Server/Client Synchronisation

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Simon95

Server/Client Synchronisation

Post by Simon95 » 13 Feb 2021, 06:11

How does the Server keeps every client in synchronous. Every PC clock drifts constant. With high cpu usage and temperatures the clock is even more drifting. I ask this because i have online games where my shots perfect register and enemies react normal. Then on the same day i have games where the enemies always see me first and the hitreg is horrible. I clipped some moments and analysed it. The whole hit registration is sometimes slower and faster. I can show some clips if you are interested. I dont know anything about the whole process of Client/Server synchronisation, maybe can someone explain the procedure. My thesis is than sometimes one computer drifts behind the server and then all informations like the positions of enemie players are delayed. Where are the it-gurus here we need you :D

Thanks in advance

Simon

skkiNN

Re: Server/Client Synchronisation

Post by skkiNN » 13 Feb 2021, 17:49

blackmagic wrote:
13 Feb 2021, 07:43
yes but what causes this drift and why it get's this noticable horrible for some players ?

it-gurus and even developers can't help or just don't aware about how bad things can get when it comes to online gaming for some players around the world...

the only theories are "internet" or "power" related...
but there no guy that can track down this all issue and show some real proofs on that all...
it's horror.
i always thought that on internet you can find every answer specially when it comes to tech or hardwares (logical things) but the reality is that no one can really explain in full details with proofs what happens to some clients..

the only solution is = figure out it by yourself and proof it to yourself...

and if there people exist that somehow solved this all issues then they probably don't gonna share it because of egoism, proud and more bad human characteristics...

no one gonna tell you how to make fast cash and get rich but everyone knows that consistent hitreg and good working peekers advantage matters in games.

what we already tried:
- change pc
- change isp's and mobile
- notebooks
- different routers and modems
- move pc in another apartment (in same town)
- thousand of tweaks, bios/gpu flashes, windows installs, updates, settings...

nothing helps. :lol:
the desync, bad reggo and drifts still here...

maybe i'm just a very unlucky person and all the isp's has this same exact issue or the power theory is true and exist in both apartments here.

or i'm just crazy about this all and should just give up and chill some...
maybe one day there gonna be this 1 guy that shows proofs and explains everything.
I'll wait that moment too my man, same problem since 15 years.. Not joking when i say i think about it everyday, how to fix it, all the tests i'v done.. is rly sad thing.

Alpha

Post by Alpha » 13 Feb 2021, 23:51

Simon95 wrote:
13 Feb 2021, 06:11
How does the Server keeps every client in synchronous. Every PC clock drifts constant. With high cpu usage and temperatures the clock is even more drifting. I ask this because i have online games where my shots perfect register and enemies react normal. Then on the same day i have games where the enemies always see me first and the hitreg is horrible. I clipped some moments and analysed it. The whole hit registration is sometimes slower and faster. I can show some clips if you are interested. I dont know anything about the whole process of Client/Server synchronisation, maybe can someone explain the procedure. My thesis is than sometimes one computer drifts behind the server and then all informations like the positions of enemie players are delayed. Where are the it-gurus here we need you :D

Thanks in advance

Simon
I’d like to see your clips. When a client talks to a server you’re sending and receiving packets. Let’s assume for the sake of time, its a perfect world with typical servers tick rate. CPU processing power and bandwidth is expensive and quite honestly so are good network engineers. We’re just going to assume both environments are perfect. The issue you’re going to be faced with regarding what you are calling Server/Client Sync is a simple matter of interpolation\extrapolation. This just depends on the what the developers used. You have to fill in the tick blanks and those methods are straight up predictive. Obviously this is before you wouldn’t want to see a real time report of 12 ticks a second or 30 or whatever. It’d look like a power point presentation it’d be so bad.

