Lost on setup for Rocket League

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
RocketRager

Re: Lost on setup for Rocket League

Post by RocketRager » 06 Apr 2021, 14:03

deama wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 10:21
RocketRager wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 15:52

Holy shit it took a miracle for me to find this site. My google search terms for rocket league has to be real specific for me to get here! I’m so happy.

I’m in a similar boat as OP. I have a 144hz VA panel (AOC). I know they aren’t very good after reading a few threads here. But if it’s just a GTG thing and not an Hz thing then maybe I don’t care?

My problem is that I always feel slightly behind everyone in game. I can’t rank up even with so many hours of practice. It’s like I’m in a different time reality than them.

Would 240hz be the answer I’m looking for or am I a fool?

Ryzen 2600, rtx 2070, dualsense controller oc’d to 1k Hz

I can provide more info if needed. Should I just start a new thread?
Do you play the game in borderless mode or fullscreen exclusive? And if at fullscreen exclusive, are you sure it's fullscreen exclusive?
You can check by trying to alt-tab, it should be instantaneous in borderless mode, but should feel weird, sluggish and might take even a second if you try alt-tab in fullscreen exclusive, some games even force the game into borderless until you either manually switch it back in options, or alt-tab back into the game.

Full screen for sure. I did toy with borderless for a few days though. Not sure that I noticed any difference.

When I’m on full screen and i alt tab it does take a second yes. When I was borderless it brought up all the available tabs doe me to switch to yes. If that’s what you’re saying.

I’m seeing another forum member here who looks like he’s maybe banned. RLCSContender. He has tons of posts about rocket league related things, specifically monitors. He said that an XB273 was 240hz and super low input lag and he felt like he was cheating against other players. I’m pretty desperate to try something like that TBH. He even has a mod which can show him his opponents hardware and the only people that trouble him are asus 280hz users. Not sure if he’s full of shit or not. Seems legit though.

The way he describes beating his opponents to the ball is exactly what sounds like is happening to me.

I have good internet (but now I’m learning all kids of weird stuff like calling your isp and asking them to reset ports etc). I don’t think it’s internet related but damn who really knows.

I’m not about to have my house rewired with electricity either. I’ll quit the game well before that lmao.

victor910

Post by victor910 » 06 Apr 2021, 20:38

RocketRager wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 09:53
I want to be faster.
you need to use special medication. this wrong place to request, no one helps you with this.

RocketRager wrote:
I’m simply not arriving at the ball a split second before the enemy.
a split second is 500ms?
RocketRager wrote:
I need to be milliseconds faster.
5ms will be enough?
RocketRager wrote:
They can arrive at the ball a microsecond before me.
wait a second, microsend or millisecond??? what going on, what you exactly want?

deama

Post by deama » 06 Apr 2021, 22:26

RocketRager wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 14:03
Full screen for sure. I did toy with borderless for a few days though. Not sure that I noticed any difference.

When I’m on full screen and i alt tab it does take a second yes. When I was borderless it brought up all the available tabs doe me to switch to yes. If that’s what you’re saying.

I’m seeing another forum member here who looks like he’s maybe banned. RLCSContender. He has tons of posts about rocket league related things, specifically monitors. He said that an XB273 was 240hz and super low input lag and he felt like he was cheating against other players. I’m pretty desperate to try something like that TBH. He even has a mod which can show him his opponents hardware and the only people that trouble him are asus 280hz users. Not sure if he’s full of shit or not. Seems legit though.

The way he describes beating his opponents to the ball is exactly what sounds like is happening to me.

I have good internet (but now I’m learning all kids of weird stuff like calling your isp and asking them to reset ports etc). I don’t think it’s internet related but damn who really knows.

I’m not about to have my house rewired with electricity either. I’ll quit the game well before that lmao.
You might as well go for a 360hz monitor then as that would give you a bit more of an improvement than a 240hz. Yes a monitor model does matter, but as long as it's a decent 360hz monitor, the extra hz will be better.
Not sure what ghz clock speed you're running your CPU at, but getting a ryzen 5600x cause it only has a single ccx (less latency), and overclocking it to the highest ghz you can and keeping it stable (disable turbo), and might as well disable hyperthreading to be able to get a bit more ghz would probably give you a nice improvement. I myself observed about a 4ms difference from my 4ghz to 4.2ghz(disabled hyperthreading too), combine that with a 360hz monitor, the game should feel pretty responsive.
Oh and you should also lock your GPU core clock speed as well to a nice stable one, from my experimenting, increasing it doesn't seem to reduce input lag much, improves stability a bit though; but there was a person here a while back that was claiming that it did indeed reduce input lag, but he was comparing nvidia's 1800mhz to amd's 2500mhz, so if you're willing to change GPUs to a 6700xt and clock it to 2400mhz or so, that's another goal.

