Win32PrioritySeparation

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
empleat

Re: Win32PrioritySeparation

Post by empleat » 23 May 2023, 11:24

holiday wrote:
23 May 2023, 10:23
I did not test it but if it’s true it’s crazy.

You have to tweak this days everything to get an good mouse input. I never had any problems in old windows but I must agree since win7 something happened with the mouse input in a worse way

edit: This feels really faster and directer on my mouse. The default Win32PrioritySeparation was 2 on my system, changed to 28 (40 decimal) makes a noticeable difference.
yeah it is awful, not to mention motherboard is lottery, BIOS features affect input lag more than DPC latency, but it depends on your hardware what also you will see, so it is impossible to know ahead + what timers it uses is pretty important and you should check drivers etc. which are source of DPC latency and bad mouse will, so what devices it has on-board... Then same you get either fucked by drivers, or bad game optimizations... Tho for competitive gaming, you need smooth consistent mouse without input lag, that's whats tweaks are for mostly... Recommend also disable fullscreen optimizations for DX11 games, you need google registry tweak yet so it works (you can verify it that you don't have pop out window in-game when you try change sound using your keyboard), on DX12, Vulkan is MPO overlay...

holiday

Post by holiday » 23 May 2023, 12:36

Honestly that’s a lot work for me and I doubt that any pro do this. They just play 1 game and get used to with all the problems it has.

This thing with the mouse input gets worser with every new windows.

Sebichek45

Post by Sebichek45 » 25 May 2023, 11:08

empleat wrote:
23 May 2023, 11:24
holiday wrote:
23 May 2023, 10:23
I did not test it but if it’s true it’s crazy.

You have to tweak this days everything to get an good mouse input. I never had any problems in old windows but I must agree since win7 something happened with the mouse input in a worse way

edit: This feels really faster and directer on my mouse. The default Win32PrioritySeparation was 2 on my system, changed to 28 (40 decimal) makes a noticeable difference.
yeah it is awful, not to mention motherboard is lottery, BIOS features affect input lag more than DPC latency, but it depends on your hardware what also you will see, so it is impossible to know ahead + what timers it uses is pretty important and you should check drivers etc. which are source of DPC latency and bad mouse will, so what devices it has on-board... Then same you get either fucked by drivers, or bad game optimizations... Tho for competitive gaming, you need smooth consistent mouse without input lag, that's whats tweaks are for mostly... Recommend also disable fullscreen optimizations for DX11 games, you need google registry tweak yet so it works (you can verify it that you don't have pop out window in-game when you try change sound using your keyboard), on DX12, Vulkan is MPO overlay...

Do you still recommend checking the disable fso in game properties? The registry tweak for disabling fso globally does not work for every game.. also will you update your guide any time soon? No pressure just want to know since I think the last update was in 2021.

empleat

Post by empleat » 26 May 2023, 17:51

Sebichek45 wrote:
25 May 2023, 11:08
Do you still recommend checking the disable fso in game properties? The registry tweak for disabling fso globally does not work for every game.. also will you update your guide any time soon? No pressure just want to know since I think the last update was in 2021.
Disable Fullscreen Optimizations checkbox in compatibility tab works only until Directx11! You can test by trying to change your sound on keyboard and have to have enabled HID service for that! Doesn't work on Directx12 and Vulkan, but if you switch to windowed mode there is turned on MPO (which works only for NVIDIA cards AFAIK) h[url]ttps://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/qffxcz ... _can_play/[/url].

MPO is not win either:
1. G-Sync is buggy in windowed mode (messes up programs, causes flicker etc.)

Fix: I was recently recommended this, if you use windowed mode and have RTX card, MPO overlay is activated (it can sometimes cause stuttering):https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/y ... fixed_all/ Or use Fullscreen simply!

Oh sorry, i was doing that just from boredom, since I couldn't do anything 6 years basically most of the time just watching a wall, lately I Am trying to tweak my health only. I had idea to make program which would calculate all permutations of nutrients to achieve perfect RDA< but nutrigenetics is still in its infancy... I got so ahead of myself, this is nightmare to me, I never could do even 0.01% of my ideas - society slows me down so much and got demented basically to 70iq... I have severe chronic pain 7 years... Couldn't do anything whole day but stare into a well last 6 years basically... What i could was same to me as if i did, i am most bored person in the world legit... Only like multitasking saved me from death of boredom.

