useplatformtick and/or disabledynamictick on mouse input lag

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
nax_dv

useplatformtick and/or disabledynamictick on mouse input lag

Post by nax_dv » 19 May 2021, 15:53

I've read dozens of threads that go many pages long that all have conflicting opinions to this day.

Some say useplatformtick and getting a flat 1.0 or 0.5ms for your windows resolution timer significantly helps the responsiveness and feel of your mouse.

Some say the opposite and that it only increases the input lag and interrupts on your system, and that these timers are used for "debugging" purposes only. I would think by 2021, there would be a definitive answer with concrete science and testing behind it. I was hoping battlenonsense would cover this topic, but i'm not quite sure if he will. I wish a Microsoft/Windows10/Game engineer would be able to clarify too what exactly these do and how it affects the system, the game you play, and your mouse.

Does anyone have happen to know the answer and provide it with concrete science while breaking it down so a layman can understand it?

Thanks!

Unreazz

Re: useplatformtick and/or disabledynamictick on mouse input lag

Post by Unreazz » 20 May 2021, 13:36

bcdedit /useplatformclock true make my whole system stutter, like literally stutter. My Explorer and everything slowed down and i have only 30 FPS in all games but some users made other expierences and told that is boosting there system so i think it depends on the current motherboard and cpu.

bcdedit /disablesynamicktick made no diffrences for me. The only time where i felt that i got a whole system boost was, when i deinstalled some Intel drivers from the systemtab.

This one https://pastebin.com/eKSpmVZ7

those are my current settings https://i.imgur.com/oYh7BPq.png

empleat

Post by empleat » 20 May 2021, 15:32

Unreazz wrote:
20 May 2021, 13:36
bcdedit /disablesynamicktick made no diffrences for me. The only time where i felt that i got a whole system boost was, when i deinstalled some Intel drivers from the systemtab.
Really you can't tell? This disables dynamic timer resolution, disabling this disables acceleration put simply. I don't use anything else than disabledynamictick. Forcing timers in windows cause weird mouse feel on 2 computers for me. Although some users said: it helped them. If your windows/app doesn't use best timer in your disposal for some reason. Download timerbench to benchmarks best timers for you!

Unreazz

Post by Unreazz » 20 May 2021, 15:43

empleat wrote:
20 May 2021, 15:32
Unreazz wrote:
Really you can't tell? This disables dynamic timer resolution, disabling this disables acceleration put simply. I don't use anything else than disabledynamictick. Forcing timers in windows cause weird mouse feel on 2 computers for me. Although some users said: it helped them. If your windows/app doesn't use best timer in your disposal for some reason. Download timerbench to benchmarks best timers for you!
i give it a try, thx !

nax_dv

Post by nax_dv » 20 May 2021, 21:56

can we get more of a quantitative answer backing up the claims? im not interested so much as how it "feels" to you because that's all subjective, and as i initially stated, there are dozens and dozens of thread all w/ conflicting opinions, but nothing to back that answer up. Isnt there more of a technical answer than "it feels better" or "it feels worse" and if so, how do we arrive at those numbers and answers?

MT_

Post by MT_ » 21 May 2021, 09:32

Best tip: Don't touch any of this, nor any HPET/ACPI BIOS setting.

Next up: Remove any bcdedit entries that exist on this topic. (Some software tends to add or change these bcd entries by themselves where they shouldn't. I'm even surprised that random software like AMD even has the privileges to do this by themselves although ... UAC)

Don't mess around with it as nothing good comes out of it. (Maybe 0.01% of the users have some weird combination of Windows build / Motherboard where some odd case can be fixed but for 99.99% of the people out there, just dont.)

This is also where most of the effect comes from, some extraneous bcd entry placed by faulty software and people try these tweaks and actually 'undo' the faulty behavior rather than changing Windows default behavior, giving them the impression that these options are magic while they just change a flag from true to false or vice versa.

If you have bad mouse movement or input lag I would check out other avenues because it is highly likely coming from another source or a combination of factors. Worst case update your BIOS and keep your Windows build up to date as I'm sure any edge case bug with timers will be dealt with accordingly.

If you really want a proper OS with minimal jitter/input latency and overhead, you should start using LTSC and remove/disable any optional/unnecessary elements from the OS to get it down to the bare minimum.
LTSC 21H2 Post-install Script
https://github.com/Marctraider/LiveScript-LTSC-21H2

System: MSI Z390 MEG Ace - 2080 Super (300W mod) - 9900K 5GHz Fixed Core (De-lid) - 32GB DDR3-3733-CL18 - Xonar Essence STX II

slaver01

Post by slaver01 » 22 May 2021, 02:16

empleat wrote:
20 May 2021, 15:32
Unreazz wrote:

What's the best?

MT_

Post by MT_ » 22 May 2021, 11:18

This :P
Attachments
1.png
1.png (22.81 KiB) Viewed 26475 times
LTSC 21H2 Post-install Script
https://github.com/Marctraider/LiveScript-LTSC-21H2

System: MSI Z390 MEG Ace - 2080 Super (300W mod) - 9900K 5GHz Fixed Core (De-lid) - 32GB DDR3-3733-CL18 - Xonar Essence STX II

pox02

Post by pox02 » 22 May 2021, 14:21

this one

monitors xg258q aw2518hf 27GK750F-B pg248q xg240r lg w2363d-pf xb270hu XL2546 XL2546K NXG252R

deama

Post by deama » 23 May 2021, 06:49

There was a video done by fr33thy about timers, could give that a go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG4g9XlKw5w