Gaming performance deteriorates more and more

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
deagleicious

Gaming performance deteriorates more and more

Post by deagleicious » 14 Feb 2021, 08:32

Hi,

first of all I want to thank all the people here giving their best to help each other out, a great community really.

Now I'm lurking in there's forums for a while now, but nothing could really help my case, however I could find some similarities between me and frequently posted topics.

So here's my problem:

About 2 years ago I moved away from my old home to a house just on the other side of the street in a small village(South-Germany). Around the same time my old ISP(KabelBW) got taken over by Vodafone. I also decided to upgrade my PC(specs down below) to a more modern System because I thought about streaming/video editing and my old 6700k just didn't cut it anymore in that area.

I'm mainly playing csgo and consider(ed) myself a decent player, however my performance(aim-wise) deteriorated heavily over the last 2 years. I didn't notice it at first, because while my aim subjectively got worse, I managed to improve in other aspects of the game so it kind of compensated for that.

The last few months have been horrible for me though, I'm feeling like I can't aim, make precise movements or even hit people walking through my crosshair. This bothers me especially, since that's what I used to be amazing at. It became almost impossible. People walking through my crosshair don't appear smooth, it's almost like they are teleporting, even though they aren't. It feels like a combination of micro-stuttering and micro-rubberbanding, gameplay feels like I'm on 60 Hz even though I made sure I'm playing 240hz. It became impossible to hit consecutive shots when spraying/burst-firing also. I was so frustrated about that, so I tried to find the cause for it. I came to this forum since it provided a lot of similar situations and read up on all the topics before making my own one.

As of now I don't know if it's a psychological, physiological, hardware, software/driver or internet related problem.

Psychologically I can't really say much other than I'm stable and didn't change for the past 5 years or so, but maybe I'm just overlooking something.

From a physiological perspective, I'm healthy, I do sports and my reaction time is pretty much the same as it was ever since I started testing for it 5 or 6 years ago(stable 130-160 ms depending on time of the day and caffeine input)

Hardware

Apart from the CPU/Mobo change I wrote about in the beginning my system is the same.

Current parts:

CPU: AMD 3700x(Stock speeds)
MB: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
RAM: 2x8 G.Skill Ripjaws V, 3200MHz
Main Storage: Samsung 970 Evo NVME
GPU: MSI 1080ti Gaming X trio
PSU: Corsair RM750x
Soundcard: Xonar DGX
Connected to the router via Ethernet
Monitor: BenQ XL2546

Old parts:

CPU: Intel i7 6700k(on a stable 4.6GHz)
MB: MSI Z170a Gaming M7

Currently im thinking about switching the Mainboard/CPU for the old ones since I still have them laying around and test if there's any improvements. I'm somewhat low on time right now because of exams so I'm trying to do that as soon as they are finished.

In terms of troubleshooting the current hardware I did the following things:

1) Memtest, 8 hours, no errors
2) Different CPU Stress Tests, no crashes/freezes/overheating
3) GPU Stress tests, no crashes/freezing/overheating
4) Testing for DCP Latency, seems to be fine from what values I could find online
5) Testing Nvme, no errors, speeds are fine
6) changed all Power and Display port cables. I have a cat7 ethernet cable lying around wich I have to route and terminate, but that's for when I have enough time again.

I had an electrician come over and check the entire power distribution system in my house for faulty hardware or anomalies. According to him everything is fine.

Tested multiple mice: Zowie Ec2a, Endgamegear XM1, Finalmouse Scream One, Razer Deathadder V2, Zowie Ec2b, with all available Dpi and polling rate settings.

I'm currently using HyperX Alloy Elite Keyboard, wich feels somewhat more wonky in terms of movement than my old Cherry MXBoard 3.0, wich is weird, however I can't really use the Cherry one anymore since a few keys literally broke in half.

Internet

Right now I'm on a 200/20 plan but I'm thinking about upgrading(again for streaming/video uploads, but if I can't fix my problems it's not worth it). Generic Speedtests confirm proper speeds, I'll have to re-do the dslreports speed test, wich gave me high buffer bloat readings in some cases and very good ones in the next test.

