Bad input lag/desync issue: Testing with AW2521H 360Hz monitor w/ Nvidia latency module

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
spoidah

Bad input lag/desync issue: Testing with AW2521H 360Hz monitor w/ Nvidia latency module

Post by spoidah » 21 Feb 2021, 16:00

EDIT2: I've completely overhauled the first post. I am now quite sure about what is causing our issues, it is a very sophisticated problem with power that causes EMI and various other issues we've all assumed is the cause of our problems. The long and short of it is we are dealing with harmonics, but not the 'normal' kind.

The issue may present itself as electrical noise from the 5KHz-20MHz range. The higher frequency noise in the MHz range likely isn't the cause of our problems, but it probably exacerbates it. I believe the main issue lies in the Hz and KHz range, and is caused by interharmonics and supraharmonics. It's normal to get some noise in those frequencies, but there's a threshold where they interfere in the power distribution and cause problems with electrical components (namely saturation of things like capacitors and transformer cores, which creates a snow-ball effect of larger and larger problems). Distortion of the fundamental frequency waveform can cause issues such as clock drift and ripple current inside your PC. Despite all the protective mechanisms inside a PSU, there are vulnerabilities to power quality issues, e.g. inductors and capacitors. These components are rated for a certain amount of current, and with harmonic distortion and subsequent low power factor, you can end up with saturation, and the components no longer do their 'job' of ensuring a stable flow of current. The same goes for things like online UPS's and power filters. Exceed certain thresholds and you'll end up with more distortion from those devices than you would directly plugging it into the wall (interharmonics are renouned for their difficult nature, they can easily overwhelm filters, AND incomplete filtering can result in the frequencies and effects being AMPLIFIED).

You can either read the journal article yourself (Interharmonics: What They Are, Where They Come From and What They Do) https://ccaps.umn.edu/documents/CPE-Con ... monics.pdf, or you can read my posts on page 4 where I post some of the TL;DR's and refer to other articles too.

Shoutout to nug, unixko, numberfive and a bunch of the others in the discord, we share journal articles and bounce ideas off each other to sorta educate ourselves and go down investigative pathways.

THE TL;DR is that interharmonics can mess with ripple control methods, meaning it'll INDUCE RIPPLE CURRENT inside household electronics, and can present itself alongside other issues like differential-mode noise, meaning it can't be filtered by conventional means, including isolation transformers and double conversion UPS's (unless the UPS's are medical grade and are engineered to keep the ripple controllers from being affected, though I'm not sure even those can stop it, options are quite limited, it seems harmonic filters are pretty much your only option, but they need to be multistage filters with dampening if they are passive harmonic filters, or you go the active harmonic filter route you need to be sure they are rated to deal with interharmonics and subharmonics).

Anyway, ripple current inside your PC means there's harmonic distortion inside your PC. Once the capacitors in the PSU and then the mobo are saturated, components inside the PC affected and saturated too, they'll emit much more EMI than normal, they'll emit more coil whine than usual, they'll overheat, they'll experience voltage overload events if there's harmonic resonance or slightly below resonance, depending on the mobo you'll either have damaged components or the mobo will throttle those components to protect them. It doesn't matter how good your cooling is, if you CPU gets a split-second of 1.8V the mobo will throttle.

phpBB [video]

(this is the original post)
Here we go folks, did some input lag testing with MSI afterburner and RTSS for your viewing pleasure.

As you can see, the lag/stutter/input lag issue doesn't seem linked to frametimes, going from 0.5 to 7.5ms isn't that big a deal immediately after killing a bot. The input lag also isn't 100% linked to mouse clicks, but pretty frequently I get unlucky and it corresponds perfectly with a lag spike, and I get values ranging from 100-400+ms. (when the monitor just shows x's, it means it was over 400ms input lag).

The issue also seems to vary in severity on different game engines. On games like aimlab and CS:GO (at least when offline) it's not too bad, but on games like Kovaak 2.0, PUBG, Battlefield etc. it's pretty terrible. When playing online on CS:GO, it'll start off relatively smoothly, but after about 40 minutes of playing, things get a lot more stuttery, and it ends up feeling like I'm dragging my mouse through mud and people are just warping around the place e.g. youtube com/watch?v=PcgOpLRh0do

Additionally, I know things are not right, because when I brought my mouse and mousepad to a friends house, with him using almost a carbon copy of my rig, I couldn't use my normal sensitivity - 2200eDPI, I had to use 1400eDPI, and the tracking and general gameplay felt so much better, much more crisp, and I was just bullying people with 1 taps.

