Some Question about USB and TIMERS

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Slender

Re: Some Question about USB and TIMERS

Post by Slender » 06 May 2021, 21:21

empleat wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 08:19
You can check my guide
In your guide, I found a very interesting thing about SmoothMouseCurve, in any cases it gives me different feelings from the mouse, I can't say that I get less lag when using the 0-value, but I can definitely say that it affects mouse movements, regardless of disabled windows acceleration. How do you know that there should be a zero-leght value and not the default or markC 1: 1? All I found about the zero value is a person's post on some forum in 2008. Nothing more.

empleat

Post by empleat » 07 May 2021, 17:40

Slender wrote:
06 May 2021, 21:21
empleat wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 08:19
You can check my guide
In your guide, I found a very interesting thing about SmoothMouseCurve, in any cases it gives me different feelings from the mouse, I can't say that I get less lag when using the 0-value, but I can definitely say that it affects mouse movements, regardless of disabled windows acceleration. How do you know that there should be a zero-leght value and not the default or markC 1: 1? All I found about the zero value is a person's post on some forum in 2008. Nothing more.
Because I know it is mouse smoothing (apparent from name) which causes input lag! And because disabling this decreases input lag and makes mouse movement more natural and 1:1! E.g. Logitech drivers have this under ungle snapping: it makes your mouse do perfect horizontal straight lines, but breaks 1:1 mouse ratio!!! As smoothing causes uneven mouse ratio - ratio other than 1:1! I.e. sensitivity for X:Y axes will be fucked e.g. x = 1.06, y = 0.99! Meaning: your mouse will not move always same distance on monitor as distance it traveled in real life (DPI). Since there used to be only 400DPI mice, so people were forced to set sensitivity in-game, which is achieved by interpolation aka construction of new data by software in order to increase sensitivity. Which causes pixel skipping and jitter, since you can't move a mouse to 1.6 of a pixel! There is nothing between pixels... And sub-pixels don't count, since mouse cursor doesn't move through sub-pixels! Ergo mouse smoothing was introduced to counter these negative effects (you can see this mostly in old games, but even today and when you turn on smoothing in-game mouse movement will turn to shit!). But today we have high DPI mice, so there is no need to set DPI in-game, nor should you!!! DPI in-game should always = 1.00 (unfortunately every game has this on different value :? ) so there is no interpolation and no pixel skipping! Note markC is meant only for old games, which call acceleration from windows and there is no way to turn it off in-game! It is on markC official site! So someone who knows how these curves are calculated made markC, which allows you to disable mouse acceleration in very old games! That's it... So for 1:1 mouse ratio and less input lag, in registry both axes should have zero-length binary value! It can take some time to get used to, but you get 1:1 mouse movement and no smoothing, which is also acceleration (because it changes amount of pixels mouse moves and you don't get exact movement from mouse) and you don't have 1:1 X:Y ratio...

ELK

Post by ELK » 12 May 2021, 06:39

There is a glitch where windows will put the mouse's keyboard drivers above the keyboard drivers causing issues for the mouse.

https://www.overclock.net/threads/how-t ... t-28522852

The is a huge thread on timers and when/how they are used and it is best to just leave the settings default and hpet on in bios. I however have never seen any proper input lag testing on this.

I had an msi x99 krait gaming sli motherboard. The top 2 black ports were usb 3.0 and the 2 blue ones below them were 2.0. So NO the top 2 ports are not always the best. You better check.

It's been awhile since i messed with xhci handoff. One setting is let the motherboard do it. The other setting is let the OS do it. What "it" is I forgot. I assume handoff enabled would be the motherboard handing it off to the OS, but I'm only 90% sure.

empleat

Post by empleat » 20 May 2021, 15:14

ELK wrote:
12 May 2021, 06:39
There is a glitch where windows will put the mouse's keyboard drivers above the keyboard drivers causing issues for the mouse.

The is a huge thread on timers and when/how they are used and it is best to just leave the settings default and hpet on in bios. I however have never seen any proper input lag testing on this.

I had an msi x99 krait gaming sli motherboard. The top 2 black ports were usb 3.0 and the 2 blue ones below them were 2.0. So NO the top 2 ports are not always the best. You better check.

It's been awhile since i messed with xhci handoff. One setting is let the motherboard do it. The other setting is let the OS do it. What "it" is I forgot. I assume handoff enabled would be the motherboard handing it off to the OS, but I'm only 90% sure.
Yep I know about this, I can't solve that glitch! I tried solution didn't work! Either mouse entries are all in middle, or they are alternating with keyboard, like k,m,k,m when k is keyboard and m mouse...

Yeah I Am not forcing anything in windows, except I disable dynamictick! Some users said forcing it helps tho, you can test your timer using timerbench, as sometimes you can find better timer for your system! But generally: best is to let Windows/app to decide on its own! I have weird mouse feel when I force anything!

I Am mean top USB 2.0 ports, they are usually top so that's why. Ofc. if top will be USB 3, then they are not USB 2 are they :lol:

Unreazz

Post by Unreazz » 26 May 2021, 07:05

empleat wrote:
20 May 2021, 15:14
ELK wrote:

Yep I know about this, I can't solve that glitch! I tried solution didn't work! Either mouse entries are all in middle, or they are alternating with keyboard, like k,m,k,m when k is keyboard and m mouse...

Yeah I Am not forcing anything in windows, except I disable dynamictick! Some users said forcing it helps tho, you can test your timer using timerbench, as sometimes you can find better timer for your system! But generally: best is to let Windows/app to decide on its own! I have weird mouse feel when I force anything!

I Am mean top USB 2.0 ports, they are usually top so that's why. Ofc. if top will be USB 3, then they are not USB 2 are they :lol:
USB:
- disable USB3 in BIOS, if you can live without it!!! It causes huge lag!

Is this really true ?

empleat

Post by empleat » 26 May 2021, 20:13

Unreazz wrote:
26 May 2021, 07:05
USB:

Is this really true ?
Yeah supposedly USB works like higher throughput = higher latency. USB 3 just feels like garbage on 2 computers, I couldn't kill bot on it. Most people use USB 2 ports for keyboard and mouse! Problem is there are only USB 3 drivers, which are also part of the problem (even if you disable USB 3 in bios)!

Noirpirate85

Post by Noirpirate85 » 30 Jan 2024, 15:08

empleat wrote:
26 May 2021, 20:13
Unreazz wrote:
26 May 2021, 07:05
USB:

Is this really true ?
Yeah supposedly USB works like higher throughput = higher latency. USB 3 just feels like garbage on 2 computers, I couldn't kill bot on it. Most people use USB 2 ports for keyboard and mouse! Problem is there are only USB 3 drivers, which are also part of the problem (even if you disable USB 3 in bios)!

is this still an issue toaday or has it become worse ? and how can i make the most advantag of my mouse and keyboard on systems like win 10 and 11

Mr1991

Post by Mr1991 » 31 Jan 2024, 09:56

empleat wrote:
20 May 2021, 15:14
ELK wrote:

You can fake it by renaming the keyboard or mouse keyboard drivers so they are ordered differently, then reinstalling, I think this is the same