The only hint I currently have it this readout from the csgo console after a Matchmaking game:
Screenshot_20210129_164435_com.twitter.android.jpg
Screenshot_20210129_164435_com.twitter.android.jpg (486.64 KiB) Viewed 4933 times
I'm not very knowledgeable in terms of internet, but those readouts seem rather suspicious to me, especially the high variance in packet latencies. I contacted my ISP about that but didn't get a proper answer yet.

My Router/Modem is a generic Horizon Box provided by my old ISP wich is getting pretty old and hot to the touch nowadays. I'll probably have to replace it sooner or later. When pinging it the console generally reads <1 ms or 1ms with occasional spikes every 10ish seconds to 7-20ms.

Software/Drivers

My current System runs on Win10x64 Pro and dual booting a stripped OS for gaming only. I reinstalled Windows probably a dozen times, also tried different Versions like LTSC and such. Also tried every tweak I could find, yes even the clickbait "get 1000000 more fps!!!11" ones sadly without any results.

I tested different driver versions from nvidia ranging from 34x.xx to the current 46x.xx ones. Some seem to have improved gameplay a bit, but had other issues making them not really suitable for a smooth gaming experience.

I changed any setting in bios I could find without results, so I loaded back to defaults and simply enabled xmp again.

For the Other drivers, I tried with and without chipset drivers, with and without automatic windows driver installation, installing the drivers via setup and via device manager, I don't know what else I could do here.

Where I'm at now

To be done:

- Test old mobo and cpu
- wait for ISP to give an answer on the csgo console readouts
-maybe change router(?)

I'm inclined to test Win7 since I only started using 10 after upgrading my system really and around that time the issues started occuring(although I can't say the for certain), issue being faceit anticheat doesn't allow Windows 7 anymore, so this can't be a permanent solution. (also Win7 isn't really optimized for ryzen 3xxx as far as I'm aware?)

The only other common factor is me, so either I'm going crazy or I'm getting old(maybe both?) but on some rare occasions the game feels, plays and looks just like in the good old days and everything is fine, just for the next game to be a completely shit experience again, so maybe I am indeed going crazy.

Maybe some of you guys can help me out on that one, I know troubleshooting things like this can be a long, tedious process, but I'm just out of ideas to come up with a solution by myself. I tried to provide as much information as possible, but feel free to ask in case I forgot something(wich is likely :D).

Cheers and have a nice day!

Unixko

Re: Gaming performance deteriorates more and more

Post by Unixko » 14 Feb 2021, 17:50

deagleicious wrote:
14 Feb 2021, 08:32
Hi,

first of all I want to thank all the people here giving their best to help each other out, a great community really.

Now I'm lurking in there's forums for a while now, but nothing could really help my case, however I could find some similarities between me and frequently posted topics.

So here's my problem:

About 2 years ago I moved away from my old home to a house just on the other side of the street in a small village(South-Germany). Around the same time my old ISP(KabelBW) got taken over by Vodafone. I also decided to upgrade my PC(specs down below) to a more modern System because I thought about streaming/video editing and my old 6700k just didn't cut it anymore in that area.

I'm mainly playing csgo and consider(ed) myself a decent player, however my performance(aim-wise) deteriorated heavily over the last 2 years. I didn't notice it at first, because while my aim subjectively got worse, I managed to improve in other aspects of the game so it kind of compensated for that.

The last few months have been horrible for me though, I'm feeling like I can't aim, make precise movements or even hit people walking through my crosshair. This bothers me especially, since that's what I used to be amazing at. It became almost impossible. People walking through my crosshair don't appear smooth, it's almost like they are teleporting, even though they aren't. It feels like a combination of micro-stuttering and micro-rubberbanding, gameplay feels like I'm on 60 Hz even though I made sure I'm playing 240hz. It became impossible to hit consecutive shots when spraying/burst-firing also. I was so frustrated about that, so I tried to find the cause for it. I came to this forum since it provided a lot of similar situations and read up on all the topics before making my own one.

As of now I don't know if it's a psychological, physiological, hardware, software/driver or internet related problem.

Psychologically I can't really say much other than I'm stable and didn't change for the past 5 years or so, but maybe I'm just overlooking something.

From a physiological perspective, I'm healthy, I do sports and my reaction time is pretty much the same as it was ever since I started testing for it 5 or 6 years ago(stable 130-160 ms depending on time of the day and caffeine input)

Hardware

Apart from the CPU/Mobo change I wrote about in the beginning my system is the same.

