Lost on setup for Rocket League

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Dizzy

Lost on setup for Rocket League

Post by Dizzy » 01 Apr 2021, 01:07

Hi all, I'm new to the forums and need some help. Normally I do my own extensive research (and roll my eyes at noob posts asking to be spoon fed answers) but I tried diving in like I usually do and well, my head is spinning. Gsync and/or vsync, ulmb, cap or don't cap framerate, overdrive, nvidia inspector... Too many new things with what feels like a bunch of yes, but also sometimes no, maybe always both, sometimes only one, depends on your game/monitor/gpu/framerate/ping/eyeballs/age/hair color/skill level/etc answers.

I specifically want to maximize performance for rocket league. Searching the forum gave a ton of results of someone trolling, or people saying silly things like: input lag doesn't matter for rocket league. I also saw the advice that since it's not an FPS, rocket league should have smooth motion prioritized over input lag. I'm no pro but I'm fairly confident saying that reducing input lag is #1 for high level RL. Advanced mechanics require very precise timing and responsiveness. Obviously you can't go crazy and destroy your picture trying to shave fractions of a millisecond, but I'd like it as low as comfortably possible. It's also apparently beneficial to cap your framerate to a multiple of the tick rate (120hz).

I'm now on a 1440p gsync (compatible) 144hz (170 oc) monitor and I guess shooting for 240fps cap? What are the best ways to go all-in on input lag? Or is there something I'm overlooking?

deama

Re: Lost on setup for Rocket League

Post by deama » 04 Apr 2021, 21:16

Best way is get higher hz, generally soft cap seems to be around 240-360hz, after that point you'll get small improvements.

Other than that, make sure you're running in fullscreen exclusive and that it is indeed running in fullscreen exclusive to disable the dwm (at 120hz that should give you about +8ms or so), and that's about it when it comes to the easy stuff.

The rest of it can very from what type of CPU you have, type of GPU, type of RAM, type of motherboard, type of OS configuration, even the godamn eletricity.
If you're not satisfied with the first two suggestions, or have already tried them, then you'll have to dive in deep into a hodgepodge of lies, truths, and sometimes both, you seem to have experienced this a bit yes?

You can try and go on fr33thy's channel, he's currently debunking various different OS configurations and peripherals, he might do hardware later on.
If you can't wait, don't want to wait, or just have a bunch of money, you can either get yourself a high speed camera (at least 480fps, but 1000fps is best), or get one of those LDAT tools nvidia recently made (I think there's some off brand stuff though) and use that to basically try all the different hardware configurations and settings you can until you find the best ones.
There is also that 360hz monitor that has an input lag sensor built in, but I heard it's not that great to use if you want to do proper tests (large batches), if you're fine with quick and dirty tests then it should be fine though.

RocketRager

Post by RocketRager » 05 Apr 2021, 15:52

deama wrote:
04 Apr 2021, 21:16
Best way is get higher hz, generally soft cap seems to be around 240-360hz, after that point you'll get small improvements.

Other than that, make sure you're running in fullscreen exclusive and that it is indeed running in fullscreen exclusive to disable the dwm (at 120hz that should give you about +8ms or so), and that's about it when it comes to the easy stuff.

The rest of it can very from what type of CPU you have, type of GPU, type of RAM, type of motherboard, type of OS configuration, even the godamn eletricity.
If you're not satisfied with the first two suggestions, or have already tried them, then you'll have to dive in deep into a hodgepodge of lies, truths, and sometimes both, you seem to have experienced this a bit yes?

You can try and go on fr33thy's channel, he's currently debunking various different OS configurations and peripherals, he might do hardware later on.
If you can't wait, don't want to wait, or just have a bunch of money, you can either get yourself a high speed camera (at least 480fps, but 1000fps is best), or get one of those LDAT tools nvidia recently made (I think there's some off brand stuff though) and use that to basically try all the different hardware configurations and settings you can until you find the best ones.
There is also that 360hz monitor that has an input lag sensor built in, but I heard it's not that great to use if you want to do proper tests (large batches), if you're fine with quick and dirty tests then it should be fine though.

Holy shit it took a miracle for me to find this site. My google search terms for rocket league has to be real specific for me to get here! I’m so happy.

I’m in a similar boat as OP. I have a 144hz VA panel (AOC). I know they aren’t very good after reading a few threads here. But if it’s just a GTG thing and not an Hz thing then maybe I don’t care?

My problem is that I always feel slightly behind everyone in game. I can’t rank up even with so many hours of practice. It’s like I’m in a different time reality than them.

Would 240hz be the answer I’m looking for or am I a fool?

