Max buffered frames in OpenGL

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
silikone

Max buffered frames in OpenGL

Post by silikone » 30 Mar 2021, 16:29

Is there any consistency to the max number of queued frames there are in OpenGL? I always assumed it was the same everywhere, but I get different results among different titles and even different PC's.

As I don't have a fast camera, I have to use more unreliable methods to measure frame latency. One way is to use something with hardware cursors and movable windows and measure the delta in a static photo. If that fails, a demanding title can be brought to a crawl until individual frames can be counted by hand. In my own simple application, the rendering is behind the cursor by five frames with Vsync engaged. If I add a glFinish(), it is reduced to one frame.
In Doom 2016, that number seemed to be only four, which could perhaps be a result of the sheer number of draw calls acting as a limiter for frame queueing.
However, on a different PC with a workstation GPU, the same simple application only lagged by four frames. Whether this is a difference in hardware, drivers, or something else is uncertain, but it suggests that there is a hard limit independent of render complexity that isn't universal.
What could explain this variation?