Do external FPS limiters add delay even when you're running below the cap?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
clembo2021

Do external FPS limiters add delay even when you're running below the cap?

Post by clembo2021 » 25 Feb 2021, 21:34

The reason I ask is I'm thinking about adding a global -3 FPS limit in RTSS. However, I'm wondering if this would be counterproductive in high-end games like Cyberpunk that never come close to hitting 144FPS. So is the 1 frame of delay that is added always there, or does it only happen when you're actually running up against the limit?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Do external FPS limiters add delay even when you're running below the cap?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Feb 2021, 21:55

clembo2021 wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 21:34
The reason I ask is I'm thinking about adding a global -3 FPS limit in RTSS. However, I'm wondering if this would be counterproductive in high-end games like Cyberpunk that never come close to hitting 144FPS. So is the 1 frame of delay that is added always there, or does it only happen when you're actually running up against the limit?
Capping doesn't add lag when the cap is never hit. Capping is done to prevent a worse lag (VSYNC ON lag which can be multiple frames), since VRR displays have a tendancy to inherit VSYNC ON latency if you have framerates=Hz.

When the cap is never hit (or if there is no cap) there is only a max of 1 refresh cycle of delay, NOT 1 frame of delay.

That's why 100fps at 240Hz has much lower lag than 100fps at 144Hz.

I tend to use global RTSS limits in all solo gaming apps and perhaps a few esports apps. The RTSS limit is typically harmless to most apps when the limit is never hit.

That said, if you're going to use VRR in esports (where esports athletes warn about VRR lag without understanding how to fix VRR lag) -- I always recommend such users do as highest Hz as possible to reduce lag. i.e. 100fps at 360Hz. VRR ranges larger than framerate ranges often nullifies VRR disadvantages in esports.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

readtext

Post by readtext » 26 Feb 2021, 09:41

when i used RTSS to limit the fps in csgo i had a strange behavior. I capped the fps to 144 and i had 144 fps but my cpu was still running like it would be 300 fps (cpu usage was high) after i changed fps_max to lets say 160 than my cpu usage also dropped but the fps ingame was still 144

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 26 Feb 2021, 13:42

clembo2021 wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 21:34
The Chief is correct, but I also answered your comment here:
https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101- ... ment-11576
readtext wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 09:41
when i used RTSS to limit the fps in csgo i had a strange behavior. I capped the fps to 144 and i had 144 fps but my cpu was still running like it would be 300 fps (cpu usage was high) after i changed fps_max to lets say 160 than my cpu usage also dropped but the fps ingame was still 144
RTSS uses up CPU cycles to limit the FPS, which makes the CPU usage look higher than it actually is. Effectively harmless from a performance perspective.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)