Is there a benefit of having a very high-end modem/router when using ethernet to game?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
daviddave1

Is there a benefit of having a very high-end modem/router when using ethernet to game?

Post by daviddave1 » 12 Feb 2021, 06:44

Is there any use in upgrading to lets say a router/modem Asus GT-AC5300 if i only game on ethernet? No one else is using the internet except me. I now use the cable router/modem of the isp: The Ziggo Connect Box. I play competitive fps games & have a obsession with low inputlag & I stream on a separate stream pc aloth..
| Now: ASUS PG248QP 540Hz. | Past : VG259QM with the Qisda panel/PG27AQN/XL2566K

victor910

Re: Is there a benefit of having a very high-end modem/router when using ethernet to game?

Post by victor910 » 12 Feb 2021, 07:04

the very high-end modem has the name cisco router, all another is garbage.

dervu

Re: Is there a benefit of having a very high-end modem/router when using ethernet to game?

Post by dervu » 13 Feb 2021, 05:56

If you stream, then with something like fq_codel / cake for QoS you could avoid ping spikes. All that depends how good your connection is. You probably use something like couple of mbps to upload, so with any decent connection it should be just a part of upload bandwith, so bufferbloat wouldn't show up. Same with download, you could download games and play at the same time using full bandwith, while without it ping would definitely spike up. Other than that I don't have any idea if it would help.
Ryzen 7950X3D / MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio / ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS / 2x16GB DDR5@6000 G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279QM / Logitech G PRO X SUPERLIGHT / SkyPAD Glass 3.0 / Wooting 60HE / DT 700 PRO X || EMI Input lag issue survivor

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 13 Feb 2021, 06:16

dervu wrote:
13 Feb 2021, 05:56
If you stream, then with something like fq_codel / cake for QoS you could avoid ping spikes.
^This is a very good tip.

Personally I highly recommend Asus routers since Asuswrt-Merlin is a godsend but even Tomato/DD-WRT are good alternatives for TP-link/Netgear/.. products.

I'm currently using the ISP's modem/router after upgrading to fiber (So I had to sell my RT-AX56U) and I'm considering the EdgeRouter X SFP since it does have fq_codel.
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

BTRY B 529th FA BN

Post by BTRY B 529th FA BN » 13 Feb 2021, 09:30

In my experience, Cake > fq_qodel. Dave is doing a great job with Flexqos, but Cake queue discipline is still better. Cake is extremely simple in terms of installation. Plus if you don't want Trend Micro doing call backs to home and or using their service Cake is free of it. If you really hate Trend Micro you can block their ip's using Skynet.

The only benifit of Flexqos + fq_codel is you get to use the router cache, and it does make a difference but pure buffer bloat management you want to use Cake.

AC86U
Merlin, 386.1

Alpha

Post by Alpha » 13 Feb 2021, 23:55

victor910 wrote:
12 Feb 2021, 07:04
Not true. I work on Cisco routers daily and have a professional network infrastructure at home with isolated networks for gaming and streaming. There are plenty of routers that are exceptional. I really like Ubiquiti personally but there are others out there.

Alpha

Post by Alpha » 14 Feb 2021, 09:30

axaro1 wrote:
13 Feb 2021, 06:16
dervu wrote:
13 Feb 2021, 05:56
If you stream, then with something like fq_codel / cake for QoS you could avoid ping spikes.
^This is a very good tip.

Personally I highly recommend Asus routers since Asuswrt-Merlin is a godsend but even Tomato/DD-WRT are good alternatives for TP-link/Netgear/.. products.

I'm currently using the ISP's modem/router after upgrading to fiber (So I had to sell my RT-AX56U) and I'm considering the EdgeRouter X SFP since it does have fq_codel.
Before you do that, understand that this isn't a novices device (I am not suggesting you are at all, I have the X, Lite, UDM Pro to name a few). What I would do is check to see if you really have a problem, one you could fix and isolate locally vs the time it will take you (even if you're a network engineer ubnt programing is different from how we program a Cisco Switch and even if you have your Networking+ never mind your CCNA its still a process). Most of the time, you would see bufferbloat. This would be evident even if your network isn't saturated with traffic especially if your fiber is true 1gbps up and down. Go here https://packetlosstest.com/ and look at your NIC settings (your NIC has QOS). Prioritize your traffic and ports. Even with the best routers out there, you want to do this. Sadly, some ISP are going to screw you and there is nothing a router will do to help. You'd be better served dropping bandwidth down and running a true business class line (what a professional would do for example).

I'd echo Cake is fire. I wouldn't want Trend at all. If you care, either use some sort of deep packet inspection or some sort of Intrusion prevention system but it should be handled at layer 3. Alternatively, you can do a AI based non signature scanning AV but I only know of two out there and they are not for consumers and are expensive (there may be more, I just know know 2 really good ones.).

Best of luck!!

victor910

Post by victor910 » 15 Feb 2021, 02:24

Alpha wrote:
13 Feb 2021, 23:55
victor910 wrote:
12 Feb 2021, 07:04
Not true. I work on Cisco routers daily and have a professional network infrastructure at home with isolated networks for gaming and streaming. There are plenty of routers that are exceptional. I really like Ubiquiti personally but there are others out there.
Not true.

very simple evidence :

FreeBSD > Linux

Mac OS better Windows (yes, this not under Linux :))
IOS (Iphone) better Android (Linux)
Cisco better Ubiquiti (Linux)

yes,
Mac OS, IOS, and Cisco, all these devices running under FreeBSD.

Cisco does not fix yours "input lag", but if you have a plan to spend $ on the router, spend on Cisco.