Strange input lag behavior

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Wayzer

Strange input lag behavior

Post by Wayzer » 12 May 2021, 19:25

Hey guys. So I already had 1 topic before with this issue, but recently I discovered some strange input lag behavior in my case.
I have input lag on my both keyboard and mouse like for 3 years now.

The thing is, recently I discovered that when Im replugging my monitor power cable from outlet (or just from my monitor) - I have no input lag on my keyboard and mouse like for 10-15 seconds, everything becomes very responsive, I feel everything how I SHOULD feel. And then, after 10-15 seconds input lag returns, and my strafes becoming sluggish/heavy and the same goes for mouse. I feel like i'm in slow-mo or something.
This strange behavior I described already in my previous post, BUT... recently, I discovered the same behavior when i'm just not touching keyboard/mouse like for 1 minute, then when i'm starting to move my mouse, or strafing - everything is fine for 10-15 seconds (like with replugging monitor power cable). And then everything become slower after 10-15 secs, input lag returns.

What I tried:
Changing monitor power cables
Different outlets
PSU
Power conditioner
Surge protector
Changing keyboard
Different monitors (240hz,144hz)
Different PCs (I also bought a new one because of that problem:-))
Different houses
BIOS stuff, windows optimization etc.

My question is, what could be the problem? My electricity? Then why I have this strange behavior with this temporary "fixes"? Especially with not touching keyboard or mouse for 1 minute. This stuff is very unclear for me, like maybe I have some "statical" problem, or?
What should I try? Maybe I can do some tests or idk, because I can do this stuff CONSTANTLY every singe time.

Sparky

Re: Strange input lag behavior

Post by Sparky » 12 May 2021, 20:01

Use an in-game framerate cap.

Basically, imagine you have a bottleneck on the highway that can pass 1 car per second. If more cars than that try to use the highway, they back up and you get a traffic jam, where each individual car has to wait a lot longer for the cars in front of it to get out of the way. If fewer cars than that are using the highyway, there's no traffic jam and nobody has to wait. An in-game framerate cap is like preventing too many cars from getting on the highway.

Tin1017

Post by Tin1017 » 12 May 2021, 21:59

Im having the same issues but bare in mind that not touching ur mouse for a while will give u a “faster” feeling for a couple of seconds i guess?
I believe that you are having issues tho since im having the same problem myself.

f1ndus

Post by f1ndus » 13 May 2021, 04:11

hello when i played cs more seriouse and i was traveling with my SETUP on LAN BYOC tournaments, i had problem everywhere, one time i asked my manager if he can take his pc on tourment for me becouse i said i have problems with pc and i wanna full focus on clean game, i took only my monitor and i had problems with input lag and choppy gameplay too, so after that i think its mainy problem monitor what is creating input lag and everything around it, input lag - dynamic MS in monitor , blurry screen, choppy gameplay - HZ dynamic.

In this days i have monitor only on online UPS with battery mode, everytime when i go play i discharge energy from monitor by pushing start button for 30secs when is cable unplugged, after that i plug cable to monitor from UPS battery mode and everything is fine.

ELK

Post by ELK » 13 May 2021, 04:31

Try this:

https://www.overclock.net/threads/how-t ... t-28522852

I guess, from an extremely small test sample, that about 50% of windows installations mess up when installing the mouse and keyboard. It puts the mouse's keyboard driver ABOVE the keyboard driver causes issues with the mouse AND the keyboard

Wayzer

Post by Wayzer » 13 May 2021, 07:57

Sparky wrote:
12 May 2021, 20:01

Basically, imagine you have a bottleneck on the highway that can pass 1 car per second. If more cars than that try to use the highway, they back up and you get a traffic jam, where each individual car has to wait a lot longer for the cars in front of it to get out of the way. If fewer cars than that are using the highyway, there's no traffic jam and nobody has to wait. An in-game framerate cap is like preventing too many cars from getting on the highway.
Unfortunately, i'm already using an in-game framerate cap... Also, for some reason, when I'm capping my fps (for example, in apex legends I capped my fps on 120) mouse feels better, BUT... when my fps drops below this framerate - i'm experiencing heavy input lag, like my mouse feels 2x times slower. I asked my friends about this feeling, 'cause they capped fps as well, they said there's no input delay for them, even if they're fps drops to like 60-70 frames.

Wayzer

Post by Wayzer » 13 May 2021, 08:07

blackmagic wrote:
13 May 2021, 06:33

i had this many times but just cant explain this placebo to myself. its the most weird shit.

-when i leave my room for some minute and return back ...
-or when just dont touch my pc...
In my case that's not a placebo 10000%. I got this placebo thing like hundreds of times, but this time it's not a placebo, I can even test this. Especially with keyboard, it becomes obviously when after couple of seconds my strafes are becoming way too slow. Same with mouse
Tin1017 wrote:
12 May 2021, 21:59
Im having the same issues but bare in mind that not touching ur mouse for a while will give u a “faster” feeling for a couple of seconds i guess?
Yep, 100%. And how I said earlier, this is not a placebo for me.
ELK wrote:
13 May 2021, 04:31
I guess, from an extremely small test sample, that about 50% of windows installations mess up when installing the mouse and keyboard. It puts the mouse's keyboard driver ABOVE the keyboard driver causes issues with the mouse AND the keyboard
Gonna try this, thanks mate.
f1ndus wrote:
13 May 2021, 04:11
In this days i have monitor only on online UPS with battery mode, everytime when i go play i discharge energy from monitor by pushing start button for 30secs when is cable unplugged, after that i plug cable to monitor from UPS battery mode and everything is fine.
Well, I tried exactly what you said - no result :( But I agree that there's something messed up with monitor and electricity or something, idk.

ashrr

Post by ashrr » 13 May 2021, 08:16

Wayzer wrote:
13 May 2021, 07:57
Sparky wrote:
12 May 2021, 20:01

mouse feels better, BUT... when my fps drops below this framerate - i'm experiencing heavy input lag, like my mouse feels 2x times slower.
I'm guessing your fps is dropping below your capped framerate because you are GPU limited in those instances which is causing an increase in input lag. Either lower your settings in game or cap at a framerate where you never see 99% GPU usage.

Wayzer

Post by Wayzer » 14 May 2021, 09:15

ashrr wrote:
13 May 2021, 08:16

Either lower your settings in game or cap at a framerate where you never see 99% GPU usage.
What if I don't have 99% gpu usage... :(