EDIT: I have a potential method to help reduce these mouse tracking/input lag/stutter issues: Long story short, when you notice the issue is at it's peak crappiness, try underclocking, using a frequency about 300-400MHz below the 'intel turbo boost' default (e.g. i7 8700k is 4.7GHz, so I'm using 4.3GHz), with a medium to high LLC (e.g. level 5-6 ASUS, or 'high' to 'extreme' with gigabyte, but using your CPU VID as a point of reference for your vcore voltage instead of normal-style overclocking.

People usually ignore CPU VID because it's the value your mobo thinks the CPU needs to function, which is usually too high, but I'm thinking we can use the VID to get an idea of how the issue is affecting our CPU power draw, and approximate an underclock that allows 'additional capacity' for voltage for when we're being affected by this power issue - BUT with a twist, using CPU VID to figure out what vcore your mobo thinks the CPU needs, and aiming to keep the CPU VID lower than 85% of your CPU's 'safe upper limit' vcore voltage, by using low enough frequency, LLCs and vcore settings to facilitate this. (e.g. my 8700k's safe upper limit is 1.4V, 85% of that is 1.19V, I want my CPU VID to be lower than 1.19V, so I used a high LLC and lowered my frequency bit by bit until I saw the CPU VID was under 1.19V, I then set my 'maximum allowed vcore' to 1.19V)

If you want to try this yourself here's how:

• 1. Set your CPU frequency/clock speed 300-400MHz lower, set a high-ish LLC, KEEP your vcore on auto, and then load up windows. Using a monitoring program like hwinfo, look at your CPU VID, spam a few clicks on desktop, play a game, then do like 5 minutes of stress testing with prime95.

• 2. Look at the maximum CPU VID your CPU reached, and also the vcore, the highest value you see is your new baseline vcore voltage. Is it less than 85%? If no, use a lower CPU frequency/clock speed.

• 3. Now that you're at a CPU frequency that's low enough for your VID to be less than 85% the safe upper limit, set your vcore to that limit. Enjoy smooth gameplay. You can try to increase your CPU frequency a little bit and get more performance out of your PC, but when the interharmonics are at 'peak awful' territory, you may not have left yourself enough 'overhead' to avoid having issues. Also, if you want to get rid of the stutters, you'll need to read the stuff on page 4 (control+f, search for ripple current).

Here's an early attempt at figuring out my ideal underclock. I wasn't doing p95 tests and looking at VID then, and the underclock wasn't quite right, but the difference is still very noticable. Look at the difference in mouse control from 1:40 and 2:17).

phpBB [video]
Last edited by spoidah on 03 Jun 2021, 07:12, edited 23 times in total.

spoidah

Re: Bad input lag/desync issue: Testing with AW2521H 360Hz monitor w/ Nvidia latency module

Post by spoidah » 21 Feb 2021, 17:08

Anyway, I'll mention this here, I go by the handle 'breh' on the OCN, and spoidah back from the original nvidia forums thread, I've had this input lag/unmeasurable stutter problem for about 5-6 years now. I've tried all sorts of things, extensive overclocking, new hardware, power filters, replacing wiring in the house.

On the input lag thread on OCN, I mentioned I did some air-gapped, local network (wired) iperf3 UDP tests and noticed a link between my ethernet cables and power cords. Basically, when using 2 PC's I noticed a bit of packet loss, about 1-5%, but when using 1 PC and a laptop, I noticed much, much more packet loss and out-of-order packets, and the severity of the issue varied with the length of ethernet cables and was entirely directional, e.g. if I used a short ethernet cord to the laptop, and a 20m long ethernet cord to my PC, it had up to 99% packet loss, likewise 5m cables had 45-65% packet loss, and 1m cables had about 5-15% packet loss. If I used long cords to the laptop, and a short cord to the PC, there was very little packet loss. I tested this with multiple laptops, on different power plans, and every single time, when there was only 1 direct connection to a device plugged into an outlet, the packet loss was massive. The behaviour even corresponded to me plugging the power in and unplugging it from the laptop, it would go from 99% loss to 66%% and then back again the second I unplugged it, multiple times in within the same 30 second traces I did. I believe this packet loss is related to the 'desync' we see in games, but I also think there's re-transmissions happening at the level of the modem and routers too that just delays traffic up to ~550ms and beyond. Basically traffic with handshake protocols seem to reach things properly, but there's no real way of telling how many re-transmissions it took or how long it actually took from the level of the PC to the server, and with UDP you're basically losing a big chunk of info. This video I made kinda supports this theory
phpBB [video]

I've been speaking to an electrics whiz, and he suggested my issues may be related to RFI in the MHz ranges. I have a little EMF meter device, and noticed one of my routers seems to push electric fields through the ethernet cables, and within the same range (~950-1100V/m) as live powerlines (naturally the router is disconnected now). The router was connected to a wall-wart, so it doesn't get AC power, but the electronics guy suggested I look at the oscillator within the router, he says most of them are around 10MHz, and he thinks there's some kind of frequency that is resonating or something with the oscillator and causing it to emit the electric fields, as well as causing the ethernet cables to carry them. He also suggests that this kind of event is happening within my computer and causing issues with the clocks/frequencies.