Current parts:

CPU: AMD 3700x(Stock speeds)
MB: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
RAM: 2x8 G.Skill Ripjaws V, 3200MHz
Main Storage: Samsung 970 Evo NVME
GPU: MSI 1080ti Gaming X trio
PSU: Corsair RM750x
Soundcard: Xonar DGX
Connected to the router via Ethernet
Monitor: BenQ XL2546

Old parts:

CPU: Intel i7 6700k(on a stable 4.6GHz)
MB: MSI Z170a Gaming M7

Currently im thinking about switching the Mainboard/CPU for the old ones since I still have them laying around and test if there's any improvements. I'm somewhat low on time right now because of exams so I'm trying to do that as soon as they are finished.

In terms of troubleshooting the current hardware I did the following things:

1) Memtest, 8 hours, no errors
2) Different CPU Stress Tests, no crashes/freezes/overheating
3) GPU Stress tests, no crashes/freezing/overheating
4) Testing for DCP Latency, seems to be fine from what values I could find online
5) Testing Nvme, no errors, speeds are fine
6) changed all Power and Display port cables. I have a cat7 ethernet cable lying around wich I have to route and terminate, but that's for when I have enough time again.

I had an electrician come over and check the entire power distribution system in my house for faulty hardware or anomalies. According to him everything is fine.

Tested multiple mice: Zowie Ec2a, Endgamegear XM1, Finalmouse Scream One, Razer Deathadder V2, Zowie Ec2b, with all available Dpi and polling rate settings.

I'm currently using HyperX Alloy Elite Keyboard, wich feels somewhat more wonky in terms of movement than my old Cherry MXBoard 3.0, wich is weird, however I can't really use the Cherry one anymore since a few keys literally broke in half.

Internet

Right now I'm on a 200/20 plan but I'm thinking about upgrading(again for streaming/video uploads, but if I can't fix my problems it's not worth it). Generic Speedtests confirm proper speeds, I'll have to re-do the dslreports speed test, wich gave me high buffer bloat readings in some cases and very good ones in the next test.

The only hint I currently have it this readout from the csgo console after a Matchmaking game:

Screenshot_20210129_164435_com.twitter.android.jpg

I'm not very knowledgeable in terms of internet, but those readouts seem rather suspicious to me, especially the high variance in packet latencies. I contacted my ISP about that but didn't get a proper answer yet.

My Router/Modem is a generic Horizon Box provided by my old ISP wich is getting pretty old and hot to the touch nowadays. I'll probably have to replace it sooner or later. When pinging it the console generally reads <1 ms or 1ms with occasional spikes every 10ish seconds to 7-20ms.

Software/Drivers

My current System runs on Win10x64 Pro and dual booting a stripped OS for gaming only. I reinstalled Windows probably a dozen times, also tried different Versions like LTSC and such. Also tried every tweak I could find, yes even the clickbait "get 1000000 more fps!!!11" ones sadly without any results.

I tested different driver versions from nvidia ranging from 34x.xx to the current 46x.xx ones. Some seem to have improved gameplay a bit, but had other issues making them not really suitable for a smooth gaming experience.

I changed any setting in bios I could find without results, so I loaded back to defaults and simply enabled xmp again.

For the Other drivers, I tried with and without chipset drivers, with and without automatic windows driver installation, installing the drivers via setup and via device manager, I don't know what else I could do here.

Where I'm at now

To be done:

- Test old mobo and cpu
- wait for ISP to give an answer on the csgo console readouts
-maybe change router(?)

I'm inclined to test Win7 since I only started using 10 after upgrading my system really and around that time the issues started occuring(although I can't say the for certain), issue being faceit anticheat doesn't allow Windows 7 anymore, so this can't be a permanent solution. (also Win7 isn't really optimized for ryzen 3xxx as far as I'm aware?)

The only other common factor is me, so either I'm going crazy or I'm getting old(maybe both?) but on some rare occasions the game feels, plays and looks just like in the good old days and everything is fine, just for the next game to be a completely shit experience again, so maybe I am indeed going crazy.

