Planning to try a new isp (any suggestions?)

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Mugabi

Planning to try a new isp (any suggestions?)

Post by Mugabi » 30 Apr 2021, 22:44

So i live in auckland new Zealand, im currently using Vodafone isp, using their ultrafast fiber connection plan, the issues of lag delay In csgo is really really big, making me want to quit csgo but i would like to try 2-3 different isps before doing that. I want to know what type of isp i should go for, what are the things the isp needs to have before i try it and how can i know these things (are these info available in the isp's website) ?

deama

Re: Planning to try a new isp (any suggestions?)

Post by deama » 01 May 2021, 11:39

Mugabi wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 22:44
So i live in auckland new Zealand, im currently using Vodafone isp, using their ultrafast fiber connection plan, the issues of lag delay In csgo is really really big, making me want to quit csgo but i would like to try 2-3 different isps before doing that. I want to know what type of isp i should go for, what are the things the isp needs to have before i try it and how can i know these things (are these info available in the isp's website) ?
I've been with virgin media for about half a year now and it's quite good, low ping, high speeds, and even bufferbloat is really low.
I'm from UK, so donno about new zealand.

Here's the link if you want to measure your speed and bufferbloat (pick gigabit/fiber):
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

My previous bufferbloat was normally a C, sometimes would go down to a D. My previous ISP was EE.

You can also limit your speed to 100Mb, this would be really good to do if you regularly get over 100+Mb, as higher speeds will be more susceptible to interference, and it will improve your overall network stability because you'll get less spikes, e.g. if normally you get 150Mb, but sometimes it likes to spike to 110Mb, you'll feel it when playing games, but if you cap it to 100Mb, the spike won't happen, or if it does, it won't be nearly as bad.
I've capped mine to 100Mb, but it depends on you I suppose, do you really need more than 100Mb+ speed? I was fine back when I had 30Mb, I think sweet spot is 50Mb for me, but I can't cap it lower than 100Mb lol.

Mugabi

Post by Mugabi » 01 May 2021, 14:21

deama wrote:
01 May 2021, 11:39
Mugabi wrote:
I've been with virgin media for about half a year now and it's quite good, low ping, high speeds, and even bufferbloat is really low.

Here's the link if you want to measure your speed and bufferbloat (pick gigabit/fiber):

My previous bufferbloat was normally a C, sometimes would go down to a D. My previous ISP was EE.

You can also limit your speed to 100Mb, this would be really good to do if you regularly get over 100+Mb, as higher speeds will be more susceptible to interference, and it will improve your overall network stability because you'll get less spikes, e.g. if normally you get 150Mb, but sometimes it likes to spike to 110Mb, you'll feel it when playing games, but if you cap it to 100Mb, the spike won't happen, or if it does, it won't be nearly as bad.
I've capped mine to 100Mb, but it depends on you I suppose, do you really need more than 100Mb+ speed? I was fine back when I had 30Mb, I think sweet spot is 50Mb for me, but I can't cap it lower than 100Mb lol.
Thanks alot for your response, i will try to run this test on my current isp and see how it goes. I have tried other websites and all returned good numbers so im not sure whether they are a good way to really know if an isp good or bad. In the router of your internet plan, do you have any settings or things added in the broadband internet link?

deama

Post by deama » 01 May 2021, 14:28

Mugabi wrote:
01 May 2021, 14:21
deama wrote:
Mugabi wrote:

Thanks alot for your response, i will try to run this test on my current isp and see how it goes. I have tried other websites and all returned good numbers so im not sure whether they are a good way to really know if an isp good or bad. In the router of your internet plan, do you have any settings or things added in the broadband internet link?
I experimented a while ago with different router settings but most didn't really do much. There was that packet size value that I reduced, which in theory supposed to reduce latency a bit but make your top speed worse, after doing tests it didn't improve latency, but it did make bufferbloat slightly better (I think I went from D to D+).
There's also QAAS or QOS, I forgot the name, it's the one where it allows you to set a specific device as a priority, so if you're in a family, and everyone is watching netflix but you're playing games, you'd be in higher priority, so you should get less problems with spikes.
And obviously there's limiting your speed if you don't need higher speeds is good I think too.

Mugabi

Post by Mugabi » 01 May 2021, 14:32

deama wrote:
01 May 2021, 14:28
Mugabi wrote:
01 May 2021, 14:21
deama wrote:
Mugabi wrote:

I experimented a while ago with different router settings but most didn't really do much. There was that packet size value that I reduced, which in theory supposed to reduce latency a bit but make your top speed worse, after doing tests it didn't improve latency, but it did make bufferbloat slightly better (I think I went from D to D+).
There's also QAAS or QOS, I forgot the name, it's the one where it allows you to set a specific device as a priority, so if you're in a family, and everyone is watching netflix but you're playing games, you'd be in higher priority, so you should get less problems with spikes.
And obviously there's limiting your speed if you don't need higher speeds is good I think too.
Thanks alot man. Looks like i will try to test few isp first then stick to one.