Inputlag/floaty mouse in every game and on desktop

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.

kokkatc

Re: Inputlag/floaty mouse in every game and on desktop

Post by kokkatc » 20 May 2022, 11:42

I used to love coming to this forum in particular to read up on potential input lag related issues and sometimes offer help but it has become an 'EMI STRONGHOLD' where people from the very first post assume EMI and change the narrative.

I have no doubt EMI is responsible for many input lag woes but cmon guys.... it's not responsible for the vast majority of cases out there and it certainly shouldn't be the first suggestion when someone complains of input lag.

There are literally hundreds of possibilties as to why one is experiencing input lag and most of the time IT'S NOT EMI.

kokkatc

Post by kokkatc » 20 May 2022, 12:12

inputlaghaver wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 06:30
So I booted my pc from a ubuntu usb and the issue was still present which means I can rule out software/os related issues and fixes correct?
Could someone look at the list in my og post and confirm if I tried swapping out every pc part or if I missed something.
Brand and model wise my monitor should not be the issue considering it's working as intended, right?

Just trying to figure out if I missed something before I go down the emi/power route
Honestly, I would not place my focus on 'EMI' from the get go just because people in this forum are trying to point you in that direction. Most people's electricity are going to be fine.This forum has become an EMI centric place... Focus on optimizing your system first and ruling out all common input lag contributors so you have a good baseline to work off of.

You said the problem still persists when you boot into ubuntu as well. Check your BIOS settings as there are many settings in there that can cause input lag/responsiveness issues. For starters, set your BIOS to optimized defaults first to rule out any change you may have accidentally made in the past. After you did this, disable these settings: Intel-- Speedstep, eist, speedshift, c-states (all of them), thermal monitor. If ASPM is present in your BIOS, disable those as well. Anything related to power savings, disable those. The more modern your PC, the more power saving features you're going to have and they are typically all on by default. Also, remember to enable XMP or DOCP for your memory, whichever it's called in your BIOS.

You should also run 'Latency Monitor' by Resplendence. Find out if you have any faulty drivers causing DPC latency spikes. If you see a particular driver spiking, try an older/newer driver until the spikes disappear. Your IDLE total DPC latency shouldn't be more than 50us on average.

I see you have this motherboard <https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z390-A-PRO/support>. Make sure you install all of the chipset drivers, lan, audio. Even go to the 'Other tab' and download/install 'Intel Management Engine' as well. In the past I would say stay away from this because it could be used as a backdoor, but with modern CPU(s), this driver is critical for the operation of your CPU. Intel I imagine will eventually include this w/ their chipset drivers. Keep in mind when you update your BIOS, all settings will be reset to defaults. Also go to your monitor's manufacturer's website and download/install the driver for your monitor. Sometimes not installing the official monitor driver can result in funny/weird things happening. Also, while in your OS, make sure you're operating on the correct power plan. If on windows 10/11, google how to enable 'Ultimate Performance Plan' and enable that. You'll still have to edit the settings. The biggest settings in here to fully disable are 'USB selective suspend setting,' and 'PCI Express --> Link State Power Management.' Ensure those are disabled and your CPU is running at 100% for both min/max.

Also look into lowering your timer resolution to .5ms. You can use ISLC or Timer resolution, google this.

There's also other potential hazards w/ a windows 10/11 install. By default, windows update and windows driver updates are enabled by default. This means the moment you install windows and boot into the OS w/ your ethernet connected, dozens of drivers are automatically downloaded and installed indiscriminately. Often enough, a bad driver is installed that is responsible for your input lag and you'll never know because it was done automatically and behind closed doors. If you want to spend the time, consider a fresh OS install, but DISABLE windows from installing any driver on your system. Install the drivers yourself and test each time you do. Always run Latency Monitor to look for faulty drivers. The best way to disable windows update from installing drivers is by changing the searchorderconfig value in your registry. To do this properly, install windows with your ethernet unplugged. Install by selecting 'limited setup' when it prompts you. After windows installs and the moment you get into your OS, open your registry and navigate to <HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching>. Find the value that says 'searchorderconfig.' Change its value to '0.' It's probably 1 by default. Reboot your system and now plugin your ethernet cable. Download drivers from your manufacturer's website, install, test, etc.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding the above, good luck.
Last edited by kokkatc on 20 May 2022, 12:46, edited 2 times in total.

dervu

Post by dervu » 20 May 2022, 12:25

It's simple. Do not talk about interference caused issue until you check your setup at another places.
If you are trying to find out issue and most basic things do not work out, then you have to think what will take you less time.
Maybe taking setup to another place will rule out interference caused issue and you will know its just about your setup and speed up troubleshooting. Just stay open minded. :)

Also placebo can be hard, so please recheck many times.
Ryzen 7950X3D / MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio / ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS / 2x16GB DDR5@6000 G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279QM / Logitech G PRO X SUPERLIGHT / SkyPAD Glass 3.0 / Wooting 60HE / DT 700 PRO X || EMI Input lag issue survivor

Sqnax17

Post by Sqnax17 » 20 May 2022, 17:58

nuggify wrote:
07 Jan 2021, 19:54
a_c_r_e_a_l wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 20:00
I strongly recommend moving with your PC to another place or places for 1-2 days and clarify this, before you start spending money for PC hardware, electricians and other stuff. This will give you some clue at least. I've discoreved huge amount of noise in my electrical installation. I am 99% sure that it causes input lag due to ECC and my CS:GO and other FPS games are incredibly unplayable and years of playing with same mouse sensitivity and perfecting my muscle's memory doesn't work at all. I've been in i-net cafe for gamers and I couldn't believe how movements in CSGO can be so sharp and crisp. As far as I know UPS Online and power conditioners are just a half measures, so be prepared for disappointment unless you live in single-family house it can be somehow fixable (@nuggify has some info about it). In my case I am helpless, because nothing can filter such a huge noise in my flat and administration of the estate doesn't care as long as they can watch soap operas on their cathode ray tube TV.

I am really upset, that we live in 2021 and in some places and problem of EMI is still completely disregarded however it can be considered as silent killer of our complex and sensitive electronic equipment (like my monitor, which in few months visually degraded from 240Hz to 120 or even less and same is happening with my new monitor).
Yup no means of filtering have worked at all for me. Also lifting safety ground does not work. It improves it at times however it is never a full fix. Online UPS on battery fixed the input lag when its unplugged (but is obviously not a solution). I will be trying chemical grounding soon and will post my own thread about it after I have tested for a week.
Ups online unplugged eliminates inputlag?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 May 2022, 13:42

kokkatc wrote:
20 May 2022, 12:12
Most people's electricity are going to be fine.This forum has become an EMI centric place... Focus on optimizing your system first and ruling out all common input lag contributors so you have a good baseline to work off of.
I tried to create a new forum to move the EMI threads out of here and over there.
However, it probably partially backfired because it only put EMI in the spotlight.

I welcome ideas on how to remove more EMI talk in this non-EMI lag forum.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

nicomiani

Post by nicomiani » 23 Aug 2023, 15:50

Duvy wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 15:11
Hello, i found a permanent fix, add me on ig: i watch request, in the upcoming days i will make a full post
Bro what's your ig? help me please im with this problem since 2016

inputLagger123

Post by inputLagger123 » 24 Aug 2023, 09:02

I had this problem for 3 years.
-Go to apps and features
-Search for Realtek audio driver
-Uninstall it
Boom my shit was fixed and I can aim again