Electricity input lag fix !

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
alexander1986

Re: Electricity input lag fix !

Post by alexander1986 » 19 Apr 2021, 20:11

guys, * warning * for LONG post with a lot of pictures and info coming, but I think is very relevant.. anyway.

I have registered account on MSI support center and also registered my motherboard (MSI z390-a PRO) serial number and created support ticket with info about my EMI problem, the symptoms, how I have confirmed it is electrical problem by taking my hardware to my friends place in other area of town where it works perfectly etc, and have requested that they escalate / forward my ticket to the "BIOS experts" they have to if possible, send me some beta / unofficial BIOS based on the latest version that has this RFI/PCIE Spread spectrum options unlocked,

I included links to this forum and this post and some more info in the support ticket I created and waiting answer on that, I did not include the pictures and specific info I am about to post below yet but will do that if they say they can not help me with this issue and do not want to send me some beta/unofficial bios file with this modifications / unlocked options..

also for the record I just flashed my MSI z390-A pro bios with latest official version from MSI homepage (7B98v1D) from 2021-02-08) flash process went fine but still no spread spectrum option available or unlocked for users,

so anyway, I tried to analyze the latest BIOS file for my motherboard (filename is E7B98IMS.1D0) with tools like AMIBCP (version 5.02.0031) but got this error message:

it seems like MSI is using non-standard format for their BIOS files, it seems standard BIOS files are usually *.bin or *.rom or *.cap , etc, but MSI seem to use some non-standard or custom format?

for example latest BIOS file for Z390-A pro is *.1D0 and not *.cap or *.rom or *.bin , etc..

so then I tried other tools after some googling,

with the program "UEFI Bios Editor" I did manage to open MSI Bios file without any error message , but first had to select "All Files *.*" instead of default file format when opening file, and it looks something like this in this program:

so then I tried to find some entries in the bios file that seem to be related to this spread spectrum stuff, was looking for both "RFI Spread Spectrum" and "PCIE Spread Spectrum" like @yonaxsangi mentioned in his first post in this thread that was the hidden options he enabled on his BIOS, and after some searching I found this stuff:

bingo ! it seems to be true that 1.5% is the default value , and also seems to be true that 6% is maximum value and minimum value is 0.5% if im not mistaken here,

am not sure but I think this RFI spread spectrum is enabled by default on this motherboard, because for example when I look at my BCLK in HWINFO in windows its never 100.0 stable but varies a little, 99.9-100.1 etc, this is my theory anyway, but it would be really nice to have this option unlocked and be able to test all these settings from 0.5% to 6% for some days/weeks to test if it will help me and if it will be consistent, etc...

also, it seems it is not just RFI Spread Spectrum 0.5 % to 6% that is all you can change, there are things here also like "RFI Domain" "RFI Nominal Frequency" "RFI Frequency Adjustment" "RFI Frequency Prefix" "RFI Current Frequency" and "RFI Frequency"

some of these options have values you can change like the 0.5% to 6% on RFI Spread spectrum, and some mhz/khz values on "RFI Frequency Prefix" and "RFI Frequency" , the rest of the options seem to have no values you can change, I don't 100% understand all this but just analyzing so far..

then I tried to look for more RFI spread spectrum stuff and/or "PCIE spread spectrum" like @yonaxsangi was mentioning on his gigabyte aorus bios, after some more searching I found the PCIE spread spectrum thing in my bios file:

seems this option is enabled by default? because if I understand correct, this hidden option will allow user to disable it for EMI compliance testing, so to me then it seems this is enabled by default? anyway would be good to have option unlocked to be able to test difference off vs on etc.. same as RFI spread spectrum..

after some more searching I found HPET hidden setting (!) no idea if enabled or disabled by default, but it is hidden option that I can not access when I go to BIOS myself, but its there in the BIOS file:

