Silly question about the desk keyboard tray

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Dorhelinho

Silly question about the desk keyboard tray

Post by Dorhelinho » 07 Apr 2021, 01:41

So I know this will sound stupid but I will ask anyway.
Do you know the desk types that have the keyboard tray right beneath the desk? Can you envision any scenario in which the side metal supports of the tray keyboard / mouse support would cause some issues in games? I mean the mouse wire runs basically between 2 metallic tracks and further 2 metallic support of the tray.

The thing is that I am trying to play Rocket League with a controller (a game where precise controller inputs are required) and to my shock I think I notice the game behaves different the moment I move away with the controller from above the mouse tray. Same with moving the mouse away from the tray (I don't use the mouse in the game but for some reason it's location seems to have an impact)

So I thought about it, are there any general PC setup dos and don'ts regarding having metallic parts near the pc. Never have I contended this question but there it is I just asked it, didn't find this discussed anywhere else. Using an optical mouse and an wired XBONE controller

RocketRager

Re: Silly question about the desk keyboard tray

Post by RocketRager » 07 Apr 2021, 17:17

You are entering a world of pain. I chased controller problems since sept. Only NOW am I feeling comfortable.

Played the game casually 2+ years. Goofing around with friends. I built a lot of bad habits. Decided to take it seriously in sept. Took a long time to break the habits. Still breaking them. From the moment I had my first replay analyzed I went in search for solutions to consistency. My controller never felt the same with each game boot up.

Fast forward until now. Dualsense, overclocked, heavily customized profile in DS4 windows. I go back and forth between wired and Bluetooth. If you are familiar with Rocket Science YT channel you’ll know the advantages of each method. It’s hard for me to decide. I can go on decent win streaks with both TBH.

That’s what’s got me here searching for monitors. My PC could play the game at 400+ FPS, but I’m only seeing 144. If other people are seeing 240+, how can I be sure I’m having the same experience they are. Answer: I can’t. New monitor is in the mail this morning.

To answer your specific question, of course I don’t know. There’s a ton of info on this site Regarding EMI and other electrical phenomena.

Try moving your PC for a few days, or get a new desk with no tray. Or just rip those bars off lol.

Dorhelinho

Re: Silly question about the desk keyboard tray

Post by Dorhelinho » 08 Apr 2021, 02:05

Well I am in the same situation as you regarding game consistency. Sometimes it just works and I play 4 hours let's say and I don't have a single bad game. Rest of the time there is no point in even playing

I was actually trying different monitor profiles and settings at that time when I moved the mouse out of the way from the tray to the desk and it seemed different right away weird enough and knowing that the you cannot disable the mouse in the game in theory it's still doing something, polling and whatnot etc etc

I thought about asking if metal can interfere with signal transition before doing some potential useless work (the bars are actually mounted in the desk, it's not enough to just remove the sliding tray because I have the metal holding the tray)

Thinking to ask in an electrician forum or something, maybe it can sometimes behaves as an antenna I mean it's 4 long metal bars, I have no idea I am clueless about these things