I'm also pretty sure this has wider effects than just acting on my gaming PC, I've noticed issues with multiple PC's when it comes to mouse tracking, as well as problems with various devices e.g. older style wireless mice (logitech), the signal strength on those devices is barely more than ~2m.
I've also noticed my monitors seem to have slight jittery issues that make them look like they are operating at a lower refresh-rate than they are e.g. 360Hz looks like ~160Hz, and my 165Hz monitor looks like ~100Hz, even my OLED TV is affected, it has a very slight jittery appearance most of the time I use it. I've read from an article (energynetworks com au/assets/uploads/ENA-Customer-Guide-to-Electricity-Supply1.pdf) that electrical noise on mains AC can have this effect
Mains frequency electromagnetic fields (50 Hz) are more likely to produce specific problems with
audio circuits and computer screens than interfere with the normal operation of electrical
equipment. If audio circuits are not adequately shielded, nearby electrical cables can induce 50 Hz
signals. This problem is made worse if the noise signal is then amplified. Strong electromagnetic
fields can also deflect the path of the electron beam in computer screens, distorting the display or
causing it to jitter
There's other things as well, such as chargers seeming to heat up very quickly and burn out, batteries losing their charge faster than normal, and becoming unable to hold a charge much faster than normal (e.g. HP spectre laptop battery only lasts for 30 minutes after 1 year of exposure), as well as leakage voltages from most devices that can cause ground loop-style buzzing from speakers e.g. I've got a pair of onemore quad drivers with metal earbits, if I touch the power-pack of my laptop while the headphones are connected to the laptop I'll hear buzzing, indicating that I'm completing a circuit and the laptop is acting like an amplifier or something (happens with other devices too).
There's also issues with wifi barely managing to penetrate a single wall in the house. The signal strength of the 2.4GHz wifi is usually 4 bars 1 room away, but it'll frequently drop down to 3-2 bars, sometimes even 1 bar, and the 5GHz wifi will drop to nothing. I don't know how noise/RFi in the MHz range would be affecting GHz wifi though. Maybe the devices are just getting overwhelmed by electrical noise and emitting at the wrong frequency... There's also spots in the house where my phone says it has signal, but seems to drop calls and just not work, which is usually caused by interference in the 800-1200MHz range...

Anyway, I don't know why such a large range of these frequencies seem to have issues, but I'm hoping to get some electrical engineering contractors to my house at some point this year. I thought I'd jot down my symptoms as well just so people can have a think about if they experience similar stuff when they get this absolutely horrible 'undetectable stutter' issue.
Last edited by spoidah on 03 Mar 2021, 03:31, edited 1 time in total.

delve

Re: Bad input lag/desync issue: Testing with AW2521H 360Hz monitor w/ Nvidia latency module

Post by delve » 22 Feb 2021, 16:50

what happens, when you run the latency analyzer at your friends place? Do you also get these 200+ lag spikes?

spoidah

Post by spoidah » 22 Feb 2021, 19:00

delve wrote: ↑
22 Feb 2021, 16:50
what happens, when you run the latency analyzer at your friends place? Do you also get these 200+ lag spikes?
I didn't have Kovaak at the time I tested at my m8's place, but the highest spike I ever saw on my friends PC was 90ms. It simply didn't jump around like it does on my PC, and it didn't have stutters that seemed to respond to enemies popping up, or rapid clicking of the mouse and fast tracking movements. Also, the fact that using 2200 eDPI at his house with my mousepad and mouse felt like absolute cancer, and the mouse never felt like it was losing tracking mid-flick and stopping short of enemies, I was always overflicking until I lowered it to 1400 eDPI.
At my place, the mouse feels like its accelerating or decelerating randomly, but sometimes I experience stutters exactly as I click and it delays the bullet, giving me those stupidly high input lag values. It's almost as if there's some weird CPU interrupts going on in response to the NPC's spawning and despawning, and everything gets put on hold - including mouse movements and inputs - until it's done. Generally the hitch is over before I click in Kovaak (hence most of the clicks being 30-40ms despite observable stuttering happening), but in online play, it hitches EXACTLY as I click, almost every single time.

