Every windows reinstall makes lag disappear in the first days

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Every windows reinstall makes lag disappear in the first days

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Jun 2021, 16:40

Mugabi wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 16:16
Any windows regedit to stop windows updates? I wana start seriously testing this cuz its driving me crazy and depressed
Defer Windows Updates:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 33f541e04d
This is the "Official Way". But it will buy you time to test your disk mages to trace your route causes.

Also in Start Box -> type "services.msc" to view your enabled services -> set "Windows Update" to "Disabled". This will temporarily disable Windows Updates, but it will automatically re-enable intermittently. But this can be an additional backstop to above.

If you pay extra for Windows 10 Professional, Windows Server 2012, or such -- you have more options. Install a Group Policy (like you would do for corporations) to disable windows updates. Learn how to use the Group Policy Editor! Like being your own business/corporation and being your own IT. Even better -- make sure you're as good a skilled admin as the 6-figure paid admins at a corporation. Always manually trigger a Windows Update install during major security advisories and/or schedule Windows Update (and update your image). It can be sobering to watch some security training videos, IT admin videos, etc. Good luck in your training/learning!

[///] [///] DISCLAIMER DANGER DANGER DANGER DISCLAIMER [\\\] [\\\]
DISCLAIMER: You may get security issues, viruses, ransomware attacks, blackmail based on private data found on your disk, data loss, goodbye to your family photo album, etc when you disable Windows updates. People angry at you in online gaming may be able to exploit a security vulnerability and attack you due to an unpatched security vulnerability that accidentally reveals your IP address and gives remote secretly hidden read/write/delete/install/execute access to your entire computer to an attacker, made easier by a script kiddie app.
Do at own risk. Blur Busters fully disclaims any responsibility of this advice. Always manually update your Windows software!

[///] [///] DISCLAIMER DANGER DANGER DANGER DISCLAIMER [\\\] [\\\]

Hope this helps!

You could read howtos / watch some free educational courses in Windows administration, to help you monitor this kind of stuff better, and make sure you take over responsibility of manually installing security updates. Activate a good external hardware firewall to make things harder too (no DMZ stuff). If you are fearful you may slack and fall weeks/months behind your security updates, keep important data and important web browsing (online banking etc) on a different protected computer if possible. Then falling a week behind in updates will usually be okay as long as there's no in-progress easy 0day exploits. But... stay on the ball!

After you do this, it is useful to learn how to open the engine hood of Windows and tinker with the engine via "Windows Administrative Tools" -> "Event Viewer" so you can study automatically installed software to better trace your driver culprit.
eventviewer.png
eventviewer.png (363.2 KiB) Viewed 4150 times
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

n1zoo

Post by n1zoo » 01 Jun 2021, 16:54

Mugabi wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 16:19
n1zoo wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 13:56
Unreazz wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 13:24
n1zoo wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 12:22
I have same thing. After OS Reinstall Pc super smooth, next day It's crap again. No idea tbh what's causing it
Are you on Windows 10 Pro ?
I'm on ReviOS 1709 right now. But It's doesn't matter, because on win 7, 8 and 10 same issue. First day everything ok, than everything becomes super bad.
What kind of programs do you use? Do you use utorrent? Do u download files from internet? Do u use many accounts?
So after OS reinstall I install chipset, but sometimes don't. Actually with chipset drivers or without this problem still exists. Then downloading web browser, GPU drivers, winrar and some games, usually It's csgo or valorant. After that my mouse responsiveness is decent. Next day I turn on pc and problem appears. I dont use any torrents, I don't create or login to any microsoft account in my windows. It's usually local account, or I just delete local and active Administrator through cmd. After some time you decide to reinstall your OS again and after GPU drivers install immediately can see good mouse movement and next day same crap.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Jun 2021, 17:04

n1zoo wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 16:54
After that my mouse responsiveness is decent. Next day I turn on pc and problem appears.
Some more debugging recommendations.

A. Check power cycle between installs

Try power cycling your computer (full shutoff, no reboots) between every 1 driver install. Sometimes problems does not appear until after a cold start, due to mudane reasons such as a performance-optimized register no longer being rewritten by a replaced driver, and the specific chip (chipset or USB or GPU or CPU or interrupts or timer or whatever) running suboptimally during the next full power cycle, instead of after a driver install and reboot.

Example Catch-22 Red Herring Wild Goose Chase:
1. "Driver A" optimizes a chip
2. You install new driver, "Driver B"
3. "Driver B" does not optimize a chip but the chip still "remembers" optimizations from "Driver A"
4. You power cycle (complete poweroff, unplugged, not sleep/hibernate/reboot)
5. Optimizations are "forgotten"

Many chips (chipsets, USB, Ethernet, WiFi, GPUs, etc) have a few bytes of RAM to remember optimizations, and sometimes that is remembered across driver upgrades, but only forgotten when computer is shut off / unplugged.

