Problem with new monitor: Lag, Stutter or else...

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
ShoreVolker500

Problem with new monitor: Lag, Stutter or else...

Post by ShoreVolker500 » 09 Jan 2021, 15:40

Hello everybody,

yesterday I installed my new monitor (Viewsonic VX2758-2KP-MHD). Today I made the mistake and installed a new driver for the monitor from Windows Update optional drivers. After that I started to notice that every few seconds the cursor lagged behind/skipped a frame or two. Of course I removed all drivers for the monitor and plugged it in again as if it was the first time, but the stutter remained. (Curiously enough, I cant recall noticing any problems like stutter or else yesterday)

I spend the day looking for a fix, but nothing worked. (Only thing I havent done is a Bios update) Going back to my old monitor (old benq office monitor 60hz) I can notice the same stutter if I am looking for it. This leads me to believe that my system always had this problem, but it just wasnt noticeable on 60hz and high response time.

The Blur busters Tests showed some spike every few seconds and is unable to sync (Stutter Warning: Potential Browser Stutter). This happens on both monitors.
UfoTest.png
UfoTest.png (47.79 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
My Main question is what could be the culprit? Can I exclude the monitor from the suspects list? Otherwise I would have to send it back for replacement.

I hope I hit the right part of the forum. I already looked for fixes here, but I cant really pinpoint the problem.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Problem with new monitor: Lag, Stutter or else...

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Jan 2021, 14:38

ShoreVolker500 wrote:
09 Jan 2021, 15:40
My Main question is what could be the culprit? Can I exclude the monitor from the suspects list? Otherwise I would have to send it back for replacement.
Spikes seen in TestUFO is not caused by the monitor itself. The TestUFO warnings are typically system-performance related (whether software, driver or hardware) and not tied to monitor. The TestUFO warnings can be used to debug your system performance.

This is correct, frametime spikes normally invisible at 60Hz become much more visible at 144Hz and even more visible at 240Hz. So your system likely had this all along, and only became more visible recently.

Try a Safe Mode startup, disable all monitoring utilities, disable all RGB animating software, clean your system of startup/services, or do a fresh Windows install on a 2nd partition or 2nd disk drive, and see if this disappears.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!