Can excessive anti-aliasing cause any input lag?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Dizzy

Can excessive anti-aliasing cause any input lag?

Post by Dizzy » 06 Jun 2021, 16:20

Assuming you're still stable at your frame rate cap, can too much anti-aliasing (or any other graphical settings) add input lag? The reason I ask is because the jagged lines in rocket league are horrible so I've been cranking up the AA a ridiculous amount. Between the configuration files and nvidia control panel, I'm currently using 4 different types of AA with their highest options. Most other video settings are at the minimal/pro settings but the jagged lines drive me crazy.

Brainlet

Re: Can excessive anti-aliasing cause any input lag?

Post by Brainlet » 06 Jun 2021, 17:26

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZRuFaFZh5M&t=817s

The question in general is: will you play better with better graphics? On one hand, if you can't see enemies, lower latency is useless. On the other hand, if it doesn't improve visibility, better graphics are useless.
Starting point for beginners: PC Optimization Hub

TTT

Post by TTT » 06 Jun 2021, 18:33

I generally play with it off at 1080p and just deal with the jaggies.

I don't know if its input lag but with any type on it feels like it does become a bit more sluggish with the input. (And its not a change in FPS that is causing it).

SMAA 1x is usually ok visually as well but anything higher creates blur in the distance which is bad for competitive online games.

Dizzy

Post by Dizzy » 06 Jun 2021, 23:09

Brainlet wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 17:26
The question in general is: will you play better with better graphics? On one hand, if you can't see enemies, lower latency is useless. On the other hand, if it doesn't improve visibility, better graphics are useless.
It's not strictly about enemy visibility. If something looks so bad that it flashes/moves it can be a distraction. Eliminating that is not useless.

Dizzy

Post by Dizzy » 06 Jun 2021, 23:10

TTT wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 18:33

I don't know if its input lag but with any type on it feels like it does become a bit more sluggish with the input. (And its not a change in FPS that is causing it).

SMAA 1x is usually ok visually as well but anything higher creates blur in the distance which is bad for competitive online games.
Are you referring to rocket league or games in general?

slaver01

Post by slaver01 » 07 Jun 2021, 03:30

Dizzy wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 16:20
Assuming you're still stable at your frame rate cap, can too much anti-aliasing (or any other graphical settings) add input lag? The reason I ask is because the jagged lines in rocket league are horrible so I've been cranking up the AA a ridiculous amount. Between the configuration files and nvidia control panel, I'm currently using 4 different types of AA with their highest options. Most other video settings are at the minimal/pro settings but the jagged lines drive me crazy.
Low graphics = more fps = less input delay

TTT

Post by TTT » 07 Jun 2021, 06:18

Dizzy wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 23:10
TTT wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 18:33

Are you referring to rocket league or games in general?
No just games.

TTT

Post by TTT » 07 Jun 2021, 06:22

slaver01 wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 03:30
Dizzy wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 16:20
Low graphics = more fps = less input delay
Yea I said I'm not talking about higher fps influence, lock the fps ingame and turning AA on still makes it feel more sluggish.

AA is literally re-processing your game with whichever AA you turn on.

Brainlet

Post by Brainlet » 07 Jun 2021, 07:06

Dizzy wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 23:09
Brainlet wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 17:26
It's not strictly about enemy visibility. If something looks so bad that it flashes/moves it can be a distraction. Eliminating that is not useless.
My post was mostly referring to shooters but the question still applies. If you play better as a result, go for it.
Starting point for beginners: PC Optimization Hub

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 07 Jun 2021, 08:16

Anti-aliasing, like any other graphics setting, will increase frame latency. Whether it's anti-aliasing that does it or shadow quality or perhaps ambient occlusion, or even resolution, doesn't matter though. It's just a graphics setting like any other. Why did you pick anti-aliasing out specifically?
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.