PS/2 with modern systems

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
BTRY B 529th FA BN

PS/2 with modern systems

Post by BTRY B 529th FA BN » 20 Mar 2021, 17:55

When the industry decided to kill off PS/2 that sealed the fate for perfect mouse + keyboard harmony with gaming, IMO.

I tried separating my kb & mouse into separate USB 3.0 hubs until I noticed my aim didn't seem to be in sync with games. This was most apparent on UT4. There is scientific troubleshooting evidence that separating the input devices onto different hubs improves accuracy of the mouse, why, my guess is that the polling rates are separated of which the details of that functionality is foreign to me.

Are there any PS/2 adapters that would enable the function exactly how our input devices use to be a decade ago? And with a USB to PS/2 inline adapter with the connection cables would that provide the bridge to the same immediate interrupt response?

empleat

Re: PS/2 with modern systems

Post by empleat » 20 Mar 2021, 18:09

BTRY B 529th FA BN wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 17:55
When the industry decided to kill off PS/2 that sealed the fate for perfect mouse + keyboard harmony with gaming, IMO.

I tried separating my kb & mouse into separate USB 3.0 hubs until I noticed my aim didn't seem to be in sync with games. This was most apparent on UT4. There is scientific troubleshooting evidence that separating the input devices onto different hubs improves accuracy of the mouse, why, my guess is that the polling rates are separated of which the details of that functionality is foreign to me.

Are there any PS/2 adapters that would enable the function exactly how our input devices use to be a decade ago? And with a USB to PS/2 inline adapter with the connection cables would that provide the bridge to the same immediate interrupt response?
PS/2 is better athough only until 500hz, then difference becomes minimal. Tho since there are only USB 3 drivers, mouse movement even in USB 2 is fucked! There are, but you need active adapters since no mice support PS/2 today, nothing I could find at least! Which cost a lot, probably not worth it. There will something better probably in 2 years thanks to 500hz monitors and esports I would hope!

Disable all USB 3 ports in BIOS, this helped a bit, since USB Root HUB (USB 3.0) changes only to USB Root HUB. Former was causing movement to worsen significantly!

Also check this: https://www.overclock.net/threads/how-t ... e.1750736/

Also legacy should be better in terms of mousefeel, than UEFI. It can be switched without reinstall, all you need to do is probably to convert disk from GPT to MBR (can be done without data loss) and then change partition. I Am on UEFI, because it is not 2000 something, but legacy would be probably better. Also secure boot introduces quite a delay, which is not good thing to turn off, if you need security for something! Also TPM on is fine, it doesn't cause any lag!

silikone

Post by silikone » 30 Mar 2021, 16:15

PS/2 for mice doesn't seem to offer any tangible benefit. I tested it by underclocking it to 10Hz and clicking it against a USB mouse. The USB mouse almost always registered first.

BTRY B 529th FA BN

Post by BTRY B 529th FA BN » 30 Mar 2021, 16:54

silikone wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 16:15
PS/2 for mice doesn't seem to offer any tangible benefit. I tested it by underclocking it to 10Hz and clicking it against a USB mouse. The USB mouse almost always registered first.
Thanks for the testing and reply,

Cheers

deama

Post by deama » 31 Mar 2021, 09:55

PS/2 can only go up to 125hz I believe, the real advantage for it though is better handling of the data, whereas the USB busses can be more easily interrupted etc...

Chief did a threat for this thing at one point, couple months back I believe, he mentioned that you can reduce the USB interfering issue thing by plugging in the USB wires in their own column or row (varies by mobo), or if you can/want, buy a PCI USB extension, assuming you have enough space for it.

dervu

Post by dervu » 31 Mar 2021, 12:22

I want to see all that things like USB/ secure boot/partition type things affecting movement tested by battlenonsense. He has perfect hardware for that right now. Not only measuring input lag in clicking but also movement delay.
Ryzen 7950X3D / MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio / ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS / 2x16GB DDR5@6000 G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279QM / Logitech G PRO X SUPERLIGHT / SkyPAD Glass 3.0 / Wooting 60HE / DT 700 PRO X || EMI Input lag issue survivor

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 31 Mar 2021, 22:34

If your keyboard and mouse have 1khz polling I wouldn't bother. If it's a lower polling rate you might see some improvement from PS/2.

Being an interrupt is good, but the data rate is much lower than USB, so the time it takes to actually transfer a PS/2 sample becomes an issue.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 01 Apr 2021, 11:30

There are some benefits with PS/2 keyboards (NKRO without needing multiple virtual HIDs mostly, if the keyboard's controller supports it) but with mice, PS/2 doesn't have anything that's better in some actually tangible way.

I use PS/2 for my keyboard, USB for my mouse.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Apr 2021, 16:37

deama wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 09:55
Chief did a thread for this thing at one point
FTFY. The thread is at: Tip: Put mouse/keyboard on separate USB controllers.
However, this is not always universal advice -- there are situations where routing through a single high performance hub is superior to putting one of them on an inferior hub.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

BTRY B 529th FA BN

Post by BTRY B 529th FA BN » 01 Apr 2021, 19:04

It's also pertinent to note that AMD was having USB issues till they investigated the problem and fixed it with an AGESA update. Personally I upgraded my AMD X570/5k series chip gaming rig to a beta bios with the patch/fix and it's a huge improvement. So my experience before is not reflective of others who are not experiencing this issue, I imagine Intel gamers. I almost jumped to a new Intel system til this came along. Glad I didn't.