Inputlag/floaty mouse in every game and on desktop

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
inputlaghaver

Inputlag/floaty mouse in every game and on desktop

Post by inputlaghaver » 05 Jan 2021, 09:11

I have some shitty inputlag which I'm unable to fix. It's present in any game, Programm, desktop etc.
I compiled what i tried in a pastebin including my specs: *
I'm almost sure that it get's slightly worse in games that are a lil heavier on my rig like apex, might just be placebo tbh.
If you guys have any ideas lmk cause I'm out. Also i'm kinda scared i already vaguely included the solution in my pastebin under the things i tried so if one of your possible solutions is already covered but it's not smth obvious like turning vsync off or check if I'm at my max hz mention it anyway please.

For the replaced parts i swapped 1 out realised it didn't help and re installed my old part, did this for every single one excluding ssd, psu and monitor if that means anything.

I'm not sure how and when the inputlag appeared but since i didn't immediately noticed it i gotta assume that it got slowly worse bit by bit until it was obvious. It started atleast a year ago.
Lmk if there's any info missing.

*Welp since I can't post links I'll just copy n paste it here:

I am experiencing input lag in every game and on the desktop.
It's very mild but as soon as i try to track an enemy it's extremely noticeable.
If you have any idea on how to fix it please let me know.

Fps and temps are both as they should be

I've already tried:

Reinstalling windows (tried both ssd&hdd)
Installing latest drivers including bios, sound etc.
Updating Drivers via Snappy driver installer origin
Clean nvidia driver reinstall via DDU and NVSlimmer
Tweaked Windows settings
Tweaked Nvidia settings
Different SSD and HDD
Different Motherboard
Different PSU
Different Mice
Different Mousepads
Different GPU
Different CPU
Different RAM
Different Monitor
Different Mouse Dpi and Polling rate
Disabled sound drivers, hpet etc. in the Device manager
Disabled Mouse accel in windows and tried marc's mouse fix
Disabled Fullscreen optimization
Disabled every startup app
Disabled CPU throttling
Moved Pc into another room(electrical issue?)
Force closing programms in task manager to check if they cause it
Checked if all cables are plugged in properly
Disconnected every usb device except my mouse
Used MSI_util_v2
Countless Powershell and Regedit tweaks
Most things in Calypto's Latency Guide
R0ach's Bios guide

Specs:

GPU: Zotac Rtx 2080Ti
CPU: Intel i5-9600K
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo
Ram: Corsair Vengeance ddr4 3200
Motherboard: MSI Z390-A Pro
Monitor: BenQ ZOWIE XL2731
Psu: Corsair RM750x
Mice include but are not limited to: G Pro wireless, Razer Viper&Mini, Roccat Kpu, g703

If i missed anything let me know and i'll update

Anonymous768119

Re: Inputlag/floaty mouse in every game and on desktop

Post by Anonymous768119 » 05 Jan 2021, 20:52

If you have possibility, bring your PC to another location, like your friend's house and then make observations.

inputlaghaver

Post by inputlaghaver » 05 Jan 2021, 21:22

kinda tough with rona rn :(

inputlaghaver

Post by inputlaghaver » 05 Jan 2021, 21:34

but even if it's the power what could i do about it? would i have to call an electrician?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Jan 2021, 21:50

inputlaghaver wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 21:34
but even if it's the power what could i do about it? would i have to call an electrician?
First, I assume you've completely disconnected and are getting strange lags without any Internet influence.

At this stage we don't know if it's a wild goose chase to red herrings. Have you rule out display lag

RONA as in the Home Depot competitor hardware store (renovations)? If you are in a city/urban location, then for location-testing, rent a cubicle (hotelling desk) for 1 day or 2 days even. Places like WeWork rents office desks/cubicles/rooms for $29 per day for example. Google "Rent an office for a day <CITY NAME>" and stuff. This can give you a temporary day in a brand new location to see if the computer "peforms differently" in a new location, to allow you to test-by-exclusions. This can be faster than spending 1 week trying to reinstall software/tweak/swap hardware/etc, and increase confidence it's a location-related issue.

Unfortunately, it is horrendously crapshoot -- an residential electrician may or may not help. You'd need a high end data center technician experienced in designing the environmental EMI regime and cherrypicked component selection -- the type Google/Apple/Facebook data centers would normally hire.

You should learn to troubleshoot the electricity a bit yourself -- e.g. does your premises have a ground fault or a disconnected ground? There are cheap Amazon devices to determine that too - some plug-in outlet testers under $10 for the basics (it won't always help, since a ground fault is not the only problem possible). And, is your computer room near any high-voltage transformers (e.g. just outside the window)? Power transmisson pylons? Factory/manufacturing next door? Living above a mechanical floor in a condo? Air conditioner compressor just outside the computer room? Even adding 5 meters of distance away from a big electrical transformer/appliance/etc hiding behind the wall/floor, can make a big difference -- the inverse square law is usually your best friend.

In addition, some people use UPS / power conditioners / power filters / etc. Not all of those successfully the specific kind of electrical noise/problem you might be having. Some people with enough money, do more drastically, going offgrid with a lithium battery (like the Jackery 1000-watt Power Station capable of generating sine-wave AC. Those are lunchbox sized lithium batteries, marketed for camping, but it happens to be powerful enough to run a whole high-powered RTX gaming rig for about three hours).