Let’s say you are running at tick 1 you’re at 10 meters, tick 2 you’re at 20 meters. Everything that happens between those ticks are simply guesstimate. If someone starts shooting between those ticks you’ll deal with the damage as it gets reported but the programming dictates who wins this. There are some absolutely terrible games out there and some pretty good. No one is going to pay huge money for servers to rectify this as much as possible (better servers).

Look at Warzone. I believe they’ve made over 5 billion off it. They laid off 800 workers for a $200,000,000 tax break. This publisher literally has patents that dictate how they will nerf a better player real time giving additional “aim assist” to the lesser skilled player, more health, even with equal damage. It’s pretty incredible. It’s even worse when additional patents quite literally show a new purchase in the store will net you easier lobbies. This is detailed because for every skilled player that rolls a lobby, 6 casuals quit. But if you get rolled by a new skin for example, you’re more inclined to buy the skins.

I’m just being real by saying we have some serious problems happening now that we’ve never thought we’d be dealing with in terms of shady, unethical practices being used by developers (driven solely by publishers) to make billions. Everyone gets a trophy is here and likely not going anywhere. It doesn’t matter how you optimize your setup, you may find yourself just unlucky because for even odds, you’ll need put on list where it’s simply laid out for you. In return, you’ll make videos showing new skins and purchased items that’ll get millions of views due to your exceptional gameplay that simply turns out you magically got an extremely simple lobby, not once or twice.... but consistently. So odd.

Simon95

Post by Simon95 » 14 Feb 2021, 02:54

Getting shot before i even see the enemie on my screen.
phpBB [video]

Alpha

Post by Alpha » 14 Feb 2021, 09:09

Simon95 wrote:
14 Feb 2021, 02:54
Getting shot before i even see the enemie on my screen.
phpBB [video]
To me, it looks like the guy behind the barrel @ :01 would have seen and started firing. This would have been the same guy highlighted in red from the kill correct? He would have been in position to fire from his rotation seeing you before the smoke. Show me more please. I believe I can help but don't want to waste a ton of time typing shit that doesn't apply. What more do you have? Thank you!

Simon95

Post by Simon95 » 14 Feb 2021, 14:22

I will upload other videos later. Even on the same server the problem appears. Like 5min good hitreg and then it degrades.

Futuretech

Post by Futuretech » 14 Feb 2021, 17:50

I don't know what game this is on the video. Although I read the thread and the only thing that pops into my mind is that the game itself is coded to give higher ping an advantage.

I recall back in the decade, 2011-2012, playing quite a few Korean FPS games that popped up kinda like Gunz: The Duel and certain other FPS freebies became popular especially as the internet revolution was happening and mass internet such as youtube was popping in more. The point is I played a lot of FPS games lotta counter-strike clones.

In one instance I played on one game server and I kept wondering why I was losing to such high ping players. At first when I discovered some of them being Brazilian players I immediately thought they were aimbotting as the only other nation that hacks as much as Chinese players are Brazilian usually the old memetic joke(earlier in the decade) is Chinese and Brazilian players are top 5 hacker/hack makers or users.

So I began to hunt down the reason and apparently. While client side games SHOULD mean that low ping, high performance computing users are the winner. If I have 20 ping(and several tens to over hundreds of frame rate and or using low latency equipment) and the enemy has 150 ping(even more so with poor computer or just able to game computer), I decisively win every engagement against them even IF they shoot first as I can jump out of the way or the old Battlefield 2 memetic joke, dolphin diving players.

But when I checked out the forums and did a deep dive of said FPS game. Apparently yes it's client side AND YES it does have certain smoothing technologies. Just because you have server and client side both having pros and cons. Doesn't still mean that the better player especially with lower ping, higher-end computer, and lower sensitivities as the general consensus is lower or low sensitivity is quite a show when in the hands of a good low sense player. But I've noticed that in many client side games they have a way of giving everyone some equality over the capacity of said lower ping player.

