feel absolutely perfect though .......Maybe the dirty electricity has slightly damaged our pcs power supply unit.

Unixko

Post by Unixko » 29 Dec 2020, 19:15

a_c_r_e_a_l wrote:
29 Dec 2020, 16:16
So finally I managed to get Line EMI meter and result is as follows:

Already checked that the value is not dependent on any devices in my flat, circuits and time. You have to admit it looks astonishing. In the past I was complaining here about huge desync, input lag, erratic mouse movement, non-responsive keyboard, intensified ghosting on my monitor and most propably I found the guilty. Unfortunately I've heard opinions that my electricity supplier will be completely indifferent to this problem (welcome to Poland).

Beside this, have any of you experienced such a horrendous noise in your electrical installation? Were you able to fix it somehow?
ye X7007 from OC was able to reduced this number from high to lower like something about 100 MV per outlet with green emi filters and then he buy super expensive
https://www.gigastore.sk/podnikove/apc- ... -230v-lcd/
and claim it is fixed but it was like 1 Month ago and he never come back to confirm thats is still fixed after 1 month
you can find his topic there
https://www.overclock.net/forum/375-mic ... ss-42.html
page 31

Unixko

Post by Unixko » 30 Dec 2020, 03:17

riddlaaaaa wrote:
29 Dec 2020, 17:02
i recently brought a EMI meter and was getting like 600+ in the day which was the worst time for my input lag and washed out looking monitor and desync... then late at night i was getting 100 on the EMI meter...Thats when my input lag is much better (still not perfect)...

I brought 3 EMI filter plugs.

Since ive had these plugged in (2 upstairs next to my computer and 1 downstairs) my input lag has improved slightly especially in the daytime

Now the EMI meter reads less than 50 allday every day so the dirty electricity has some sort of effect on my PC/monitors/router

Ive done many tests while my pc is idle ....the plug sockets in the extention next to the pc plug has lower numbers on the EMI meter....then when im gaming the numbers get much higher.
I also unplug my TV the other side of my room because that bumps up the EMI number slightly even if the TV is on standby mode.

I was going to make a post about this myself but i was gonna wait a few weeks until i was 100% sure these helped my input lag.
Normally changing settings/cables/drivers...etc makes the input lag go away for a few hours/days...then allways leaks its way back in.... but im sure those filters have helped ...it still doesnt feel absolutely perfect though .......Maybe the dirty electricity has slightly damaged our pcs power supply unit.
this is what i am curios about even if somehow people reduced emi to 100-50 mv they still had issue like its not perfect for them how the fuck then others had no issue at all like they have build pc without emi or wtf
for me idk why even on good place without emi , emi pc can affect whole electrical network after some time

Anonymous768119

Post by Anonymous768119 » 30 Dec 2020, 10:16

Energy company will make an initial investigation. If they will not find anything, then I have to pay around 100$ for detailed measurements so I think it's good deal. Btw I've noticed today, that I had around 800mV and after running my PC it increased to 1800mV. Is it possible that my high-end PC is such a huge source of EMI?

sonexs

Post by sonexs » 30 Dec 2020, 15:17

a_c_r_e_a_l wrote:
30 Dec 2020, 10:16
1. I brought 3 EMI filter plugs
2. Is it possible that my high-end PC is such a huge source of EMI?
introduction:
hi man, i have same device like you and similiar high readings.
i tested a lot of conditioners, different types and companys. also online double ups. all of them seem to even higher up my values on the emi meter.

1. which plugs did you buy? all of my tested devices raised the emi
2. same for me, when pc is connected to the outlet, emi goes way up

values can change pretty much, like day- and nighttime, random.
usually its between 400-1700mV (1800mV was my peek)

nuggify

Post by nuggify » 30 Dec 2020, 17:11

These threads are popping up near daily at this point. So I think we need to get some things straight here. First off many people have this problem. We do not know what the source is. We theorized a lot but it seems to me that the noise floor is somehow substantially elevated for where we are at, and so any normal interference totally messes up our PC (electrical interference is always present to some degree in any environment). This is likely due to the signal reference being polluted. This is an interesting thread because I have heard the same- that higher line EMI results correlate with worst lag, however low ones do not mean the problem is gone. And furthermore you can find a fixed location (place without any of these issues) and it may even have higher EMI line meter results. What this means? The EMI (differential mode noise that this meter measures) is not in fact the problem. It is just another symptom, and another form of noise that interferes with the PC as a result, provided you have this problem at your location.

Although symptoms for users with these electrical in nature PC problems vary, overall they are very similar. And more and more people are realizing they suffer this. Soon it will be mainstream enough that we will catch the attention of someone that can really do deeper investigation of this. Until then we are doing our best to test, and document the results. PM me if you want an invite to a discord discussing this problem in more depth.

One thing I will add is that many things can temporarily improve the symptoms. So the waters get very muddy, with people constantly reporting "fixes" despite no such thing occurring. Something about their setup or environment changed creating temporary relief of the symptoms. I have observed this effect countless times. I have found things that work to cause it however they offer only minor improvements. To date only one thing has permanent effects (and only for some people). Improving your grounding system in your home to make it much lower resistance. The only person that completely mitigated the issue that I know of did it with chemical grounding (after trying 2 normal rods).

Anonymous768119

Post by Anonymous768119 » 30 Dec 2020, 18:29

Well written,

If I had lived in single-family house, then for sure I would try to fix issue with grounding but unfortunately I am completely helpless in taking actions in housing block. From what I've heard from my electricity provider, electrical noise is not a subject for any inspection or approval. They will not change anything in this matter as long as I will prove, that it damaged my XL2546 for example. In my case solution would be just a half measure like buying filters or moving to another location. That is really f***ed up, because I cannot release my beast PC. Actually no one of us.

nuggify

Post by nuggify » 30 Dec 2020, 18:37

I and others in the discord group have tried an absurd amount of filtration techniques to really no avail. Currently I have a $1000 Furman and a $450 Surge X Series Mode filter (along with a Tripp Lite Online UPS and some other conditioners). To date the Surge X works the best and yet there is still serious root issues there, as you cant actually fix a signal reference (neutral issue) with filtration. Also when interference is radiating off of stuff it can cause capacitive coupling of currents to cables thereby bypassing any filtration you might have on your AC cables to the PC/monitors. I would recommend moving when you can.

riddlaaaaa

Post by riddlaaaaa » 31 Dec 2020, 15:13

sonexs wrote:
30 Dec 2020, 15:17
a_c_r_e_a_l wrote:
30 Dec 2020, 10:16
1. I brought 3 EMI filter plugs
2. Is it possible that my high-end PC is such a huge source of EMI?
introduction:
hi man, i have same device like you and similiar high readings.
i tested a lot of conditioners, different types and companys. also online double ups. all of them seem to even higher up my values on the emi meter.

1. which plugs did you buy? all of my tested devices raised the emi
2. same for me, when pc is connected to the outlet, emi goes way up

values can change pretty much, like day- and nighttime, random.
usually its between 400-1700mV (1800mV was my peek)
Search these ....
Dirty Electricity (DE2) EMI Filter