You should read the other EMI-related threads about attempting some isolation tricks like moving a computer to the middle of the room and lifting it above the floor (to get away from hidden high-EMI power sources inside walls/floors/ceilings), although that will not fix other issues like ground faults or other types of EMI.

You will need to read the other threads to try to narrow down the problem, as well as test in a different location as an exclusion-test.

A lot of this is very hard to troubleshoot, and your lag problem is usually not caused by bad electricity (though it could be -- bad electricity/EMI, creating a lot of noise, creating lots of error correction events in a computer, creating lag -- and it does happen. A small portion of population do have lag-by-electricals).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

inputlaghaver

Post by inputlaghaver » 05 Jan 2021, 23:48

Thanks for the in depth response,
rona=corona :P

I'm not sure if I can rule out display lag, to my knowledge I'm already using one of the better monitors out there or am I missing something?

If I were to buy one of those outlet testers what exactly would I be looking for?

Thanks alot so far, I'll read through the forum to see if I can find smth

Anonymous768119

Post by Anonymous768119 » 06 Jan 2021, 20:00

I strongly recommend moving with your PC to another place or places for 1-2 days and clarify this, before you start spending money for PC hardware, electricians and other stuff. This will give you some clue at least. I've discoreved huge amount of noise in my electrical installation. I am 99% sure that it causes input lag due to ECC and my CS:GO and other FPS games are incredibly unplayable and years of playing with same mouse sensitivity and perfecting my muscle's memory doesn't work at all. I've been in i-net cafe for gamers and I couldn't believe how movements in CSGO can be so sharp and crisp. As far as I know UPS Online and power conditioners are just a half measures, so be prepared for disappointment unless you live in single-family house it can be somehow fixable (@nuggify has some info about it). In my case I am helpless, because nothing can filter such a huge noise in my flat and administration of the estate doesn't care as long as they can watch soap operas on their cathode ray tube TV.

I am really upset, that we live in 2021 and in some places and problem of EMI is still completely disregarded however it can be considered as silent killer of our complex and sensitive electronic equipment (like my monitor, which in few months visually degraded from 240Hz to 120 or even less and same is happening with my new monitor).

nuggify

Post by nuggify » 07 Jan 2021, 19:54

a_c_r_e_a_l wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 20:00
I strongly recommend moving with your PC to another place or places for 1-2 days and clarify this, before you start spending money for PC hardware, electricians and other stuff. This will give you some clue at least. I've discoreved huge amount of noise in my electrical installation. I am 99% sure that it causes input lag due to ECC and my CS:GO and other FPS games are incredibly unplayable and years of playing with same mouse sensitivity and perfecting my muscle's memory doesn't work at all. I've been in i-net cafe for gamers and I couldn't believe how movements in CSGO can be so sharp and crisp. As far as I know UPS Online and power conditioners are just a half measures, so be prepared for disappointment unless you live in single-family house it can be somehow fixable (@nuggify has some info about it). In my case I am helpless, because nothing can filter such a huge noise in my flat and administration of the estate doesn't care as long as they can watch soap operas on their cathode ray tube TV.

I am really upset, that we live in 2021 and in some places and problem of EMI is still completely disregarded however it can be considered as silent killer of our complex and sensitive electronic equipment (like my monitor, which in few months visually degraded from 240Hz to 120 or even less and same is happening with my new monitor).
Yup no means of filtering have worked at all for me. Also lifting safety ground does not work. It improves it at times however it is never a full fix. Online UPS on battery fixed the input lag when its unplugged (but is obviously not a solution). I will be trying chemical grounding soon and will post my own thread about it after I have tested for a week.

inputlaghaver

Post by inputlaghaver » 08 Jan 2021, 12:41

What would I be looking for in an emi filter or the likes if I were to try one?

nuggify

Post by nuggify » 08 Jan 2021, 20:35

inputlaghaver wrote:
08 Jan 2021, 12:41
What would I be looking for in an emi filter or the likes if I were to try one?
This problem is not EMI in the traditional sense. You may or may not have higher EMI at your place but it does not dictate the presence of the problem because the source is upstream of that. I believe if you have higher electrical interference in your environment the problem will be worst, however even if you minimize it the problem will still be there. No one listens to me and no one cares about the actual theory here. But I genuinely believe it is a high impedance ground (high frequency noise will not return like it should over the neutral conductor). I understand that gamer's are unlikely to learn electrical theory but if we want any hope of tracking down a source or finding a proper solution we must understand some of the concepts. People are just going in circles on it, you can see on this site itself. The problem is not a lack of filtering. It seems to me it is a signal/logic reference (voltage reference) which makes the systems go haywire in a non destructive way. Take a look through this thread, it speaks about some of the concepts I am talking about: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comme ... and_other/

Notice when they refer to "ground" the proper thing they will be referencing is the neutral ("grounded") conductor. Saftey ground (EGC) does have an impact on the problem but likely only because the 2 are bonded and so one effects the others voltage potential. Saftey ground is not meant to be a path for noise- this is the professional consensus. The best thing you may be able to do is improve your saftey ground system in order to lower your respective neutral potential. This is theory based on the things we have observed, as I have worked with many others in order to attempt to get somewhere. We have a Discord chat, as forums simply do not cut it to discuss this stuff. My main purpose for posting here is to invite anyone with serious interest in solving this to join.

There are some things you can try to indeed confirm you have the same issue. Send me a PM and ill go over some of that.