Possible Solutions:
(A) Turn your computer completely off, every time you install 1 software, or 1 driver, to try and track down the culprit. Remember to image your computer every time!
(B) If you have too much software and drivers, you can reduce number of computer shutdowns with a binary-search algorithm -- if you know how to use the "binary search" algorithm. (i.e. Install half of the software you installed last time, shutdown/unplug, startup and test for latency. Keep adding/removing halves until latency appears). Remember to re-image your install every binary search step, and rewind your image if you have to do a binary-search rewind! Preferably test using fast M.2 SSDs, so re-imaging can take seconds instead of minutes or hours.
TIP: The luxury of a reimaged Windows reinstall in mere seconds is possible with small images on fast M.2 SSDs, speeding up your iterative testing. Buy a cheap PCIe NVMe M.2 slot card if you don't have enough NVMe slots on your motherboard for ultra-high-speed disk imaging. A 100 gigabyte Windows install can be rolled back in less than 1 minute with a pair of 3 GB/sec NVMe gumsticks in separate slots.

--and also then--

B. Check hardware temperature too.

Turning off a computer cools down a computer.
There are some devices that may have more error correction latencies when cold (cold cable connections and cold solder joints that are semi-connected). Or even odd unexpected things like thermal expansion in cooling fans: electromagnetic interference from the brush-motor of a dirty cold fan that's grating/sparking a bit more noisily (spark gap transmitter EMI noise), and injecting bit-errors somewhere that generates latencies from error correction algorithms. Until thermal expansion heats it up and it spins more smoothly and generates less interference. Odd things like this has happened before.

Possible Solutions:
- Warm up computer for 1 hour before using it. See if latency disappears.
- Or keep computer powered 24/7, only do reboots, never shutdowns/sleeps. See if latency disappears longer.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Mugabi

Post by Mugabi » 01 Jun 2021, 17:22

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 17:04
n1zoo wrote:
After that my mouse responsiveness is decent. Next day I turn on pc and problem appears.
Some more debugging recommendations.

A. Check power cycle between installs

Try power cycling your computer (full shutoff, no reboots) between every 1 driver install. Sometimes problems does not appear until after a cold start, due to mudane reasons such as a performance-optimized register no longer being rewritten by a replaced driver, and the specific chip (chipset or USB or GPU or CPU or interrupts or timer or whatever) running suboptimally during the next full power cycle, instead of after a driver install and reboot.

Example Catch-22 Red Herring Wild Goose Chase:
1. "Driver A" optimizes a chip
2. You install new driver, "Driver B"
3. "Driver B" does not optimize a chip but the chip still "remembers" optimizations from "Driver A"
4. You power cycle (complete poweroff, unplugged, not sleep/hibernate/reboot)
5. Optimizations are "forgotten"

Many chips (chipsets, USB, Ethernet, WiFi, GPUs, etc) have a tiny amount of RAM (could be just a single kilobyte!) to temporarily remember settings/optimizations between power cycles. And sometimes it happens to be remembered across driver upgrades, but only forgotten when computer is shut off / unplugged.

Possible Solutions:
(A) Turn your computer completely off, every time you install 1 software, or 1 driver, to try and track down the culprit. Remember to image your computer every time!
(B) If you have too much software and drivers, you can reduce number of computer shutdowns with a binary-search algorithm -- if you know how to use the "binary search" algorithm. (i.e. Install half of the software you installed last time, shutdown/unplug, startup and test for latency. Keep adding/removing halves until latency appears). Remember to re-image your install every binary search step, and rewind your image if you have to do a binary-search rewind! Preferably test using fast M.2 SSDs, so re-imaging can take seconds instead of minutes or hours.
TIP: The luxury of a reimaged Windows reinstall in mere seconds is possible with small images on fast M.2 SSDs, speeding up your iterative testing. Buy a cheap PCIe NVMe M.2 slot card if you don't have enough NVMe slots on your motherboard for ultra-high-speed disk imaging. A 100 gigabyte Windows install can be rolled back in less than 1 minute with a pair of 3 GB/sec NVMe gumsticks in separate slots.

--and also then--

B. Check hardware temperature too.

Turning off a computer cools down a computer.
There are some devices that may have more error correction latencies when cold (cold cable connections and cold solder joints that are semi-connected). Or even odd unexpected things like thermal expansion in cooling fans: electromagnetic interference from the brush-motor of a dirty cold fan that's grating/sparking a bit more noisily (spark gap transmitter EMI noise), and injecting bit-errors somewhere that generates latencies from error correction algorithms. Until thermal expansion heats it up and it spins more smoothly and generates less interference. Odd things like this has happened before.

