Can excessive anti-aliasing cause any input lag?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
FPSMaster

Re: Can excessive anti-aliasing cause any input lag?

Post by FPSMaster » 12 Sep 2021, 16:37

How do I know, if you didn't explain it in the first place? And what do you mean with "more work for the frame"? The guy asked about the input latency of an certain graphic setting, and I gave him my answer.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 12 Sep 2021, 16:57

FPSMaster wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 16:37
And what do you mean with "more work for the frame"?
He's saying that even if you aren't GPU-limited, GPU-heavy settings will still increase render time, but as I said in my previous comment in this thread, that's not what most consider or refer to as traditional "input lag," since it's part of the render time in this case, and not actually delaying delivery of an already rendered frame (which can be much more impactful).

Basically, GPU-heavy settings lower the average framerate, as each frame now takes longer to render whatever extra setting (AA, higher res shadows, more complex lighting, etc) is enabled.

I guess a clearer way to put it to the OP, is if the AA isn't significantly lowering your average framerate when enabled, it's not notably increasing your "input lag," which in this case, again, would be directly due to a lower sustained framerate.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Sep 2021, 14:39

FPSMaster wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 16:37
How do I know, if you didn't explain it in the first place? And what do you mean with "more work for the frame"? The guy asked about the input latency of an certain graphic setting, and I gave him my answer.
Input lag is a long, complex chain.

Crudely simplified chain:

The input lag chain is affected by many weak links.
Here, frame rendering is done by GPU.
Frametime is one of the many sources of GPU lag.

Frame rendering time (frametime) is one of the latencies in the latency chain.
The longer it takes to render a frame = The lower the frame rate = More lag
The longer a frame waits for the monitor (e.g. VSYNC ON) = more lag
More work for frame = lower frame rate = more lag

Enabling AA lowers the frame rate, which increases lag.
Increasing resolution lowers the frame rate, which increases lag
Adding AA lowers the frame rate, which increase lag.

50fps = 1/50sec = 20 milliseconds frame rendering time per frame
100fps = 1/100sec = 10 milliseconds frame rendering time per frame
200fps = 1/200sec = 5 milliseconds frame rendering time per frame

Frame rendering time: Imagine GPU as simply a very fast electronic artist.
The GPU needs time to "paint" and "draw" a frame.
The GPU has to repeat this many times a second.
The monitor has to wait for the GPU to finish painting a masterpiece of art (one stationary picture, aka "frame")
At 100fps, the GPU is painting 100 art masterpieces per second. Monitor only needs to wait 1/100sec for each masterpiece.
You want prettier graphics? More work for the GPU. The GPU needs more time to paint/draw each frame.
You increase detail level lots. The frame rate goes down. The monitor does more waiting for the GPU.
At 50fps, the GPU is painting 50 art masterpieces per second. Monitor now needs to wait longer at 1/50sec for each masterpiece.
Prettier can be via AA, or raytracing, or extra detail, or better shadows, or all the above, or anything that adds more work per frame.
Anything that increases frame time = lower frame rate = more lag.

More work for frame = more frame time = lower frame rate = more lag
Adjusting ANY graphics detail bigger/slower (including AA) = lower frame rate = more lag
Anything that lowers frame rate = more lag.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

MT_

Post by MT_ » 25 Sep 2021, 17:13

In a nutshell, we have two example scenarios:

Cap game at 240 fps with low settings
Cap game at 240 fps with high settings

(lets say both 50% gpu usage)

Input lag is equal.

Lets say the same scenario but >80% gpu utilization, frames can start to queue yet the target framerate of 240 fps is still maintained.

Result: Potentially more Input lag, but not due to render time/longer frame times. Frames are still 4.1666 ms each.

There are multiple causes of increased input lag.
LTSC 21H2 Post-install Script
https://github.com/Marctraider/LiveScript-LTSC-21H2

System: MSI Z390 MEG Ace - 2080 Super (300W mod) - 9900K 5GHz Fixed Core (De-lid) - 32GB DDR3-3733-CL18 - Xonar Essence STX II