Some mysterious effects on gameplay

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
empleat

Re: Some mysterious effects on gameplay

Post by empleat » 20 Apr 2021, 03:35

forii wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 15:25

Thanks mate
But what does it mean that it can degrades something? My mouse will get worse because of it?

Isnt it risky? to uncheck it?

Quote bellow
"the question is only now...for how long it stays like that and when it degrades again ?"
It shouldn't be risky, but backup is always advised. I heard unchecking it helped with ntoskrnl.exe dpc latency spikes, but it didn't for me. And mouse felt like shit. I have best experience with having Intel nic with enabled MSI.

iceboy

Re: Some mysterious effects on gameplay

Post by iceboy » 21 Apr 2021, 14:29

Update 2 -
_Red wrote:
31 Jan 2021, 21:32
Single vs Dual channel won't make a difference on input delay.
Technically it would make it worse as framerates are lower.
3200Mhz is objectively better as it has a higher bandwidth which matters the most, sounds like it's unstable.
Thanks! Although I knew it was unstable I haven't fixed it previously, you encouraged me to give another try, and ... I tried a lot of random things, and when I turned on ThrottleStop, the gameplay suddenly became so good. This is a 6700K at stock with HT disabled with good PSU and cooler, I can't believe it can run into power limits. Although ThrottleStop doesn't show any throttling, disabling power limits made a big change. Previously disabling speedstep or overclocking only make things worse and I should have noticed this.

After this, the speedstep is resolved, it looks like a defect in the BIOS - with all defaults and speedstep enabled the CPU is configured with 1-core ratio 42 and 2-4 core ratio 40; with speedstep disabled it's all core 40, and the ring ratio is 41. Now I run an all-core 45 static overclock and it's better. There is one interesting thing - although setting ring ratio to core ratio gives the lowest latency, setting ring ratio to (core ratio - 1) gives a special comfortable feeling. Are there any insights on this?

Now overclocking RAM to 3200 becomes stable, and memory latency dropped to 35ns. Dual channel is still bad. FCLK 1GHz is still bad.

Edit: History repeats itself - after playing with 3200 for several days I developed headache, switched back to 2400, and the gameplay feels significantly better.