If you read it: I hope you get general ideas what to improve and there are so many other tweakers, or threads to follow, that's how i get ideas from 1 thing i see 20 others things and so on... If you are curious and mess around you will find interesting stuff too, it is just important to test it and that takes a lot of time, before making additional changes and know what you are doing so you don't mess your fps, or something in system, which will be hard to find later on...

Not to forget, wait did you really read every thread and guide from my guide: there is so much! But I recalled, one guy contacted me, doing tweaks for low input lag, here is github: https://github.com/auraside/HoneCtrl. E.g. I found from them: you can turn off completely power saving on GPU and force it to run in P0 state meaning max frequency constantly (so not frequency switching), but I wouldn't recommend it, someone also said, running fan on 80%+ RPM helped! Undervolting and overclocking is good ofc. but can a be pain, it is sometimes reverted and I don't think 968mv is not enough, (i will try more but it is annoying only +75mhz should be stable, my PSU is COrsair RM650 2018 so), while last time i tried only like 1995mhz from 1920 being default on my 3070 and I have Corsair RM650 2018. It is kinda annoying to find stable frequency, this is not even 100mhz, not sure what is issue since no overheating! And got garbage silicon lottery my 9600KF is not stable even on just 4800mhz on 1.35v :( it can do max 4700, but i could use extra boost in RE4, there is just now way because i can't up voltage more, because my Dark Rock Slim be quiet with Kryonaut thermal paste can't handle it (it is already maxed its TDP) aaaaaaaaaaaa... That game looks so fucking amazing!!! :evil: Should be able to run at least +100 if not more thanks to undervolt, not sure why it resets in Afterburner sometimes, but this software can be buggy! Also there are DLSS mods for different games, but can be very blurred, because they can't exclude UI from upscaling which is something devs have to do with cooperating with NVIDIA just warning!

I created this post recently: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12049&p=94092#p94092

If you are hardcore you could have 2 computers, if you have one old e.g. And put on one custom windows 10 made for gaming has only dx11, but there were more versions! And use CSM legacy boot instead UEFI and secure boot!

For hardware, buy best CPU for lowest latency and overclock it that it will be crazy :D Get like 7000mhz ram or what they do these days and try to find one with which you can get lowest latency (RAM latency affects mouse feel quite a lot), not max frequency and throughput! Don't use NVME etc. only 1 SSD of all disks etc. to minimize DPC. You could like try more motherboards, or like return gaming pc before 14 day period, which would be really annoying. Since BIOS features and stuff on specific motherboard determine the input lag most! DPC has lower impact: you can tell mostly on mouse consistency down to 50us and that was on 1000hz mice yet... That is if you play competitively, otherwise this would be too crazy! But otherwise it is impossible to get responsive experience today... Also NVClean install is great, to declutter drivers! For input lag today decent hardware would be what i would look at and clean system and disable, declutter everything you can and use various testing tools to benchmark everything! Also not sure gaming on Linux, probably bad idea... Yeah clean system with clean boot, disabling services, task scheduler, system drivers, tweaking benchmarking various things! Disabling in firewall everything except your game to minimize interrupts, not installing any programs, finding best windows version. There is also resizable bar on 9xxx doesn't work on all mobos can be brought up by BIOS updates if mobo manufacturer were kind enough, has to show in NVCP/system information as yes next to resizable bar, also even with no try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPhU0avLJmk. Have feeling it helped me in RE4 (great game must try) from like 70-80 fps previously some time outside in rain and next i booted game in same place i had 100, though i was reaching 100 before sometimes so i am not sure... I would install clean custom windows made for gaming without internet, make system backup immediately and make it often in case of performance degradation, disable all features, apps everything, select cpu affinity of all processes and put them to cores you don't use: process lasso adds tiny lag still... Interrupt affinity and unchecking core 0 bad idea BTW, worsens mouse feel, even it might help with input lag! Also spreading interrupts is bad, as CPU are fast enough and games except them to be handled on CORE 0 I think, i tested it thoroughly (and for disks can destroy them don't do it!!
), maybe for some devices only it could be worth it... Also testing MSI on/off for different devices alone(wouldn't do it for root, or PCI-e controller tho - ask on 3dguru)! Installing sound drives can increase input lag especially with problematic nahimic service, you should be able to delete it with RAPR driver store explorer without deleting drivers! Because not installing sound drivers can cause stutters and performance issues... All new architecture and features helps, not sure what is better Intel or AMD these days, but AMD is better investment, Windows just doesn't support it well and could be problem in these custom windows versions which are less secure, not sure if they even receive updates, I think they do, but yeah... Disable all you can in device manager also... Google every BIOS feature, learn every timing I guess :D Get mobo with best VRM and use manual CPU voltage to stabilize it and BCLK tweaks (BCLK tweaking is safe under 101) to get closest to round number and try multiple monitoring software but don't rely on it, get AIDA 64 extreme, learn everything melodytweaks are also great from my guide and you can contact her! Get lowest input lag monitor, best GPU there is :D research everything! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: EMI issues (clone Nicola Tesla), fix your cables, make sure you have clean power, otherwise you have to use better extension cable or use UPS! Buy certified Display Port cables only, test different cables different modes, every permutation! Get input lag test (if it sells in your location, don't know any from head)which can capture down to 1ms, you don't need 1000fps camera necessarily! Don't know if you can render audio through second PC, like send it through dedicated card, which itself can generate DPC so you can disable on-board audio cause huge lag... Kidnap engineer so they check every table on motherboard for you and in HW addresses :D IF i had some i would task them to find color profile for lowest input lag, force games run in lower number of color mode, recode windows so it doesn't uses DWM, if you close explorer it improves lag a lot, but causes weird mouse movement. Get rid of edge and hardcoded components to windows, remove all telemetry, clean kernel, everything, must be optimized to best permutation possible of quarks :D Electrons need to be in perfect position, get light conductors (contact Einstein through white hole to overcome speed of light), change laws of physics :D Delete whole windows... Use chatgpt for tweak ideas... Make friend in Mensa using cute kittens and make them research input lag for you 24/7 :D Pray to superintelligence from future to fix your lag :D

