Negligible or potentially adding latency?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Alpha

Negligible or potentially adding latency?

Post by Alpha » 03 Mar 2021, 23:25

My GPro Superlight needs an extender as the one that came with it is too short. What are the best options so I do not add latency? I need 10-15 feet.Thanks all!!

deama

Re: Negligible or potentially adding latency?

Post by deama » 08 Mar 2021, 13:26

I don't think any would add much latency unless we're talking a big distance here. The bigger issue would be greater potential for noise/EM collection because the distance would be greater, thus greater exposure. Only way to fix this part would be to either shield it well, or make sure it isn't near any other wires, or both.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Mar 2021, 18:25

Alpha wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 23:25
My GPro Superlight needs an extender as the one that came with it is too short. What are the best options so I do not add latency? I need 10-15 feet.Thanks all!!
On the passive-vs-active cable discusson:

1. Try a non-active extension cable, but make sure you don't exceed a grand total of 15 feet (existing mouse cable + extension cable).

Get the most well-shielded USB extension cable you can buy from Amazon. Anything that's USB3 with coaxial shielding will do, USB3 is overkill but long USB3 cables tend to be more well-shielded than cheap USB/USB2 extension cables and protects USB2 signals better over longer distances.

Be careful about tickling the USB length limit -- that's where USB error correction latencies bites your ass. So don't try to do 20 feet without active repeatering. It might work, but it might start to lag like a glitchy packet-dropping Internet connection.

Now, if you end up needing an active cable -- be noted active repeater cables add more latency than non-active cables, but may actually resist EMI a bit better than non-active cables (by being a repeater for the USB signal to stay strong, and avoid error-correction latencies)

You can also, optionally, use Oculus' optical-fiber Oculus Link USB cable which is (ironically) one of the best, lowest-latency, and most-EMI-resistant USB extension cables on the market.

Being designed to keep VR latencies low and USB signal strong and low-jitter (eliminate a lot of error correction latencies) -- it is a bit expensive to be used for non-VR purposes, but it's an option when cost is no object (~$80 to buy the world's most popular optical-fiber USB cable!). 4.5 stars on Amazon, with most 1-star Amazon reviews from people moving around in VR and snapping off USB-C connector by yanking cable -- but if you're just using it as a stationary USB-C cable, that doesn't apply to you. Excluding that, it's practically a 5-star extension cable. Overkill for most non-VR things, but if you need a long extension cable with negligible repeater latency while also eliminating error correction latency (for weak extended USB signals that is interference-prone) -- then this USB cable is your baby if you have a USB-C port on your computer and have a high-EMI environment. But for a mere gaming mouse, it's almost always absolute overkill.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Alpha

Post by Alpha » 10 Mar 2021, 08:24

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 18:25
Alpha wrote:

1. Try a non-active extension cable, but make sure you don't exceed a grand total of 15 feet (existing mouse cable + extension cable).

Get the most well-shielded USB extension cable you can buy from Amazon. Anything that's USB3 with coaxial shielding will do, USB3 is overkill but long USB3 cables tend to be more well-shielded than cheap USB/USB2 extension cables and protects USB2 signals better over longer distances.

Be careful about tickling the USB length limit -- that's where USB error correction latencies bites your ass. So don't try to do 20 feet without active repeatering. It might work, but it might start to lag like a glitchy packet-dropping Internet connection.

Now, if you end up needing an active cable -- be noted active repeater cables add more latency than non-active cables, but may actually resist EMI a bit better than non-active cables (by being a repeater for the USB signal to stay strong, and avoid error-correction latencies)

You can also, optionally, use Oculus' optical-fiber Oculus Link USB cable which is (ironically) one of the best, lowest-latency, and most-EMI-resistant USB extension cables on the market.

