Every windows reinstall makes lag disappear in the first days

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Mugabi

Every windows reinstall makes lag disappear in the first days

Post by Mugabi » 01 Jun 2021, 09:41

I just noticed everytime i reinstall windows, csgo becomes extremely smooth and the game become much much smoother, this lasts for few days then the lag comes back again (only in online). What's the reason for this? Could it be that my router produces bad quality packets automatically after few days of registering my pc into it? Because everytime i reinstall windows and login to steam/other accounts, i get emails from these accounts website that new device/ip got accessed to it. I want to know what exactly resets/change after reinstalling windows?, this way when lag comes back, i can change it/reset it instead of reinstalling whole windows

slaver01

Re: Every windows reinstall makes lag disappear in the first days

Post by slaver01 » 01 Jun 2021, 11:24

You can try to do a restore point immediately after reinstallation or try installing a clean OS for the game like Revi Os.

Unreazz

Post by Unreazz » 01 Jun 2021, 11:42

Maybe Windows updated some drivers which cause those laggs. specially chipset drivers

n1zoo

Post by n1zoo » 01 Jun 2021, 12:22

I have same thing. After OS Reinstall Pc super smooth, next day It's crap again. No idea tbh what's causing it

Unreazz

Post by Unreazz » 01 Jun 2021, 13:24

n1zoo wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 12:22
I have same thing. After OS Reinstall Pc super smooth, next day It's crap again. No idea tbh what's causing it
Are you on Windows 10 Pro ?

n1zoo

Post by n1zoo » 01 Jun 2021, 13:56

Unreazz wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 13:24
n1zoo wrote:
I'm on ReviOS 1709 right now. But It's doesn't matter, because on win 7, 8 and 10 same issue. First day everything ok, than everything becomes super bad.

JDoe

Post by JDoe » 01 Jun 2021, 13:57

Easy fix. Make a partition backup right after installation. Restore it the next day. No lag each day.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Jun 2021, 15:25

Unreazz wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 11:42
Maybe Windows updated some drivers which cause those laggs. specially chipset drivers
I've seen this happen. It's a needle in a haystack even at Blur Busters Labs -- trying to track down what obscure driver suddenly screwed up my latency testing for a client of mine.

Truly, they should come up with a university course for this stuff! It would take a 500 page university textbook to troubleshoot all the causes, separating placebos from real lag. For every 10 to 100 wild geese and placebos, there's 1 real problem hiding -- sometimes a single setting in a single register in a single driver that totally wrecks timing. Literally.

Advanced logging of what drivers changed, what registry changes occured, etc. Doing this scientifically can consume a horrendous amount of time by a full time staff of 5 QA testers. If the "known fix" is not already published yet, then -- good luck, fellow single user. Ouch.

Yeah, as other users said .... You could do trial and error re-imaging your disk and tracking the cause. Sometimes rolling back your hard disk image is much easier than trying to debug the needle in a haystack. Crude, brute force blunt instrument, but it works. You can always store files such as Steam downloads on a different disk drive letter, and have Steam re-verify the games everytime you roll back your WIndows system to the last good low-lag image -- while avoiding redownloading your new Steam games.

But be very, very, very scared of security issues. Old versions of Windows has a knack of being hacked. Always update your image regularly if you plan to use the re-image technique. Reflash your image, do Windows update (with most of your external hardware unplugged so potentially lag-defective Plug-n-Play drivers don't reinstall), save the image, test the image to make sure Windows Update wasn't the source of the latency addition. Then replug your devices one device at a time. Do another WIndows update. See if latency goes to shit again, then you can begin blaming those auto-update drivers.

It's truly hair pulling. Even small businesses (like mine) are faced with the possibility of wasting money hiring overkill extra QA service to chase just one obscure driver manufacturer bug that screwed up a single hardware register, interrupt, timer, algorithm, or whatnot.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Mugabi

Post by Mugabi » 01 Jun 2021, 16:16

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 15:25
Unreazz wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 11:42
I've seen this happen. It's a needle in a haystack even at Blur Busters Labs -- trying to track down what obscure driver suddenly screwed up my latency testing for a client of mine.

Truly, they should come up with a university course for this stuff! It would take a 500 page university textbook to troubleshoot all the causes, separating placebos from real lag. For every 10 to 100 wild geese and placebos, there's 1 real problem hiding -- sometimes a single setting in a single register in a single driver that totally wrecks timing. Literally.

Advanced logging of what drivers changed, what registry changes occured, etc. Doing this scientifically can consume a horrendous amount of time by a full time staff of 5 QA testers. If the "known fix" is not already published yet, then -- good luck, fellow single user. Ouch.

Yeah, as other users said .... You could do trial and error re-imaging your disk and tracking the cause. Sometimes rolling back your hard disk image is much easier than trying to debug the needle in a haystack. Crude, brute force blunt instrument, but it works. You can always store files such as Steam downloads on a different disk drive letter, and have Steam re-verify the games everytime you roll back your WIndows system to the last good low-lag image -- while avoiding redownloading your new Steam games.

But be very, very, very scared of security issues. Old versions of Windows has a knack of being hacked. Always update your image regularly if you plan to use the re-image technique. Reflash your image, do Windows update (with most of your external hardware unplugged so potentially lag-defective Plug-n-Play drivers don't reinstall), save the image, test the image to make sure Windows Update wasn't the source of the latency addition. Then replug your devices one device at a time. Do another WIndows update. See if latency goes to shit again, then you can begin blaming those auto-update drivers.

It's truly hair pulling. Even small businesses (like mine) are faced with the possibility of wasting money hiring overkill extra QA service to chase just one obscure driver manufacturer bug that screwed up a single hardware register, interrupt, timer, algorithm, or whatnot.
Any windows regedit to stop windows updates? I wana start seriously testing this cuz its driving me crazy and depressed

Mugabi

Post by Mugabi » 01 Jun 2021, 16:19

n1zoo wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 13:56
Unreazz wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 13:24
n1zoo wrote:
I'm on ReviOS 1709 right now. But It's doesn't matter, because on win 7, 8 and 10 same issue. First day everything ok, than everything becomes super bad.
What kind of programs do you use? Do you use utorrent? Do u download files from internet? Do u use many accounts?