Reduce Input Delay (Mouse & Keyboard Buffer Size)

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
mossfalt
Posts: 29
Joined: 23 Nov 2020, 08:43

Re: Reduce Input Delay (Mouse & Keyboard Buffer Size)

Post by mossfalt » 28 Feb 2021, 17:56

howiec wrote:
28 Feb 2021, 00:25
mossfalt wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 17:47
howiec wrote:
03 Feb 2021, 18:46
Oh and btw, MouseDataQueueSize does make a difference..
what kind of difference are you experiencing :idea:
What you'd expect due to a smaller buffer. Feels more responsive / accurate and precise. Too low of a value can obviously lead to issues though.
Ok what do you set it to? I think I wan't to try this when I get time.
Last edited by mossfalt on 01 Mar 2021, 06:19, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BTRY B 529th FA BN
Posts: 274
Joined: 18 Dec 2013, 13:28

Re: Reduce Input Delay (Mouse & Keyboard Buffer Size)

Post by BTRY B 529th FA BN » 01 Mar 2021, 00:28

My 'KeyboardDataQueueSize' defaults to 100 decimal. I changed mine to 50 decimal. Noticed a reduction in input delay.

Created the reg key 'Parameters' for MouClass. Rebooted, then created d-word 32bit 'MouseDataQueueSize' and set the same decimal to 50. Not sure if it was necessary but I may delete it and see if there's any difference. I know the keyboard edit made a difference.

empleat
Posts: 78
Joined: 28 Feb 2020, 21:06

Re: Reduce Input Delay (Mouse & Keyboard Buffer Size)

Post by empleat » 01 Mar 2021, 13:03

BTRY B 529th FA BN wrote:
01 Mar 2021, 00:28
My 'KeyboardDataQueueSize' defaults to 100 decimal. I changed mine to 50 decimal. Noticed a reduction in input delay.

Created the reg key 'Parameters' for MouClass. Rebooted, then created d-word 32bit 'MouseDataQueueSize' and set the same decimal to 50. Not sure if it was necessary but I may delete it and see if there's any difference. I know the keyboard edit made a difference.
50 is too high.

This guy recommends starting slowly from like 50. And recommends not to go below 20 and used 16, says: if you have good system. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkVQm-hyL28

I use 20 currently, but it depends on your hw, polling etc. You will have to find balance between consistency and input lag!

Also in control panel keyboard, you can try set repeat delay to short. This makes input starting to repeat itself faster, when you press and hold button, default there is like 250ms delay.

Also there is app: FilterKeysSetter. Which using filter keys lets you set custom option. However, I don't know, if this is best to change for all games. I used that for RTS to start queue units faster, but in fps, it can be hard to stop on place, when you need to fire - for prevision.

chenifa
Posts: 44
Joined: 31 Aug 2019, 18:07

Re: Reduce Input Delay (Mouse & Keyboard Buffer Size)

Post by chenifa » 02 Mar 2021, 07:42

empleat wrote:
01 Mar 2021, 13:03
Also in control panel keyboard, you can try set repeat delay to short. This makes input starting to repeat itself faster, when you press and hold button, default there is like 250ms delay.
In what game would that make a difference? Not a single fps game I know hast input repeat delay....

empleat
Posts: 78
Joined: 28 Feb 2020, 21:06

Re: Reduce Input Delay (Mouse & Keyboard Buffer Size)

Post by empleat » 02 Mar 2021, 20:53

chenifa wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 07:42
empleat wrote:
01 Mar 2021, 13:03
Also in control panel keyboard, you can try set repeat delay to short. This makes input starting to repeat itself faster, when you press and hold button, default there is like 250ms delay.
In what game would that make a difference? Not a single fps game I know hast input repeat delay....
You may not understand what this does exactly. This is delay, before pressed key starts to repeat itself. It allows you to start moving faster, since time you press W key. Once you are moving, it does nothing however. Also as I said: I used this to queue units faster in a RTS. In FPS you may want to use default windows setting, because it is harder to stop at place then - for shot accuracy. But it may useful on game you are playing and comes as a personal preference.

chenifa
Posts: 44
Joined: 31 Aug 2019, 18:07

Re: Reduce Input Delay (Mouse & Keyboard Buffer Size)

Post by chenifa » 03 Mar 2021, 07:44

This setting only applies in windows, not in any fps.....try and turn the delay all the way up, it will make no difference ingame.

empleat
Posts: 78
Joined: 28 Feb 2020, 21:06

Re: Reduce Input Delay (Mouse & Keyboard Buffer Size)

Post by empleat » 03 Mar 2021, 13:52

chenifa wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 07:44
This setting only applies in windows, not in any fps.....try and turn the delay all the way up, it will make no difference ingame.
Not true... I used this to queue units faster in RTS, it is very noticeable, it works... There is otherwise like 250ms delay+ before pressed key starts repeating itself... Maybe it doesn't work in every game, but it worked for me in CS GO and SC2...

chenifa
Posts: 44
Joined: 31 Aug 2019, 18:07

Re: Reduce Input Delay (Mouse & Keyboard Buffer Size)

Post by chenifa » 03 Mar 2021, 17:17

Bro I know how the delay works, but in csgo there is no such delay applied 100%. You think people could peak a croner with 250ms delay between first and second key input? Go try again, you are imagening things...

andrelip
Posts: 87
Joined: 21 Mar 2014, 17:50

Re: Reduce Input Delay (Mouse & Keyboard Buffer Size)

Post by andrelip » 05 Mar 2021, 10:05

CSGO uses a toggle for movement.

+moveleft
+jump
+speed
... and so on.

It is going to "hold" the action while the key is pressed. It didn't depend on repetition for anything.
Just disable the repeating option; you can still move perfectly.

empleat
Posts: 78
Joined: 28 Feb 2020, 21:06

Re: Reduce Input Delay (Mouse & Keyboard Buffer Size)

Post by empleat » 05 Mar 2021, 16:31

andrelip wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 10:05
CSGO uses a toggle for movement.

+moveleft
+jump
+speed
... and so on.

It is going to "hold" the action while the key is pressed. It didn't depend on repetition for anything.
Just disable the repeating option; you can still move perfectly.
Toggle, how would game differentiate between 1 keypress and holding down a key? All this does is that keypresses start to repeat sooner, when you hold down W. So you start moving sooner. But it won't affect your moving speed (when you move).

You can't disable it, only change a value. I used this and it worked...

Post Reply