Is it possible for a poor quality network cable to cause input lag and stutter?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
heavywe

Is it possible for a poor quality network cable to cause input lag and stutter?

Post by heavywe » 29 Mar 2021, 11:49

I think I found the cause of my input lag at 99%. And yes, what causes me the input lag is a network cable that I bought about 5 years ago, it is a cat5e UTP network cable. At the moment I am using my smartphone and sharing the internet through the USB cable. And let me tell you, I no longer feel half-second freezes, and no input lag. Bullets in CS: GO come out more fluid. Bad point is that the connection is very unstable over WIFI.

I have been testing this for 3 days, and yes, in the 3 days I have felt the games as I have not felt them in years.

deama

Re: Is it possible for a poor quality network cable to cause input lag and stutter?

Post by deama » 31 Mar 2021, 10:00

Yes it's possible depending on the game, obviously it won't do anything for a singleplayer game, but for multiplayer it can vary. Some games implement a type of synchronization wherein they tie the network stability/latency with the game's fps, in which case, if you have bad internet, it will give you bad fps.