(But this doesn't really matter I think, you can enable/disable it from windows anyway and also default windows installation works fine as is, if I enable HPET from windows I lose like 80% of performance and insane stuttering anyway, maybe is just problem with HPET ON on this particular motherboard, but still is not big issue here, because those days/times when my EMI problems are not so bad, it works and feels really really good with default timer settings anyway so.. but would still be nice if this could be unlocked for testing purposes)

found another interesting feature, "Legacy Low IO latency" (?)

no idea what this is , but would also be very interesting to test anyway, if there is possibility of it lowering input latency :p

some more interesting stuff with spread spectrum/BCLK stuff:

this option however I don't think is really connected to RFI/EMI, but maybe it is, just showing it here for example and reference..

also BTW all this I just showed examples of was from the "Tree" section of the UEFI Bios Editor, there is also "Text" section, basically this section is what holds the info/help text that shows when you press "help" on an option in the bios, to get some description of what the option is used for and how it can be configured, here is example of the "Text" section regarding the RFI settings:

and since the text won't fit in the window here I copy paste the whole text that I can find:

"
#string STR_0x070F #language en-US "RFI Settings"
#string STR_0x0710 #language en-US "RFI Domain"
#string STR_0x0711 #language en-US "RFI Nominal Frequency"
#string STR_0x0712 #language en-US "RFI Nominal Frequency"
#string STR_0x0713 #language en-US ""
#string STR_0x0714 #language en-US "RFI Frequency Adjustment"
#string STR_0x0715 #language en-US ""
#string STR_0x0716 #language en-US "RFI Frequency Prefix"
#string STR_0x0717 #language en-US "<+> prefix will move OPVR Center Frequency higher than nominal, 139.5MHz. <-> prefix will move OPVR Center Frequency lower than nominal, 139.5MHz."
#string STR_0x0718 #language en-US "RFI Spread Spectrum"
#string STR_0x0719 #language en-US "Adjustment for OPVR RFI Spread Spectrum to mitigate EMI risk. Spread spectrum values are defined as center spread and total spread %. Default is 1.5%. Additional OPVR EMI reduction can be achieved by increasing RFI Spread Spectrum % value. The use of spread Spectrum % value larger than 1.5% may introduce Wi-Fi RFI. Check Wi-Fi (2.4GHz-2.5GH) RFI condition."
#string STR_0x071A #language en-US "0.5%"
#string STR_0x071B #language en-US "1%"
#string STR_0x071C #language en-US "1.5%"
#string STR_0x071D #language en-US "2%"
#string STR_0x071E #language en-US "3%"
#string STR_0x071F #language en-US "4%"
#string STR_0x0720 #language en-US "5%"
#string STR_0x0721 #language en-US "6%"
#string STR_0x0722 #language en-US "RFI Current Frequency"
#string STR_0x0723 #language en-US "RFI Current Frequency"
#string STR_0x0724 #language en-US "RFI Frequency"
#string STR_0x0725 #language en-US "Set desired RFI frequency, in increments of 100KHz. (For a frequency of 100.6MHz, enter 1006.)"
"

some interesting stuff there that if you go above 1.5% Spread spectrum value there may be issues with Wi-Fi, but I don't care about that since I use ethernet here at home anyway, but maybe still good info!

here is the text/help info for "PCIE Spread spectrum" thing, not much interesting here just short description:

nothing interesting there..

and here is text/help info for hidden HPET option, not much interesting here either again just short description:

here is maybe or maybe not interesting help/text info for hidden system timer option, seems default is ACPI and legacy timer disabled, would be interesting maybe to be able to test legacy timer for performance/responsiveness purposes?:

and here some more again maybe or maybe not interesting info about hidden timer and BCLK/ spread spectrum option stuff:

I copy/paste the text here since it does not fit in the window:

