Using USB network adapter?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
deama

Using USB network adapter?

Post by deama » 19 Apr 2021, 19:17

So I'm wondering, has anyone tried experimenting with USB network adapters vs the onboard stuff? Like buy something like this:
USB Network Adapter Syncwire USB 3.0 to RJ45
And then use that instead of a LAN cable?

My reasoning behind this is it would reduce the EMI affecting the LAN chip on the motherboard further, especially if you shielded the usb adapter, so in theory it would be more stable?
Or what if you get a PCIe to USB, get a pcie network card and slot it into the PCIe to USB, then put it in a plastic housing surrounded by EMI shielding, and use that?

Basically the idea here is the same principle as with a DAC, I have a DAC and it sounds better (and is getting rid of a slight static sound), so why not apply a similar idea to the network?

empleat

Re: Using USB network adapter?

Post by empleat » 20 Apr 2021, 03:41

deama wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 19:17
So I'm wondering, has anyone tried experimenting with USB network adapters vs the onboard stuff? Like buy something like this:
USB Network Adapter Syncwire USB 3.0 to RJ45
And then use that instead of a LAN cable?

My reasoning behind this is it would reduce the EMI affecting the LAN chip on the motherboard further, especially if you shielded the usb adapter, so in theory it would be more stable?
Or what if you get a PCIe to USB, get a pcie network card and slot it into the PCIe to USB, then put it in a plastic housing surrounded by EMI shielding, and use that?

Basically the idea here is the same principle as with a DAC, I have a DAC and it sounds better (and is getting rid of a slight static sound), so why not apply a similar idea to the network?
Probably a bad idea, USB devices in general cause a lot of DPC latency! E.g. sound cards, network adapters! Same as PCI-E cards in general! Best is integrated Intel nic on mobo!