I have played server side games and usually they do a pretty good job at taking in the advantages. Obviously many will state a client side system gives advantage to the lesser ping and better computer. In other words WHAT you see is different. But in many cases I'm not entirely sure what type of programming or programs are running behind the game. But often times for all the advantage of being the superior player you still get equalized. I even recall one game whereby the player with the highest ping dictates the equalizing ping of all players.

Server side games they may have issues at time certainly if the server isn't high end it'll have issues kinda like some MMORPGs especially PVP heavy games. But non-the less when I played on server games I seem to do much better. Although that doesn't mean ALL server side games are good or do things properly.

On one hand client WYSIWYG on the other hand server side games you tend to upload data and the server does it's things. Perhaps not good for RAW metric but for everyday gaming and being the better player both with good computer and low ping. It seems to me like these games tend to handle it better. While client is good as the more the merrier but often times comes with restrictions. It seems game companies realize a good computer, low ping, and lower sensitivity game would either be a pubstar or a God of destruction in said game.

Some might state the reason why client side is more restricted is due to hacking. Sure, yes, I have read that it even was a concern for a developer on one of these stereotypical Korean FPS games. IF you can manipulate the client side the company might not know fully if your hacking. They might suspect your very good or long term player playing the same maps. Again both client and server side games have their pros and cons.

In this case I'm not sure what is going on but even if he saw you, fire or pre-fired, or he kept on firing. The obvious answer is "What was he seeing?". It seems to me like that video is a classic example of ping smoothing a.k.a. ping equalization. OR even ping addendum. Whereby lets say there are 7 players with like 30ish ping and several other players with 100ish ping. The ping data is combined and then an average is given to all players.

Again all that does is create BS scenarios. Why should a person be punished for having a higher-end computer, better latency, and superior equipment such as a CRT or high-end, high-refresh rate LCD. AND on top of that maybe they are low or lower sensitivity or a high sense gamer who is really good.

Again the question becomes IF your good and have good stuff. That's not a reason to be punished. In some cases good, high-end stuff gets crippled to such a point it seems like your computer is barely able to run the game. And then companies wonder why certain games and certain mechanism outshine their game and lose customers to said other game.

Simon95

Post by Simon95 » 15 Feb 2021, 05:20

Game is Bf 5 but i have the same problem in CS GO.
On this clip i had horrible hit registration. it took longer than normal to register the shots even with a low ping. I receive the hitmarker from the last kill already behind cover.
phpBB [video]

empleat

Post by empleat » 28 Feb 2021, 16:20

Yeah I don't think there is currently any way to keep all clients synced. Ping can fluctuate, or packet loss. There are probably many things, which affect it! Currently I think: it will never be 100% synced!

Only thing, that could help perhaps is to sync Windows time!

Try to do that manually and see if it helped! in Windows there is enabled by default time sync, but it often de-syncs to even couple of seconds. While I saw last sync was yesterday... I Am not sure, if gaming clients use Windows time today times. But also other timers are not accurate 100%. I currently have enabled TSC Invariant by default, which should be same no matter of CPU clock! Even this is in rage of us, but no idea, if these are used for client/server sync!

Also you can try shielded RJ-45 cable, you should use at least CAT6! I read even router can cause enough EMI and packet loss. Maybe some shitty router, but still try everything. Cost like 5$

This will keep precise time: https://www.ntp.org/

But it installs service and I uninstalled it, after I noticed input lag. I don't know any other method currently.

You can also use TaskScheduler for this purpose, which I Am even afraid to open, or edit. On Win7+10, when I did, I had weird input lag. Like mouse would be heavy and didn't react as quickly, when doing small adjustments!

Also precise time is important for cryptography, so if you don't use router, only modem, or bad router, it could be abused for attacks.

BTW I Am thinking about pfsense, or Turris Omnia. As even 250$ Asus routers don't support OpenWRT. And Asus had security holes in their firmware! Pfsense, or Turris Omnia is much better, for same price. All you need buy pci-e WPA 3 card for it. Cost 299$.

Great guide for nic tweaking: https://www.speedguide.net/