"#string STR_0x1A72 #language en-US "Intel ICC"
#string STR_0x1A73 #language en-US "ICC/OC Watchdog Timer"
#string STR_0x1A74 #language en-US "When enabled, the ICC/OC watchdog timer is exposed to OS as an ACPI device. WDT HW is always used by BIOS when clock settings are changed."
#string STR_0x1A75 #language en-US "ICC Profile"
#string STR_0x1A76 #language en-US "Select clock profile that corresponds to the platform configuration. Profiles are defined by the OEM and platform capabilites. Tpically, profile 0 has failsafe settings. Other profiles correspond to WiMax, 3G, or Overclocking settings."
#string STR_0x1A77 #language en-US "ICC PLL Shutdown"
#string STR_0x1A78 #language en-US "This option controls the programming of the ICC PLL shutdown flow. When enabled, this ICC PM register will be programmed on every non-Sx boot."
#string STR_0x1A79 #language en-US "BCLK Clock Settings"
#string STR_0x1A7A #language en-US " Default Clock Settings"
#string STR_0x1A7B #language en-US "100.00MHz 0.50% Downspread"
#string STR_0x1A7C #language en-US " Frequency Range Limits"
#string STR_0x1A7D #language en-US "uninitialized MHz"
#string STR_0x1A7E #language en-US " Maximum Spread %"
#string STR_0x1A7F #language en-US "uninitialized %"
#string STR_0x1A80 #language en-US " Spread Mode Adjustments"
#string STR_0x1A81 #language en-US "Uninitialized"
#string STR_0x1A82 #language en-US " Clock Frequency"
#string STR_0x1A83 #language en-US "Frequency in 10kHz increments. Specifies new BCLK frequency to be applied. Frequency is rounded to nearest valid value. Allowed range is limited by the Max/Min supported frequencies. Changes are not applied until settings are saved and platform resets. Example: For 125.70MHz, enter 12570."
#string STR_0x1A84 #language en-US " Spread %"
#string STR_0x1A85 #language en-US "Specifies the amount of spread spectrum clocking to be applied to the base clock frequency in 0.01% increments. Allowed range is limited by Maximum Spread % and supported Spread mode Adjustements. If Changes Allowed, a value between 0 and Max Spread % can be specified. Value is adjusted to settings supported by HW. If only Halt Allowed, only 0% and default spread % can be specified. Changes are not applied until settings are saved and platform resets."
#string STR_0x1A86 #language en-US " Bclk Change Permanent"
#string STR_0x1A87 #language en-US "Changes how the BCLK frequency changes are applied permanent with warm reset. 0 - Disabled. 1 - Enabled."
#string STR_0x1A88 #language en-US " Bclk Change w/o Reset"
#string STR_0x1A89 #language en-US "Changes how the BCLK frequency changes are applied. 0 - Realtime. 1 - Permanent, without warm reset. NOTE: Realtime changes will be applied when 'F4' hotkey is pressed. Uses MEI SET_CLOCK_SETTINGS command 0x1B."
#string STR_0x1A8A #language en-US "Permanent, no warm reset"
#string STR_0x1A8B #language en-US "Real Time change"
#string STR_0x1A8C #language en-US "Change Allowed"
#string STR_0x1A8D #language en-US "None Allowed""

anyway this is all I could find, there are MANY MANY options here in the bios file that is hidden from the user, perhaps a lot of these are not hidden on higher end / more expensive MSI motherboards? some settings like WiFi settings are of course hidden on non-WiFi variants of motherboard etc, but IMO things like RFI Spread Spectrum and all its sub-options + PCIE Spread Spectrum and also HPET option should be available for user to experiment with, in cases where there is EMI problems and also for performance/benchmarking in regards to HPET option etc etc...

but for sure the RFI + PCIE spread spectrum stuff is the most interesting here for us users that have EMI problems...

