Nvidia Reflex and low latency mode

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
jorimt

Re: Nvidia Reflex and low latency mode

Post by jorimt » 23 May 2021, 20:54

GFresha wrote:
23 May 2021, 18:05
Is this normal? Am I supposed to see an FPS when I get either LLM or Reflex turned on?
There are exceptions, but usually, both the Reflex and LLM "Ultra" auto FPS limiters only occur when G-SYNC + NVCP V-SYNC (as opposed to G-SYNC + in-game V-SYNC) are engaged.

Reflex and LLM "Ultra" are never intended to auto limit the FPS outside of G-SYNC mode, FYI, as said auto limit is intended to keep the framerate within the G-SYNC range, which obviously doesn't apply to fixed refresh rate mode.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 24 May 2021, 07:22

jorimt wrote:
23 May 2021, 07:46
Render queue related settings such as LLM and Reflex (which aren't directly related to G-SYNC operation, by the way) only work to reduce input lag/frame delay in GPU-bound scenarios
If not GPU-bounded, render queue can't be 0 (I think) so it must be something.

There are two queues, one for DirectX and one for OpenGL.
Before LLM got implemented, pre-rendered frames setting would also change the value of the opengl variable.
Now I can only change it with Nvidia Inspector and it's called "maximum frames allowed". Only values 1 and 2 are allowed.
I know for sure that this changes the queue even if not GPU-bounded.
I set cl_maxfps 0, GPU at 45% usage, and on the same spot just standing I get 300fps less with queue at 1, meaning it's working.

Windows calls all interrupts on cpu 0, so to avoid fps variances I excluded cpu 0 from the game to get consistent results.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 24 May 2021, 08:04

MatrixQW wrote:
24 May 2021, 07:22
If not GPU-bounded, render queue can't be 0 (I think) so it must be something.
I didn't say the render queue was "0," or wasn't reduced with these settings in non-GPU-bound scenarios, I said they don't typically reduce actual frame delay further in said scenarios, as the render queue is not as filled (or sometimes not filled at all).

If the render queue is set to "1," it doesn't mean there is always 1 pre-rendered frame, it means there can now only be up to "1" pre-rendered frame created in advance at a time. Same goes for when it's set to 2, 3, etc...

And by the way, unlike LLM "On," which lowers the maximum render queue count, Reflex technically bypasses the render queue entirely by dynamically setting an FPS limit just under the current framerate to avoid max GPU usage, which, in turn, can prevent pre-rendered frames from queuing up in the first place.

If there is one or more pre-rendered frame in the queue, it means the CPU is creating new frame information in advance while waiting on the GPU to complete render of one or more frames based on now previous CPU-generated frame info, which is why render queue settings typically only help in scenarios where the GPU is maxed out to the point that its still busy working on rendering a frame or multiple frames based on older CPU-generated frame info.

Render queue "input lag," in this sense, is very similar to what happens with double buffer V-SYNC backpressure, just earlier in the process; the frames are displaying in sequence, but what is being displayed has been delayed, and thus isn't the reflecting the latest information.

The goal with any render queue reduction-related setting is to ensure that the CPU > GPU frame information handover is as close to 1:1 as possible, that is, the latest CPU frame info being handed over is what the next rendered GPU frame to be delivered is generated off of.

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

GFresha

Post by GFresha » 26 May 2021, 19:24

Hey jorimit weird question here

I was playing OW earlier and had enabled reflex to see my FPS dropped to 225 cap.

I am play on 240 hz monitor, I usually play by capping -3 FPS, so at 237 FPS, but I can't maintain this in fights so is it dumb for me to turn off Reflex and get the higher 237 FPS cap even though I know it will probably dip?

Also LLM on Ultra with Reflex OFF gave me same FPS cap at 225. LLM "On" with Reflex "Off" = no cap

Playing gsync and NVCP vsync.

One part of me says to turn off reflex for these shooter games like OW and Valorant that GPU usage never exceeds 70% so its useless to have reflex and another part says it doesn't hurt, sure 237 fps compared to 225 FPS is only 12 FPS different and at this high FPS its really dumb for me to even care about 12 FPS haha.

Another option for these non GPU bound games, I can leave LLM to "On" and in game cap to -3 FPS at 237 FPS

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 27 May 2021, 07:48

GFresha wrote:
26 May 2021, 19:24
I was playing OW earlier and had enabled reflex to see my FPS dropped to 225 cap.
That's because both Reflex and LLM "Ultra" auto limit the FPS to 225 at 240Hz with G-SYNC + NVCP V-SYNC.

As for why Nvidia sets the auto limit so low at higher refresh rates, only they know. See:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7522&p=67264#p67264
GFresha wrote:
I am play on 240 hz monitor, I usually play by capping -3 FPS, so at 237 FPS, but I can't maintain this in fights so is it dumb for me to turn off Reflex and get the higher 237 FPS cap even though I know it will probably dip?

[...]

One part of me says to turn off reflex for these shooter games like OW and Valorant that GPU usage never exceeds 70% so its useless to have reflex and another part says it doesn't hurt, sure 237 fps compared to 225 FPS is only 12 FPS different and at this high FPS its really dumb for me to even care about 12 FPS haha.
The difference between 225 and 237 FPS at 240Hz (a mere 0.2ms frametime difference, FYI) is virtually indistinguishable from an input lag and fluidity standpoint, so yes, if you're only disabling Reflex because you don't like the look of the number it sets when you're system is not GPU-bound, it would ironically contradict your goal of achieving the lowest possible input lag at all times.
GFresha wrote:
Another option for these non GPU bound games, I can leave LLM to "On" and in game cap to -3 FPS at 237 FPS
Yes, that's another option, but again, any time said games that support Reflex do become GPU-bound, you will have more input lag with Reflex off.

Regardless, your choice of settings is entirely up to you, so chose what makes you most comfortable; you're the one playing after all.

Glam

Post by Glam » 28 May 2021, 06:23

Hi! I'm playing CoD Black Ops Cold War. Fps jumps from 45 to 100 (at the heaviest-40-80 fps). AOC G2460 144Hz monitor (G-Sync). GPU and CPU load are often 100%. Please tell me the settings in the panel NVIDIA and CoD for comfortable gaming and lower latency. I play multiplayer.