So I got my hands on SMTT 2.0

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
WivernFX

So I got my hands on SMTT 2.0

Post by WivernFX » 27 May 2021, 14:21

As you can see in the title I somehow got my hands on the SMTT 2.0 by Thomas Thiemann.
Now I've wanted to try some serious input lag testing on new high-end monitors.

So I let my brand new Acer Predator X25 (360Hz FHD) go against my very old Asus VG248QE (144Hz FHD). What I've noticed is that it seems to be impossible to correctly read out the numbers on the X25 - Also according to my (probably false) measurements (around ~6-7ms) the X25 seems to get outperformed by the VG248QE. So I looked up what the guys from Rtings measured: a whopping 2.2ms - Nowhere near my result! Also I tested the X25 together with the FI27Q-X (240Hz QHD). Same result, the FI27Q-X was roughly 4-6ms faster than the X25.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is the SMTT 2.0 not capable of functioning correctly on 360Hz monitors? How is the guy from PCmonitors able to get results from such high refresh rate monitors?

I also wanted to know if I can run the SMTT 2.0 with my FI27Q-X instead of a CRT?

I really hope you guys can help me out - and sorry for my broken English, I'm from Germany. :)

deama

Re: So I got my hands on SMTT 2.0

Post by deama » 31 May 2021, 19:32

Keep in mind that input lag can be affected by clock speeds, memory frequencies, and general system stability (if there's a lot of error correction going on, then you'll either get worse input lag, or very jittery input lag). Even windows itself can affect different input lag measurements e.g with dwm on vs off or general bloat.
Keep in mind though that maybe the X25 you got is bad? It's possible but tbh I wouldn't say very probable, there's still a chance though.

davidoo

Re: So I got my hands on SMTT 2.0

Post by davidoo » 01 Jun 2021, 19:03

I'm not really sure of how SMTT 2.0 works

but maybe you can try messing with scaling options. Display vs gpu (no scaling)

That said, the result seems indeed wierd.