My friend always wondered why I never played any other shooters apart from CS, but it's because the mouse movement on other games feels like I'm playing with a controller instead, 'loose' and delayed. This is the case with multiple gaming PC's I've had since moving to this house.
Last edited by spoidah on 22 Feb 2021, 19:55, edited 2 times in total.

spoidah

Post by spoidah » 22 Feb 2021, 19:13

blackmagic wrote: ↑
22 Feb 2021, 17:18
I tried too here some things with notebook + pc.

games that i test: sa-mp, cs 1.6 and black squad..

i join from both (pc and notebook -on battery) to a server and tried to find and catch anomalies that could tell me more why i become a bot and noob in online games and what happens....
Try using iperf3 (it's free), using ethernet cables for both your laptop and PC, and setting the laptop or PC as a server. Disconnect your external connection to the internet so you only test your local network.
Then test how your local network handles UDP traffic. Try the test again, but use a 20m ethernet cable to your PC and a short cable to your laptop (if your PC is in a different room from your router you're probably already using a long cable, in which case your first test will be using a long cable to the PC and a short cable to a laptop).
Basically test the bandwidth your local network can handle. Hopefully you can blast it and test with 1000mbps, but failing that, test with 100mbps, then 50mbps, then 10mbps. You're looking for out-of-order packets that appear like this "iperf3: OUT OF ORDER - incoming packet = 118722 and received packet = 184257 AND SP = 4", as well as straight-up packet loss.

Quite a few people with desync and bad hitreg issues have noticed they get packet loss when they do this test.

I have a guide on how to setup the test on the OCN input lag thread.

TN_fun

Post by TN_fun » 23 Feb 2021, 06:19

This problem actually has a very simple fix. You just need to buy or rent another house an apartment ;)

spoidah

Post by spoidah » 23 Feb 2021, 09:18

TN_fun wrote: ↑
23 Feb 2021, 06:19
This problem actually has a very simple fix. You just need to buy or rent another house an apartment ;)
Yeah, don't I know it. The problem is you can get unlucky and move from one place to another with the same issues. Everyone who's genuinely no longer dealing with this problem has had to move multiple times until they got lucky.

In the long term, it's best to try and categorise exactly what we're dealing with, and what resolves it, and hope it becomes common knowledge. That way, at least people will know what they need to get done to fix the issue, or perhaps learn how to detect the issue prior to moving into another property.

Who knows, maybe it might redefine minimum electrical standards or power distribution standards. Maybe it'll attract attention from component manufacturers e.g. mobo's, CPU's, GPU's, monitors, cases etc. so they can either design their components to not be affected, or they'll know how to advise customers how to get the best performance out of their products.

ashrr

Post by ashrr » 23 Feb 2021, 09:26

I think you're supposed to use a dark background to get accurate results when using the latency analyzer. Could you try the same thing again with a dark background and maybe even darker targets so the analyzer only sees the flash?

n1zoo

Post by n1zoo » 23 Feb 2021, 11:20

so i believe that the issue i have has not rly to do with desync or hitreg that i experience here but something else that messes up with the engine and the game itself maybe...
I don't think so. I have this desync, bad hitreg problem also in LAN's, where PC's, monitors, network and of course electricity is different. I still have this lag. How this is even possible? I think the only logical reason is: Mice, keyboard, headset infected or damaged by EMI, RFI. Other thing could be that steam account causes this lag, but i have this lag in all fps shooters, not only in cs.
The only thing that helps a little bit with hitreg is old internet driver + make sure Realtek ethernet is unticked in MSI utility mode, and hyper threading disabled. Like I said, it helps just a little bit, but far away from real solution. So annoying :/

n1zoo

Post by n1zoo » 23 Feb 2021, 13:11

23 Feb 2021, 13:05
n1zoo wrote: ↑
23 Feb 2021, 11:20
so i believe that the issue i have has not rly to do with desync or hitreg that i experience here but something else that messes up with the engine and the game itself maybe...
I don't think so. I have this desync, bad hitreg problem also in LAN's, where PC's, monitors, network and of course electricity is different. I still have this lag. How this is even possible? I think the only logical reason is: Mice, keyboard, headset infected or damaged by EMI, RFI. Other thing could be that steam account causes this lag, but i have this lag in all fps shooters, not only in cs.
The only thing that helps a little bit with hitreg is old internet driver + make sure Realtek ethernet is unticked in MSI utility mode, and hyper threading disabled. Like I said, it helps just a little bit, but far away from real solution. So annoying :/
for me here it all feels don't like lag but something really off and sometimes getting "heavy" or "speeds up"...this 2 changes i can feel and see with my eye but can't really tell if it's the game, windows itself causing this or if it is my mouse, hardware...that what i still struggle to figure out.

but the most annoying is that i am not able to get normal kills and my timings are completely mess...non exist same like muscle memory not working more...
peeking advantage don't works for me and one tap heads...horror experience.

i read a comment where a guy said that his fingers hurts after 1 match or 30min of gameplay...same shitt happens to my fingers...they just start hurt after some...that 100% not normal and not how online games should be played...

all this bad things don't happened to me like 4-5 years ago...
i could play for 8 hours or all day and still feel fine and have a good sleep after that...
so how your input lag start happened? did u moved to new apartments and input lag appear?