Bad input lag/desync issue: Testing with AW2521H 360Hz monitor w/ Nvidia latency module

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
spoidah

Re: Bad input lag/desync issue: Testing with AW2521H 360Hz monitor w/ Nvidia latency module

Post by spoidah » 27 Feb 2021, 14:41

empleat wrote: ↑
27 Feb 2021, 13:09
How do you test input lag with Afterburner and RTSS??? Google found nothing.
That's the nvidia latency module on my 360Hz monitor measuring the input lag, I just added the RTSS/afterburner graphs as well so people can see the visual stutter is unrelated to frametimes or dips in framerate, and yep. It's annoying.

empleat

Re: Bad input lag/desync issue: Testing with AW2521H 360Hz monitor w/ Nvidia latency module

Post by empleat » 27 Feb 2021, 15:54

spoidah wrote: ↑
27 Feb 2021, 14:41
empleat wrote: ↑
27 Feb 2021, 13:09
How do you test input lag with Afterburner and RTSS??? Google found nothing.
That's the nvidia latency module on my 360Hz monitor measuring the input lag, I just added the RTSS/afterburner graphs as well so people can see the visual stutter is unrelated to frametimes or dips in framerate, and yep. It's annoying.
Sorry to hear that don't understand how anyone can have 210ms...

ashrr

Post by ashrr » 27 Feb 2021, 16:12

27 Feb 2021, 14:36
ashrr wrote: ↑
27 Feb 2021, 10:38
The game doesn't really matter but CS:GO would be better since you can compare your results with FR33THY's and we're only looking at the difference in input lag. If you do want to use Kovaak's try in sandbox mode where you can change the colour of the floor and walls to solid black.
Done.
phpBB [video]

I looked at sandbox mode, but I just didn't experience the laggy stuttery behaviour on those community maps. I think it's specific to the 'training mode'. Anyway, to compensate for this, I picked a weapon with a much brighter muzzle flash.
One or two of the high values on the 5GHz side was me missing the 'reset' part of the screen that spawns a new bot, and the game-mode requires you to spawn a new bot in order to fire, so that value isn't valid. I also switched back from 4.5GHz to 5GHz in order to test this, but the problem seems to get to peak awful after keeping it at the higher frequency for a long while, so while it was a little unstable feeling compared to the 4.5GHz attempt, it still felt more stable than the previous video I did the first time (the 2nd video I posted on the first page of this thread)
I tried the same mode and I get a lot of stutters with it too, it could just be poorly optimized so no point basing your tweaking around it.
I tried doing a fr33thy style CS video, but decided against it. The main problem is that I don't get stutters randomly, it's in response to enemy players, when they peek me, and when I try to shoot at them, shooting at a wall in a dark part of a map doesn't display the problem, I even tried to gather footage on a deathmatch server, shooting in CT spawn just like fr33thy did, it didn't show anything unusual.
Doing some googling I've found quite a few posts of people with the same problem so again it could just be the game. Do you experience this problem in any other games? You could try Overwatch or Diabotical, these are both very smooth for me with no microstutters.

spoidah

Post by spoidah » 28 Feb 2021, 00:39

27 Feb 2021, 16:12

Doing some googling I've found quite a few posts of people with the same problem so again it could just be the game. Do you experience this problem in any other games? You could try Overwatch or Diabotical, these are both very smooth for me with no microstutters.
Yeah for sure. Pretty much every game except CS and Aimlab feel like the mouse movement is floaty and dealing with strange acceleration, e.g. PUBG, battlefield 4 or WW2, CoD, etc. I also experience stutters with those games too, again when I'm playing against people, either shooting at them or getting shot at.

Alpha

Post by Alpha » 04 Mar 2021, 12:52

28 Feb 2021, 00:39

Yeah for sure. Pretty much every game except CS and Aimlab feel like the mouse movement is floaty and dealing with strange acceleration, e.g. PUBG, battlefield 4 or WW2, CoD, etc. I also experience stutters with those games too, again when I'm playing against people, either shooting at them or getting shot at.
Curious what you see when running humanbenchmark test? Does this fluctuate?

nuggify

Post by nuggify » 04 Mar 2021, 16:22

f1ndus wrote: ↑
27 Feb 2021, 13:48
hello boys, after few days testing and taking informations i am sure PC is not affected (maybe in some cases)
- change place with only PC and strager monitor = everything FINE.
- change place with only MONITOR = PROBLEM, stutters, unsmooth , input lag

After 1 day reading information aboute behavior monitor to electricity power.

Monitors are really prone to unbalanced power electric voltages.
ASUS tech support confirmed - Monitor can be damaged by inconsistent voltages in house from outlet.
Online UPS with AVR and pure sine wave can help but does not have to.

Probably YOURS monitors are already damaged and nothing will help.

+ new monitor directly plug to online UPS or some of type stabilizer power.
This theory is super easily disprovable. Buy a brand new monitor and test. Ive done it 3 times. Used power filtering before monitor as well.

TN_fun

Post by TN_fun » 05 Mar 2021, 15:48

You can test, after your "fix", with by recording a monitor on the camera in overwatch(maybe hitscan hero, soldier, cree etc) or battlefield 4?

ashrr

Post by ashrr » 05 Mar 2021, 16:22

e.g. PUBG, battlefield 4 or WW2, CoD, etc.
Are you GPU limited (99% Usage) in these games? If you are then this is adding some lag.
I also experience stutters with those games too, again when I'm playing against people, either shooting at them or getting shot at.
Do you have anything else open when running these games? I would get stutters with Firefox open as it was using a lot of VRAM so check what your VRAM usage is before opening up a game.

spoidah

Post by spoidah » 05 Mar 2021, 23:59

Alpha wrote: ↑
04 Mar 2021, 12:52

Curious what you see when running humanbenchmark test? Does this fluctuate?
Yeah, it's highly inconsistent. Sometimes I'll hit things and it'll show 44ms, even though I clearly saw it turn green, sometimes I'll hit it at the same speed and it'll say ~170 - 190ms, if I hesitate slightly it's well over 210ms. When testing on a normal PC at a friends house I have a range of about 120-140ms, where if I hesitate slightly it's about 160ms.

Edit: Oh. You mean the screen input lag, I haven't been able to get that working on humanbenchmark, doesn't seem to like the colour scheme.

spoidah

Post by spoidah » 06 Mar 2021, 00:18

TN_fun wrote: ↑
05 Mar 2021, 15:48
You can test, after your "fix", with by recording a monitor on the camera in overwatch(maybe hitscan hero, soldier, cree etc) or battlefield 4?
Yeah, I'll re-download a few games and see how it goes. It ain't quite a fix, since mouse movement is still a tiny bit wonky in CoD, but it's better at least.
05 Mar 2021, 16:22
Are you GPU limited (99% Usage) in these games? If you are then this is adding some lag.

Do you have anything else open when running these games? I would get stutters with Firefox open as it was using a lot of VRAM so check what your VRAM usage is before opening up a game.
Nah, not GPU limited, I have a AORUS XTREME 2080ti.

And nope, I don't keep any programs open when playing games. I've covered all the bases and all the conceivable windows tweaks, including using ultimate performance mode and disabling power suspend settings, and even attempting to use a stripped-out version of windows (which I've since reverted).

Also, protip for anyone who uses Chrome. Be sure to disable the 'feature' they enable by default which keeps Chrome running in the background even after it's closed.