like I said in start of post I have registered account on MSI support center and also registered my motherboard serial number and created support ticket with info about my EMI problem, the symptoms, how I have confirmed it is electrical problem by taking my hardware to my friends place in other area of town where it works perfectly etc, and have requested that they escalate / forward my ticket to the "BIOS experts" they have to if possible, send me some beta / unofficial BIOS based on the latest version that has this RFI/PCIE Spread spectrum options unlocked,

so users in my situation with this motherboard could test different settings and try to at least improve the situation... I am not optimistic they will do it, if they say no I will try to update the ticket with this info and screenshots in this post and try again so they can see exactly what hidden options I am talking about, if they still will not agree and send me some beta / patched bios file with this options unlocked, then I will try to somehow do it myself,

my plan was to somehow compare settings that I can see and change in my bios, to the hidden settings that I can not change, and try to see where the flag for "hidden/not hidden" is, and if I can change the flag to not hidden on all these interesting settings and then build a new bios file and then do some testing, worst case I will kill my motherboard but at this point after 3 years of this EMI problem and completely killed dreams of any consistent competitive play I am willing to try anything... but obviously best option would be to get some bios expert from MSI to fix this for me so I dont have to experiment with some risky stuff...

sorry for the long post but this is some REALLY interesting stuff for me and has me again a little bit optimistic to at least be able to improve situation before I can move to new apartment in ~1 year or so...

PS. If MSI will not want to help me and send modified bios file with these options unlocked, I am willing to even pay money for someone here to do it , but at same time I do not want to kill my motherboard if I can avoid it, maybe Chief would be willing to unlock these RFI spread spectrum+PCIE spread spectrum+HPET options ?

I am sure you would be able to do it since you are like master guru of hardware and tech :p but also understand if you would not want to but I can say I am 100% aware that it is on my own responsibility and risk and you would not be liable for any damage of course, I am just desperate to try and fix this problem or at least improve the situation to be better, until I move to new place in future... thoughts on this? (quoting you here chief just so you see it)
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 18:46

*just quoting you so you can see this and to ask if you would be willing to try your hand later on to modify the bios files for my z390-a pro motherboard, just in case MSI will not agree to send me modified bios file *

kind regards , /Alex

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Apr 2021, 22:42

alexander1986 wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 20:11
guys, * warning * for LONG post with a lot of pictures and info coming, but I think is very relevant.. anyway.
Thanks for the long post! I like to see test data.
alexander1986 wrote:
PS. If MSI will not want to help me and send modified bios file with these options unlocked, I am willing to even pay money for someone here to do it , but at same time I do not want to kill my motherboard if I can avoid it, maybe Chief would be willing to unlock these RFI spread spectrum+PCIE spread spectrum+HPET options ?
I am flattered you would ask: I am more of the guru of monitor motherboards (the stuff inside your monitor) rather than PC motherboards.

However, there are quite a few motherboard hackers in these forums, though they may more quickly notice a subject title "Need Firmware Hack for [MOTHERBOARD MODEL] to enable spread spectrum to resist EMI better" or such. If you wish, I could split your post into its new fresh thread, to get the thread-title highlight. On the other hand, reusing a popular thread (as long as ontopic) can stay visible longer. Pros/cons... Perhaps wait a week or two before PM-ing me to ask for a thread split. (Note: PM'ing admins/mods is only for forum support)

You could link to this post from some certain areas of Discord (HalfwayDead's Rocket Science as an example) as well as high-skill friends of Blur Busters such as Guru3D who's collaborated with Blur Busters on certain things (such as improving RTSS), though knowledge about genuine EMI issues varies between different forums. I welcome further collaboration in this area. Your permalink is as follows:

Code: Select all

https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8532&p=66436#p66430
However, I welcome others to take upon your offer [be safe about it though, check cred/reputation/etc]

P.S. To make it easier for others to read the text in your imges, I modified the UBB coding in your post to make your images clickable/zoomable. with technique:

Code: Select all

[url=address][img]address[/img][/url]
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

pox02

Post by pox02 » 19 Apr 2021, 23:59

@alexander1986

try this

https://easyupload.io/phvfou

run export.bat
If all things correct, it should export to a txt file with all BIOS settings. Just change the * to what you want the new value to be.
Supports everything hidden (and visible)
Import.bat flashes the txt again
Reboot, and check if it worked
monitors xg258q aw2518hf 27GK750F-B pg248q xg240r lg w2363d-pf xb270hu XL2546 XL2546K NXG252R

willyKS

Post by willyKS » 20 Apr 2021, 01:52

yonaxsangi wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 01:08
hello brother in the first picture put RFI spread spectrum to 6% from 1.5%.
in the second picture put the spread to 255. if u want i can enable for u all the spread spectrum for the maximum just send me your bios ill edit for you. i have z390 pro mobo and disabling hpet drops the fps about 40-50 fps so i think in z390 motherboards its not working well.
Hey man added you, could you edit my bios for me to enable spectrum?

yonaxsangi

Post by yonaxsangi » 20 Apr 2021, 04:41

blackmagic wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 04:16
@alexander1986

you can open the bios with AMIBCP patched one that is for z390...

https://disk.yandex.com/d/vJAIK82mvATlZg

just rename the bios then to mybios.rom and you rdy to go and edit what is possible to edit.
but here im stuck and dont go further...

i better wait for @yonaxsangi before doing something by myself...

i just hope it is possible to edit our bioses. msi is not rly nice to us and hides so many stuff...
already saw msi forums where users complain about that all...

and yes hpet seems to be already enabled by default on our boards, bios.

https://i.imgur.com/2o5CQ8u.png
yes u can edit the bios with amibcp patched theres many hidden good features out there. luckily i have gigabyte z390 board so flashing after was very ez because of EFIFLASH.mod 80 its a modded efiflash especially for gigabyte motherboard to update the edited bios without errors. i can edit any bios but i dont know how to flash after like MSI, Asrock,Asus etc. so if u want i can edit your bios enable disable whatever settings u want and try to update if u lucky it will without errors but if it give u errors u need usb flash rufus to make it dos and find something like efiflash( for gigabyte) for your specific motherboard. sorry for my bad english

hardhit

Post by hardhit » 20 Apr 2021, 05:07

alexander1986 wrote:

kind regards , /Alex
Apologies if mentioning another website is against the rules, however as this could be beneficial for obtaining any additional information about the bios settings I would suggest asking in win-raid community, to be exact "request a bios modding" section. Uppon request, they have modded my msi b450m bazooka max wifi bios twice, first time to expose HPET switch and second to update bios modules such as realtek and others etc.

They modify your bios so it easy to flash as a regular bios

Provide your motherboard name, the link to bios file, bios file name and what you want to be modified. From my experience I got the modifed file as soon as 2hours from my request

https://www.win-raid.com/f54-BIOS-Modding-Requests.html

yonaxsangi

Post by yonaxsangi » 20 Apr 2021, 07:41

willyKS wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 01:52
yonaxsangi wrote:
in the second picture put the spread to 255. if u want i can enable for u all the spread spectrum for the maximum just send me your bios ill edit for you. i have z390 pro mobo and disabling hpet drops the fps about 40-50 fps so i think in z390 motherboards its not working well.
yes i can bro just send me the bios i will edit for you

willyKS

Post by willyKS » 20 Apr 2021, 09:37

yonaxsangi wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 07:41
willyKS wrote:
yonaxsangi wrote:
Where do I send you?

willyKS

Post by willyKS » 20 Apr 2021, 09:39

yonaxsangi wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 07:41
willyKS wrote:
yonaxsangi wrote:
Hey man where do I send you the bios?

BTRY B 529th FA BN

Post by BTRY B 529th FA BN » 20 Apr 2021, 09:47

Hi guys, where do I download the bios editor?

Also can EMI issues still be present even if you have a properly grounded outlet? i know my house is old and there are no proper grounding wires except for a few places e.g. the dryer but the rest of the house is 2 wire. I did do a dirty ground with a wire routed from the outlet to a copper water line but that's not the best way to do it.

Thanks