Ryzen 2600, rtx 2070, dualsense controller oc’d to 1k Hz

I can provide more info if needed. Should I just start a new thread?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Apr 2021, 17:24

RocketRager wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 15:52
I’m in a similar boat as OP. I have a 144hz VA panel (AOC). I know they aren’t very good after reading a few threads here. But if it’s just a GTG thing and not an Hz thing then maybe I don’t care?
Slow GtG = can be more input lag.

Lower Hz = can be more input lag
RocketRager wrote:
My problem is that I always feel slightly behind everyone in game. I can’t rank up even with so many hours of practice. It’s like I’m in a different time reality than them.

Not a fool.

100fps at 240Hz = LESS LAG than 100fps at 144Hz

The same frame rate at higher Hz, generally has a lower lag (assuming same GtG and same processing lag), because of faster global refreshing of individual frames. Global lag tests (first-anywhere lag tests) borne this out, unlike single-photodiode input lag testers, so you will generally have a better competitive advantage at a higher Hz, even if your frame rate does not keep up.

That's because even a 100fps frame can refresh quicker on the screen in 1/240sec. Not all pixels refresh at the same time -- high speed videos at www.blurbusters.com/scanout

If you like the VA look, then I highly recommend the modern 2020+ era "1ms"-GtG "Fast IPS" panels -- Switching from VA to IPS will be easier on the eyes than VA to TN, if you've fallen in love with VA colors.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

victor910

Post by victor910 » 05 Apr 2021, 19:48

first make a question to yourself, why old cinema provide 24 FPS only and we were completely happy and going deep in the movie?
today we have 10000000fps and still, feeling picture is fake and no life inside, completely unsmooth. why?? ;)

RocketRager

Post by RocketRager » 05 Apr 2021, 20:44

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 17:24
RocketRager wrote:
Slow GtG = can be more input lag.

Lower Hz = can be more input lag
RocketRager wrote:

Not a fool.

100fps at 240Hz = LESS LAG than 100fps at 144Hz

The same frame rate at higher Hz, generally has a lower lag (assuming same GtG and same processing lag), because of faster global refreshing of individual frames. Global lag tests (first-anywhere lag tests) borne this out, unlike single-photodiode input lag testers, so you will generally have a better competitive advantage at a higher Hz, even if your frame rate does not keep up.

That's because even a 100fps frame can refresh quicker on the screen in 1/240sec. Not all pixels refresh at the same time -- high speed videos at www.blurbusters.com/scanout

If you like the VA look, then I highly recommend the modern 2020+ era "1ms"-GtG "Fast IPS" panels -- Switching from VA to IPS will be easier on the eyes than VA to TN, if you've fallen in love with VA colors.

Double holy shit it’s the man himself? I didn’t even know who I was talking to when I posted. But after reading a few threads here I learned who the chief was!

This site is wild. What a resource. Suddenly I’m reading about EMI and people using chemicals to ground their electricity and other electrical life hacks wtf?????

I hope something as simple as a monitor upgrade can fix my problems. Not sure I’m about to have my house rewired.....

RocketRager

Post by RocketRager » 05 Apr 2021, 21:39

victor910 wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 19:48
first make a question to yourself, why old cinema provide 24 FPS only and we were completely happy and going deep in the movie?
today we have 10000000fps and still, feeling picture is fake and no life inside, completely unsmooth. why?? ;)
My pictures are smooth enough to me ;)

But I want to be faster. Does smooth picture make my car go faster in game? If yes, then I want more smooth hahah.

victor910

Post by victor910 » 06 Apr 2021, 04:18

you wanna be faster or your PC must be faster?

RocketRager

Post by RocketRager » 06 Apr 2021, 09:53

victor910 wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 04:18
you wanna be faster or your PC must be faster?
I want to be faster. My controller is dialed in, I like the way my settings feel. I know “what to do in game” and what positions I should be. I’ve watched hundreds of hours of gameplay from pros and streamers. I see what they do.

I’m simply not arriving at the ball a split second before the enemy. I need to be milliseconds faster. I feel like I’m not seeing information at the same pace that other people see it. They can arrive at the ball a microsecond before me. When that happens regularly, you will not rank up. And may go on huge losing streaks.

It feels like I’m in a different dimension than them sometimes.

deama

Post by deama » 06 Apr 2021, 10:21

RocketRager wrote:

Holy shit it took a miracle for me to find this site. My google search terms for rocket league has to be real specific for me to get here! I’m so happy.

Ryzen 2600, rtx 2070, dualsense controller oc’d to 1k Hz

I can provide more info if needed. Should I just start a new thread?
Do you play the game in borderless mode or fullscreen exclusive? And if at fullscreen exclusive, are you sure it's fullscreen exclusive?
You can check by trying to alt-tab, it should be instantaneous in borderless mode, but should feel weird, sluggish and might take even a second if you try alt-tab in fullscreen exclusive, some games even force the game into borderless until you either manually switch it back in options, or alt-tab back into the game.