Being designed to keep VR latencies low and USB signal strong and low-jitter (eliminate a lot of error correction latencies) -- it is a bit expensive to be used for non-VR purposes, but it's an option when cost is no object (~$80 to buy the world's most popular optical-fiber USB cable!). 4.5 stars on Amazon, with most 1-star Amazon reviews from people moving around in VR and snapping off USB-C connector by yanking cable -- but if you're just using it as a stationary USB-C cable, that doesn't apply to you. Excluding that, it's practically a 5-star extension cable. Overkill for most non-VR things, but if you need a long extension cable with negligible repeater latency while also eliminating error correction latency (for weak extended USB signals that is interference-prone) -- then this USB cable is your baby if you have a USB-C port on your computer and have a high-EMI environment. But for a mere gaming mouse, it's almost always absolute overkill.
The world doesn't deserve you brother. If I grabbed that cable and the PCIe Card do you think this would be about the best solution all things considered for my GPro Superlight as well as the Viper 8k?

Man you were literally right on with the 8k. Its not a joke and seriously, the main pad I am using with it (XRay Aqua Control+) is not ideal. My GPro Superlight files on this but not the Viper. I even prefer the shape of the GPro but not by a ton. Having said that, I am faster with the Viper. It just locks on. I've read multiple times your excellent work on the higher polling (they'll tell stories about you) and I don't pretend to understand everything at such a granular level but good gosh, I click heads with it. Higher polling is a must on faster displays. My personal opinion (maybe its just the sensor but I also have the Viper Ultimate and Viper Mini) is even at lower refresh rates (180ish) it should be strongly looked at. No way I am buying another 1000hz mouse. That ship sailed.

Arbybear

Post by Arbybear » 11 Nov 2021, 18:03

Chief Blur Buster wrote:

On the passive-vs-active cable discusson: [...]
Where does the extra latency for active repeater cables come from? Does whatever logic to boost the signal really take that long?

Related question: do USB hubs add significant latency (assume only 1 input device is connected to the hub)?

I want to connect my desktop PC to a TV in another room with 15 meter HDMI and USB cables (would connect the USB cable to a hub on the TV side). I found an active optical HDMI cable, but active optical USB cables seem far more rare and expensive. An active repeater cable would definitely be cheaper, but I don't know if it would work well for my use case.

Does anyone have any insight for this? Ideally looking for USB type A.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Nov 2021, 13:32

Arbybear wrote:
11 Nov 2021, 18:03
Related question: do USB hubs add significant latency (assume only 1 input device is connected to the hub)?
It varies on the hub. Some hubs seem to add more latency, and other hubs adds much more minor latency. I imagine that this could be a useful testing avenue for USB precision nuts. A temporal accuracy graph comparison between different USB hubs would be a new territory for reviewers.

Currently, the best active optical USB cable is the $80 Oculus Link cable, which works for non-VR use cases.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Mugabi

Post by Mugabi » 12 Nov 2021, 19:30

Alpha wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 08:24
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Alpha wrote:

The world doesn't deserve you brother. If I grabbed that cable and the PCIe Card do you think this would be about the best solution all things considered for my GPro Superlight as well as the Viper 8k?

Man you were literally right on with the 8k. Its not a joke and seriously, the main pad I am using with it (XRay Aqua Control+) is not ideal. My GPro Superlight files on this but not the Viper. I even prefer the shape of the GPro but not by a ton. Having said that, I am faster with the Viper. It just locks on. I've read multiple times your excellent work on the higher polling (they'll tell stories about you) and I don't pretend to understand everything at such a granular level but good gosh, I click heads with it. Higher polling is a must on faster displays. My personal opinion (maybe its just the sensor but I also have the Viper Ultimate and Viper Mini) is even at lower refresh rates (180ish) it should be strongly looked at. No way I am buying another 1000hz mouse. That ship sailed.
How better the viper 8khz to gpro super light 1khz, is it worth getting for a 240hz monitor? Cuz i heard to make the most out of it, you would need a 360hz monitor at least.

Slender

Post by Slender » 14 Nov 2021, 20:50

Alpha wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 08:24
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Alpha wrote:

not more 1000hz? show ur mousetester graph plz