Maybe some of you guys can help me out on that one, I know troubleshooting things like this can be a long, tedious process, but I'm just out of ideas to come up with a solution by myself. I tried to provide as much information as possible, but feel free to ask in case I forgot something(wich is likely :D).

Cheers and have a nice day!
add me to steam i will provide you more information
https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198170521201/

dervu

Post by dervu » 15 Feb 2021, 06:24

Ping spikes on ethernet to your home router? This is weird.
I never get anything over 1ms to my router through ethernet. Even to first hop (ISP) it is mostly under 1ms (fiber).
Spike like 1->10ms on ethernet without any load seems strange.
Ryzen 7950X3D / MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio / ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS / 2x16GB DDR5@6000 G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279QM / Logitech G PRO X SUPERLIGHT / SkyPAD Glass 3.0 / Wooting 60HE / DT 700 PRO X || EMI Input lag issue survivor

deagleicious

Post by deagleicious » 15 Feb 2021, 09:36

dervu wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 06:24
Ping spikes on ethernet to your home router? This is weird.
I never get anything over 1ms to my router through ethernet. Even to first hop (ISP) it is mostly under 1ms (fiber).
Spike like 1->10ms on ethernet without any load seems strange.
Yeah that's what I thought aswell. Apparently small spikes are okay, however I can't really believe that's how it's supposed to be. There's no way the router takes 20ms to process a ping request from my pc.

I have no exact percentage, probably I'm going to redo the test and note the results and see if they have any similarities to the ping spikes in csgo. If 1/10 packets is delayed that would make for ~13 packets of 128. However as you can see from the console readout I provided the majority of packets seems to be delayed upwards of 10ms.

As of now I'm thinking to change ISP anyway since Vodafone seems to be very bad in Germany. Depending on the router I'll get it might be better or not or even come back after a while.

TTT

Post by TTT » 16 Feb 2021, 17:21

How are you connected to the router?

deagleicious

Post by deagleicious » 17 Feb 2021, 03:42

TTT wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 17:21
How are you connected to the router?
Ethernet cable. It's a pretty old one and I have a new one(cat7, double shielded) lying around wich has to be terminated still. It's routed through the floor into the basement with no proximity to any power cables.

TTT

Post by TTT » 17 Feb 2021, 05:38

I have had pretty much the same issues as you since I got a PC about 3 years ago, previous I was on Xbox and I have a feeling it was still happening then but its way more noticable with direct input of MnK.

I'm pretty sure now its my powerline adapters which I've used various types for many years.

See the few posts I made here: viewtopic.php?p=63967#p6396

As somebody said above you shouldn't be getting ping spikes direct to your router, I do with my powerlines and it can spike to 80-100 just to my router.

The way I can easily pinpoint its an online issue and not PC is take a game like Warzone or Coldwar. I can do the bot mode in cold war or the practice bot Warzone mode which is offline and I never get the issues in that which I get when I play them online.

I would start with your router and cable, if you can't swap that cable or test the new one first, order a newer router off Amazon and try that. Just send it back if it doesn't make a difference.

deagleicious

Post by deagleicious » 21 Feb 2021, 15:17

TTT wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 05:38
I play csgo only and I still get unsmooth gameplay offline with bots, even when ethernet is disconnected. It's just the animation-stuttering (wich is definetly cause by ping spikes) that disappear.

It's so hard to describe since it's just "feels" wrong. I can get good results on aiming benchmarks etc, but it's just so weird.

I'm suspecting some kind of hard hardware failure in combination with my unstable net to cause this mess, but I'm really not sure where to start. Maybe it's an issue with my graphics card, maybe ram, really don't know and currently not able to buy any replacements for those :D

TTT

Post by TTT » 22 Feb 2021, 08:02

So its already gone from internet issue to even with no internet theres still an issue.. You're probably chasing a ghost. :lol:

Have you done a full Windows refresh and defaulted all your settings?

deagleicious

Post by deagleicious » 22 Feb 2021, 10:17

TTT wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 08:02
So its already gone from internet issue to even with no internet theres still an issue.. You're probably chasing a ghost. :lol:

Have you done a full Windows refresh and defaulted all your settings?
Yeah, as I stated in the main post I've gone through several windows reinstalls, also testing a lot of different versions with no success.