Also there is some old garbage in my tweak folder, could be something useful tiny bit: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

I saved ramen rider's or rather it was some other tweak Chaos something, but careful some are super advanced and should not be used: unless you know what you are doing: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Also when you not playing don't forget to revert to max power savings: you have to save power save power save power every 0.01w, disable USB ports you don't need xD Imagine if everyone on planet did that xD - funny to think about!

Not to mention from this thread, 40 priority separation = most responsiveness, and can even boost fps! But I don't like mouse feel of that, use 38 currently!

Sebichek45

Post by Sebichek45 » 28 May 2023, 11:18

empleat wrote:
26 May 2023, 17:51
Sebichek45 wrote:
Disable Fullscreen Optimizations checkbox in compatibility tab works only until Directx11! You can test by trying to change your sound on keyboard and have to have enabled HID service for that! Doesn't work on Directx12 and Vulkan, but if you switch to windowed mode there is turned on MPO (which works only for NVIDIA cards AFAIK) h[url]ttps://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/qffxcz ... _can_play/[/url].

MPO is not win either:

Fix: I was recently recommended this, if you use windowed mode and have RTX card, MPO overlay is activated (it can sometimes cause stuttering):https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/y ... fixed_all/ Or use Fullscreen simply!

Oh sorry, i was doing that just from boredom, since I couldn't do anything 6 years basically most of the time just watching a wall, lately I Am trying to tweak my health only. I had idea to make program which would calculate all permutations of nutrients to achieve perfect RDA< but nutrigenetics is still in its infancy... I got so ahead of myself, this is nightmare to me, I never could do even 0.01% of my ideas - society slows me down so much and got demented basically to 70iq... I have severe chronic pain 7 years... Couldn't do anything whole day but stare into a well last 6 years basically... What i could was same to me as if i did, i am most bored person in the world legit... Only like multitasking saved me from death of boredom.

If you read it: I hope you get general ideas what to improve and there are so many other tweakers, or threads to follow, that's how i get ideas from 1 thing i see 20 others things and so on... If you are curious and mess around you will find interesting stuff too, it is just important to test it and that takes a lot of time, before making additional changes and know what you are doing so you don't mess your fps, or something in system, which will be hard to find later on...

