useplatformtick and/or disabledynamictick on mouse input lag

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
MT_

Re: useplatformtick and/or disabledynamictick on mouse input lag

Post by MT_ » 04 Jun 2021, 07:24

MatrixQW wrote:
29 May 2021, 05:26
MT_ wrote:
28 May 2021, 09:53
As for windowed/fullscreen I'm pretty sure that's totally out of the scope of timerbench or this whole thread.
The scope of both is about timers.

In any case you should use fullscreen because windowed will probably give worse results.
I get lower 99th percentile with 640x480 fullscreen than windowed.
I was just pointing to test it like in a real case scenario for GPU bounded but if you want to see how system behaves without GPU at 99% then yes, reduce resolution.
Ah so far I've always used windowed, Ill give it a shot! :D
LTSC 21H2 Post-install Script
https://github.com/Marctraider/LiveScript-LTSC-21H2

System: MSI Z390 MEG Ace - 2080 Super (300W mod) - 9900K 5GHz Fixed Core (De-lid) - 32GB DDR3-3733-CL18 - Xonar Essence STX II

Mugabi

Post by Mugabi » 04 Jun 2021, 21:51

Someone give me conclusion of this thread, hpet should always be off?

slaver01

Post by slaver01 » 05 Jun 2021, 04:24

Mugabi wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 21:51
Someone give me conclusion of this thread, hpet should always be off?
Each pc gives different results. the best result for me:
Hpet enabled in the bios
bcdedit /set useplatformtick no
bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes
bcdedit /set useplatformclock no

nax_dv

Post by nax_dv » 06 Jun 2021, 20:05

MatrixQW wrote:
31 May 2021, 10:39
nax_dv wrote:
31 May 2021, 08:22
It seems like my issue is this, https://linustechtips.com/topic/50015-w ... ted-fixed/

Where I must enable useplatformclock (HPET) -- but by doing so, i get much lower framerates and way higher frame times.
That's a post from 2013. I would expect it to be fixed by now and the synthetic timer replaces RTC.
No, you should not use HPET.
yes i know i should not use hpet. im saying using hpet alleviates the timer sync issue.

i did some digging around and clock timer drift is very normal in modern cpus and hardware, and if your RTC isnt perfectly synced with acpi / qpc timer, it's okay. you will have to sync your windows time here and there with an ntp server ( check https://time.is/ ), but should have no actual impact on your game performance.

i still havent found any actual information with hard numbers and data backing up what is best or if it even has an actual impact on input lag for useplatformtick / disabledynamictick. i think thats something a microsoft engineer would need to clear up or someone with a very indepth understanding of how the windows 10 OS system works, and how these commands affect things at a hardware level.

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 16 Jun 2021, 13:16

nax_dv wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 20:05
i did some digging around and clock timer drift is very normal in modern cpus and hardware, and if your RTC isnt perfectly synced with acpi / qpc timer, it's okay ...but should have no actual impact on your game performance.
I can't be certain but I wouldn't be so sure.
If timers drift, means they aren't working as they should. Maybe the Base Clock isn't stable.
If a timer isn't perfectly synchronized with the cpu, that could cause issues in games and feel like lag or game feeling unresponsive like you just warped in time.
Some users don't have them synced just after a few minutes. I don't think that's normal.
After 3 hours and a half, mine all match while I was gaming and using discord voice. I've attached a screenshot below.
Whether it has a substantial impact or not, I have the peace of mind knowing I won't have issues.
nax_dv wrote:i still havent found any actual information with hard numbers and data backing up what is best or if it even has an actual impact on input lag for useplatformtick / disabledynamictick. i think thats something a microsoft engineer would need to clear up or someone with a very indepth understanding of how the windows 10 OS system works, and how these commands affect things at a hardware level.
I don't have that knowledge but I would say they don't have an impact on input lag and if there is it would be nanoseconds wich is the same as none for a user.
Disabledynamictick 'no', will have a bit of latency until the timer starts. After that it does nothing else.
Useplatformtick 'yes', I believe it's slower than the syntetic timer so you are probably better with it disabled.
After all, 0.9996 is faster than 1ms.
Attachments
timers3.jpg
timers3.jpg (16.17 KiB) Viewed 6979 times

slaver01

Post by slaver01 » 17 Jun 2021, 03:09

blackmagic wrote:
16 Jun 2021, 13:28
what about kernels and can they affect games and peformance ? can they get out of sync or getting slower/faster/bugged with timers ?

someone has here more deep knowledge on kernels and maybe can tell more ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_(operating_system)

how to test them and see if they work stable and normal without anomaly ?

someone of you tried to run and use debugger kernel ? i have not much idea on that all but if someone knows how that all works...would be nice to see results from this debugger and maybe we can see more deep details by doing that..

im just very interested in kernels here and want test these on stability and see how they behave and if everything fine with them during gaming...
Something here: https://github.com/djdallmann/GamingPCS ... /README.md

Alpha

Post by Alpha » 22 Jun 2021, 19:05

Wow, I locked in,
Timer.PNG
Timer.PNG (4.66 KiB) Viewed 6673 times
Do I just start testing variations? Going to start with a bios update.

forii

Post by forii » 23 Jun 2021, 17:40

If you are at 20H2 (Win 10) or latest do not touch any bcdedits command from Internet. These all stuff used to help in older Windows.

There is also no need to turn off fullscreen optimisations in specific game/aplication anymore.

No need to force even number like 0.50ms timer resolution, there is no difference between 1ms~ or 0.5ms~, there can be with 16ms vs 1ms but mine was this 0.997ms by default.

This is how it should look for you (cmd -> bcdedit)
I disabled HPET in device manager tho

If you wanna have better response time of your mouse/keyboard then doesnt use same usb sticks next to each other. Use different one for mouse and keyboard.

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 24 Jun 2021, 16:29

forii wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 17:40
No need to force even number like 0.50ms timer resolution, there is no difference between 1ms~ or 0.5ms~, there can be with 16ms vs 1ms but mine was this 0.997ms by default.
Windows default is 15,625ms.
It's not necessary to change the timer because games (and multimedia apps) will do it and set it to 1ms.
Between 0.5 and 1ms there is indeed no difference as you can see in the screenshots, just a 0,0µs on std.dev for the more demanding. :)
Attachments
timer-05ms.jpg
timer-05ms.jpg (68.74 KiB) Viewed 6729 times
timer-1ms.jpg
timer-1ms.jpg (68.54 KiB) Viewed 6729 times

forii

Post by forii » 09 Jan 2022, 15:52

MatrixQW wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 16:29
forii wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 17:40
Windows default is 15,625ms.
It's not necessary to change the timer because games (and multimedia apps) will do it and set it to 1ms.
Between 0.5 and 1ms there is indeed no difference as you can see in the screenshots, just a 0,0µs on std.dev for the more demanding. :)
i have by default on my system 0.997.