Possible Solutions:
- Warm up computer for 1 hour before using it. See if latency disappears.
- Or keep computer powered 24/7, only do reboots, never shutdowns/sleeps. See if latency disappears longer.
Interesting point regarding hardware temperature, i have 4 fans in my computer running full speed(using bios), two case fans, one cpu fan (noctua nh15s) and cpu stock fan (comes with cpu but weak) that i use for case fan as well, one of them is making noise. Is using all 4 fans at full speed constantly could cause some issues in pc after while?
I also fear that i installed the cpu cooler incorrectly in my cpu since it was my first pc build, I didn't install cooler on cpu at once after applying thermal paste, it took me 30 tries to successfully do it (first pc build and noctua coolers lol). I simply wish, i never built my pc in the beginning, i wish i made the shop i bought my pc from build it for me and also make them install windows for me.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Jun 2021, 17:24

Mugabi wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 17:22
Interesting point regarding hardware temperature, i have 4 fans in my computer running full speed(using bios), two case fans, one cpu fan (noctua nh15s) and cpu stock fan (comes with cpu but weak) that i use for case fan as well, one of them is making noise. Is using all 4 fans at full speed constantly could cause some issues in pc after while?
I also fear that i installed the cpu cooler incorrectly in my cpu since it was my first pc build, I didn't install cooler on cpu at once after applying thermal paste, it took me 30 tries to successfully do it (first pc build and noctua coolers lol). I simply wish, i never built my pc in the beginning, i wish i made the shop i bought my pc from build it for me and also make them install windows for me.
Properly working high quality fans are no problem.
It's that 1 bad secretly-defective apple that ruins things for everybody.

Be noted -- it may not be temperature -- it may be item (A).

But it's possible for both item (A) and (B) to be simultaneously problems.

Mugabi

Post by Mugabi » 01 Jun 2021, 17:29

n1zoo wrote:
Mugabi wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 16:19
n1zoo wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 13:56
Unreazz wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 13:24

Are you on Windows 10 Pro ?
I'm on ReviOS 1709 right now. But It's doesn't matter, because on win 7, 8 and 10 same issue. First day everything ok, than everything becomes super bad.
What kind of programs do you use? Do you use utorrent? Do u download files from internet? Do u use many accounts?
So after OS reinstall I install chipset, but sometimes don't. Actually with chipset drivers or without this problem still exists. Then downloading web browser, GPU drivers, winrar and some games, usually It's csgo or valorant. After that my mouse responsiveness is decent. Next day I turn on pc and problem appears. I dont use any torrents, I don't create or login to any microsoft account in my windows. It's usually local account, or I just delete local and active Administrator through cmd. After some time you decide to reinstall your OS again and after GPU drivers install immediately can see good mouse movement and next day same crap.
It looks like im gona make a partition windows install in my ssd specifically for csgo, im gona try to disable updates using ways mentioned above, gona try to not download any single thing, and just use one account, that's what i did 2weeks ago and it worked great in the first three days..as soon as i get lag,im gona reinstall immediately,not gona do the mistake of trying to tweak shhit again and spend tons of hours, immediate reinstall is what im gon do

Mr1991

Post by Mr1991 » 01 Jun 2021, 20:47

When doing a fresh install, make sure you unplug your Ethernet, or turn off router if you’re using wireless, Windows likes to automatically download a bunch of drivers like Intel management engine interface (if ur on intel ofc), and Microsoft Hyper-V virtualisation driver, go into services, not only do you want to disable “Windows Update”, there’s usually more depending which version your on, if earlier builds, there will be “Update Orchestrator”, and later builds they like to throw in even more, if you’re on Home and not Pro, don’t worry you can download Group Policy Editor here: https://m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/ ... ition.html

In Group Policy Editor, go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update, the Configure automatic updates, and click disabled, just for safe measure, Microsoft are desperate to push updates, and seem to sly their way in sometimes.

Here is how you can disable automatic driver updates, if you don’t know how: https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disa ... windows-10

Make sure you restart after checking that ^, I’ve turned my net back on before without restarting and it still installed a bunch of crap, I’d personally disable windows defender through group policy editor too.

Mugabi

Post by Mugabi » 01 Jun 2021, 21:43

Mr1991 wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 20:47
When doing a fresh install, make sure you unplug your Ethernet, or turn off router if you’re using wireless, Windows likes to automatically download a bunch of drivers like Intel management engine interface (if ur on intel ofc), and Microsoft Hyper-V virtualisation driver, go into services, not only do you want to disable “Windows Update”, there’s usually more depending which version your on, if earlier builds, there will be “Update Orchestrator”, and later builds they like to throw in even more, if you’re on Home and not Pro, don’t worry you can download Group Policy Editor here: https://m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/ ... ition.html

In Group Policy Editor, go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update, the Configure automatic updates, and click disabled, just for safe measure, Microsoft are desperate to push updates, and seem to sly their way in sometimes.

Here is how you can disable automatic driver updates, if you don’t know how: https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disa ... windows-10

Make sure you restart after checking that ^, I’ve turned my net back on before without restarting and it still installed a bunch of crap, I’d personally disable windows defender through group policy editor too.
Thank you so much for this, ill indeed do this and hope for the best. If i do all of these, would windows update after awhile or is this 100% gona stop windows from installing new updates!

Mr1991

Post by Mr1991 » 01 Jun 2021, 22:25

Should 100% stop it, has worked for me on 1709/ltsc

Bobo

Post by Bobo » 02 Jun 2021, 00:15

If that doesn`t work, try this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
"DoNotConnectToWindowsUpdateInternetLocations"=dword:00000001
"WUServer"="\" \""
"WUStatusServer"="\" \""