Not to forget, wait did you really read every thread and guide from my guide: there is so much! But I recalled, one guy contacted me, doing tweaks for low input lag, here is github: https://github.com/auraside/HoneCtrl. E.g. I found from them: you can turn off completely power saving on GPU and force it to run in P0 state meaning max frequency constantly (so not frequency switching), but I wouldn't recommend it, someone also said, running fan on 80%+ RPM helped! Undervolting and overclocking is good ofc. but can a be pain, it is sometimes reverted and I don't think 968mv is not enough, (i will try more but it is annoying only +75mhz should be stable, my PSU is COrsair RM650 2018 so), while last time i tried only like 1995mhz from 1920 being default on my 3070 and I have Corsair RM650 2018. It is kinda annoying to find stable frequency, this is not even 100mhz, not sure what is issue since no overheating! And got garbage silicon lottery my 9600KF is not stable even on just 4800mhz on 1.35v :( it can do max 4700, but i could use extra boost in RE4, there is just now way because i can't up voltage more, because my Dark Rock Slim be quiet with Kryonaut thermal paste can't handle it (it is already maxed its TDP) aaaaaaaaaaaa... That game looks so fucking amazing!!! :evil: Should be able to run at least +100 if not more thanks to undervolt, not sure why it resets in Afterburner sometimes, but this software can be buggy! Also there are DLSS mods for different games, but can be very blurred, because they can't exclude UI from upscaling which is something devs have to do with cooperating with NVIDIA just warning!

If you are hardcore you could have 2 computers, if you have one old e.g. And put on one custom windows 10 made for gaming has only dx11, but there were more versions! And use CSM legacy boot instead UEFI and secure boot!

For hardware, buy best CPU for lowest latency and overclock it that it will be crazy :D Get like 7000mhz ram or what they do these days and try to find one with which you can get lowest latency (RAM latency affects mouse feel quite a lot), not max frequency and throughput! Don't use NVME etc. only 1 SSD of all disks etc. to minimize DPC. You could like try more motherboards, or like return gaming pc before 14 day period, which would be really annoying. Since BIOS features and stuff on specific motherboard determine the input lag most! DPC has lower impact: you can tell mostly on mouse consistency down to 50us and that was on 1000hz mice yet... That is if you play competitively, otherwise this would be too crazy! But otherwise it is impossible to get responsive experience today... Also NVClean install is great, to declutter drivers! For input lag today decent hardware would be what i would look at and clean system and disable, declutter everything you can and use various testing tools to benchmark everything! Also not sure gaming on Linux, probably bad idea... Yeah clean system with clean boot, disabling services, task scheduler, system drivers, tweaking benchmarking various things! Disabling in firewall everything except your game to minimize interrupts, not installing any programs, finding best windows version. There is also resizable bar on 9xxx doesn't work on all mobos can be brought up by BIOS updates if mobo manufacturer were kind enough, has to show in NVCP/system information as yes next to resizable bar, also even with no try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPhU0avLJmk. Have feeling it helped me in RE4 (great game must try) from like 70-80 fps previously some time outside in rain and next i booted game in same place i had 100, though i was reaching 100 before sometimes so i am not sure... I would install clean custom windows made for gaming without internet, make system backup immediately and make it often in case of performance degradation, disable all features, apps everything, select cpu affinity of all processes and put them to cores you don't use: process lasso adds tiny lag still... Interrupt affinity and unchecking core 0 bad idea BTW, worsens mouse feel, even it might help with input lag! Also spreading interrupts is bad, as CPU are fast enough and games except them to be handled on CORE 0 I think, i tested it thoroughly (and for disks can destroy them don't do it!!
), maybe for some devices only it could be worth it... Also testing MSI on/off for different devices alone(wouldn't do it for root, or PCI-e controller tho - ask on 3dguru)! Installing sound drives can increase input lag especially with problematic nahimic service, you should be able to delete it with RAPR driver store explorer without deleting drivers! Because not installing sound drivers can cause stutters and performance issues... All new architecture and features helps, not sure what is better Intel or AMD these days, but AMD is better investment, Windows just doesn't support it well and could be problem in these custom windows versions which are less secure, not sure if they even receive updates, I think they do, but yeah... Disable all you can in device manager also... Google every BIOS feature, learn every timing I guess :D Get mobo with best VRM and use manual CPU voltage to stabilize it and BCLK tweaks (BCLK tweaking is safe under 101) to get closest to round number and try multiple monitoring software but don't rely on it, get AIDA 64 extreme, learn everything melodytweaks are also great from my guide and you can contact her! Get lowest input lag monitor, best GPU there is :D research everything! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: EMI issues (clone Nicola Tesla), fix your cables, make sure you have clean power, otherwise you have to use better extension cable or use UPS! Buy certified Display Port cables only, test different cables different modes, every permutation! Get input lag test (if it sells in your location, don't know any from head)which can capture down to 1ms, you don't need 1000fps camera necessarily! Don't know if you can render audio through second PC, like send it through dedicated card, which itself can generate DPC so you can disable on-board audio cause huge lag... Kidnap engineer so they check every table on motherboard for you and in HW addresses :D IF i had some i would task them to find color profile for lowest input lag, force games run in lower number of color mode, recode windows so it doesn't uses DWM, if you close explorer it improves lag a lot, but causes weird mouse movement. Get rid of edge and hardcoded components to windows, remove all telemetry, clean kernel, everything, must be optimized to best permutation possible of quarks :D Electrons need to be in perfect position, get light conductors (contact Einstein through white hole to overcome speed of light), change laws of physics :D Delete whole windows... Use chatgpt for tweak ideas... Make friend in Mensa using cute kittens and make them research input lag for you 24/7 :D Pray to superintelligence from future to fix your lag :D