You can also try fiddling with computer configurations, but that stuff can be fiddly and usually doesn't add too much to input lag, it's mostly to stabilize any spikes so you have a more consistent experience, I think the most important ones are the timer resolution stuff, and debloating your windows as much as you can (uninstall as much crap that either you have, or that came with windows itself), sometimes though this debloat can be some system stuff that microsoft is trying to shove down your throat so might be a bit of a hassle to remove it.

That I think would be about it, best setup would basically be a 3600hz monitor, either a ryzen 5600x, or a high-end intel cpu, clocked to the highest stable frequency you can, and in your case disable hyperthreading to be able to push it even higher, and maybe get an amd card cause they're clocks can go much higher.
You can try and get high-end RAM chips and try overclocking all the various timings, but after dabbling with that stuff, it's a very "needle in a haystack" type of situation, as long as you got good RAM chips and use the XMP profile, you should be fine.

Dizzy

Post by Dizzy » 07 Apr 2021, 04:48

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 17:24

100fps at 240Hz = LESS LAG than 100fps at 144Hz
Would overclocking the monitor help even more then?

Dorhelinho

Post by Dorhelinho » 07 Apr 2021, 05:41

I don't want to scare you but in my case the 'faster than others' is very rare but when it happens I can go on unbelievable winning streaks and the game is much more fun than usual. But in my case I think it's a rare issue where the majority of players do not feel the game is different from day to day

What's your rank? Do you play KB/Mouse or controller

RocketRager

Post by RocketRager » 07 Apr 2021, 15:11

Dorhelinho wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 05:41
I don't want to scare you but in my case the 'faster than others' is very rare but when it happens I can go on unbelievable winning streaks and the game is much more fun than usual. But in my case I think it's a rare issue where the majority of players do not feel the game is different from day to day

What's your rank? Do you play KB/Mouse or controller
D1. Highest I was near D2. I can go on big streaks too but usually it’s followed by huge losing streaks that take weeks to recover from.

Controller. Dualsense oc’d to 1k Hz. Ds4windows fully dialed in profile that took me months to figure out on my own. FTTH Internet

deama

Post by deama » 07 Apr 2021, 16:57

Dizzy wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 04:48
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 17:24

100fps at 240Hz = LESS LAG than 100fps at 144Hz
Would overclocking the monitor help even more then?
Yes, but it depends, maybe you're monitor sucks and even though it might work fine at 175hz, it might not be stable.
You could however reduce the resolution to e.g. 720p, that should allow you to push the hz higher without as much trouble.

Dizzy

Post by Dizzy » 08 Apr 2021, 04:34

RocketRager wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 15:52
My problem is that I always feel slightly behind everyone in game. I can’t rank up even with so many hours of practice. It’s like I’m in a different time reality than them.

Would 240hz be the answer I’m looking for or am I a fool?
No monitor is going to make you faster than everyone in rocket league. Low input lag is great for mechanics but if you feel way behind everyone, hardware probably isn't the answer. Proper positioning, reading/predicting the ball quickly, and perfect fast aerials are where the speed is at.
RocketRager wrote:
I’m simply not arriving at the ball a split second before the enemy.
Then they were faster and/or better positioned. What's your training like? What do you typically focus on? How much free play vs. training packs? How much replay review do you do? We often feel we did everything we could in the moment, but in reality there were several little things we could have done better/faster.
RocketRager wrote:
It feels like I’m in a different dimension than them sometimes.
Everyone feels like this when playing against much faster opponents. I'm a GC, but SSL's can absolutely smoke me to the ball. No one in diamond is playing at pro speed. Believe you can improve your speed, I promise you can.

Dizzy

Post by Dizzy » 08 Apr 2021, 04:38

deama wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 16:57
Yes, but it depends, maybe you're monitor sucks and even though it might work fine at 175hz, it might not be stable.
You could however reduce the resolution to e.g. 720p, that should allow you to push the hz higher without as much trouble.
Will it be obvious if it's unstable? Or is there a gray area where I might not notice that it's not being consistent?

deama

Post by deama » 10 Apr 2021, 14:35

Dizzy wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 04:38
deama wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 16:57
Will it be obvious if it's unstable? Or is there a gray area where I might not notice that it's not being consistent?
Not too sure about that one, I think the chief might have to get into this one.
If you have good eyes you could always try it with feeling, like overclock it and then test it out on a game and see how it feels, or if you have a high fps camera, you could use that to see the changes and if they're stable.