Also there is some old garbage in my tweak folder, could be something useful tiny bit: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

I saved ramen rider's or rather it was some other tweak Chaos something, but careful some are super advanced and should not be used: unless you know what you are doing: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Also when you not playing don't forget to revert to max power savings: you have to save power save power save power every 0.01w, disable USB ports you don't need xD Imagine if everyone on planet did that xD - funny to think about!

Not to mention from this thread, 40 priority separation = most responsiveness, and can even boost fps! But I don't like mouse feel of that, use 38 currently!
empleat wrote:
26 May 2023, 17:51
Sebichek45 wrote:

MPO is not win either:

Thank you for your reply! I hope you are doing well and healthy. Did you also try messing with your bcdedit tweaks? Also if I understand your post you mean to say:

1. Disable fso for dx11 games in properties compatibility.
2. Use csm legacy boot instead of uefi (what does this change?)
3. Do not uncheck core 0 anymore for games and don’t put cpu affinities per game. (Isnt the benefit of using interrupt affinities to lessen load on core 0?). Could do for other things and use processlasso but adds lag.
3. How about msi mode? Should everything be put to msi mode? How to determine interrupt priority?
4. What can be disabled safely in device manager? Other than what calypto has in his guide? Does amd and intel systems have different things you need to disable?
5. What should be done with Dwm? Is temporarily closing explorer enough?

lenin228

Post by lenin228 » 29 Jun 2023, 11:52

if there are bluestax users on this forum, then I advise you to put 1A or leave 2, all other values improve smoothness but greatly worsen the response.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Jun 2023, 00:44

holiday wrote:
23 May 2023, 12:36
Honestly that’s a lot work for me and I doubt that any pro do this. They just play 1 game and get used to with all the problems it has.

There's an alternative approach too -- well-reviewed and acclaimed optimization packages.

Some competitive players are noticing the FGCOS package, which preinstalls a lot of the optimizations automatically.

It's wholly possible that FGCOS includes Win32PrioritySeparation tweak.

RetroRGB talks about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsSBwtVONB8
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ptuga

Post by ptuga » 08 Jul 2023, 05:06

This is one of the few tweaks that people do that make a difference. In my experience if you have a week cpu you want short quantum with high foreground priority.
On the other hand if you have a good cpu, long quantum + high foreground is just better.
Last edited by ptuga on 10 Jul 2023, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.

Sebichek45

Post by Sebichek45 » 09 Jul 2023, 10:13

ptuga wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 05:06
This is one of the few tweaks that people do that make a difference. In my experience if you have a week cpu you want short quantum with high foreground priority.
On the other hand if you have a good high end cpu, short quantum + high foreground is just better.

so the same?

Coldplayer

Post by Coldplayer » 09 Jul 2023, 22:20

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 00:44
holiday wrote:
23 May 2023, 12:36

There's an alternative approach too -- well-reviewed and acclaimed optimization packages.

Some competitive players are noticing the FGCOS package, which preinstalls a lot of the optimizations automatically.

It's wholly possible that FGCOS includes Win32PrioritySeparation tweak.

RetroRGB talks about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsSBwtVONB8
Do you know any which are public and out yet? Can't see FGCOS being available. There's a honectrl one I've seen.