Space heaters possible damage to computer/electricity

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Mugabi

Space heaters possible damage to computer/electricity

Post by Mugabi » 12 Jun 2021, 04:06

Hello, i have been using a strong heater next to my computer for 6+ months, i only turn it up for like 10-15 minutes or even less to heat my room then i shut it down. I have noticed after use, my pc is really slow, there's huge input lag and everything seems to be running slow. Does this mean my pc became laggy only when space heater is being used or it has been damaged? A fresh windows reinstall always makes my pc really fast, i wonder if using the space heaters and turning it off and on (it was connected to same socket as my pc, i was a retarded thinking its fine) would mess with windows settings and cause some commands/timing values to change and therefore make the system slow? Or do you guys think its a hardware kind of damage?

Links i have found discussing strange phenomenas when using space heater next to pc

https://amp.reddit.com/r/techsupport/co ... _computer/

https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/co ... uit_as_pc/

https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupportgor ... which_was/

https://amp.reddit.com/r/techsupport/co ... n_my_room/

n1zoo

Re: Space heaters possible damage to computer/electricity

Post by n1zoo » 12 Jun 2021, 05:55

No way that heaters can cause this lag. My heater is not connected to the socket but I still have this lag. It's definitely teeth implants, not heater.

f1ndus

Post by f1ndus » 12 Jun 2021, 06:27

n1zoo wrote:
12 Jun 2021, 05:55
No way that heaters can cause this lag. My heater is not connected to the socket but I still have this lag. It's definitely teeth implants, not heater.
you are fixed bro, why are you still there? if i fixed my issue, i never come back.. or 7 years issue with CPU fan doesnt work anymore?

n1zoo

Post by n1zoo » 12 Jun 2021, 06:58

f1ndus wrote:
12 Jun 2021, 06:27
n1zoo wrote:
you are fixed bro, why are you still there? if i fixed my issue, i never come back.. or 7 years issue with CPU fan doesnt work anymore?
This forum is one of the best place where I can lift my mood drastically, I'm sorry.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Jun 2021, 12:49

n1zoo wrote:
Stop trolling. Your warning. Rules will be enforced.
Mugabi wrote:
12 Jun 2021, 04:06
Hello, i have been using a strong heater next to my computer for 6+ months, i only turn it up for like 10-15 minutes or even less to heat my room then i shut it down. I have noticed after use, my pc is really slow, there's huge input lag and everything seems to be running slow. Does this mean my pc became laggy only when space heater is being used or it has been damaged? A fresh windows reinstall always makes my pc really fast, i wonder if using the space heaters and turning it off and on (it was connected to same socket as my pc, i was a retarded thinking its fine) would mess with windows settings and cause some commands/timing values to change and therefore make the system slow? Or do you guys think its a hardware kind of damage?
Cause and effect is difficult to troubleshoot without advanced equipment.

The most common is heaters cause electricity spikes during turning on/off, which can reverberate to the computer's power supply -- and disrupt the computer because of a voltage swing.

The less common is interference from the heater, but most heaters are simply resistive. However, due to high wattages of heaters, there is a fairly strong 60Hz magnetic field coming from some of them which might inject stray voltages into a nearby computer, triggering all sorts of error correction.

The poor power factor correction of a cheap power supply (not a 80Plus Platinum power supply) can cause weird interactions with ANY high power device plugged into the same power bar (even a second computer). Lack of, or poor power factor correction in power supplies (cheap computer power supplies like the unrated generic power supplies that have no 80Plus rating) can make it difficult for a computer to resist adjacent power loads.

In crappy power factors, the AC sine wave of electricity distorts to weird waves, and some cheap computer power supplies can have difficulties turning that to clean 5V and 12V electricity to the internal components of a computer, creating all kinds of weirdnesses. It may be manageable for a computer without other loads on the same power outlet, then it becomes harder for a suboptimal power supply -- without power factor correction -- sharing another intense load (such as a heater).

So the usual broken record: Always use a high quality power supply, and try to keep high power devices away from the same power devices, if you need to compensate for some suboptimal electricity supply.

Also from "damage" from heaters, that's rare -- it would simply be from power spikes or strong AC-field injection. But if heater is at least over a meter away that likely wouldn't be an issue; since electromagnetic-injection damage would have to be done at very close distances.

Setting aside the stupid and dumb conspiracy and tinfilhattery -- I focus on the science part -- the electricity and electromagnetic behaviours and the real problems they entail.

Electricity doesn't cause lag directly. It's a large series of cause-and-effects (like a Rube Goldberg machine) where bad electricity may dominoe as a cause-and-effect. Usually from higher amounts of error correction fighting through interference, is the cause of latency (aka error correction algorithm latency), where to some devices operating suboptimally (with higher amounts of error correction, from noise), which then manifests itself indirectly as latency. So saying "lag from electricity" is too simplistic, and I'd rather electronics/semiconductor/university-educated people to be replying to these kinds of topics from now on.

Generally -- because of the non-Blur-Busters audience this attracts -- I'd rather people talking about other causes of lag. Unless they've got a good training of science/physics from university to troubleshoot electricity-induced computer latency problems as professionally as those employed (paid) at places like NVIDIA etc, to do this kind of stuff (the field of EMI mitigation work in the design of circuit boards).

Those who have good EMI measuring experience and circuit board experience -- preferably some job experiences included -- then I welcome to discuss EMI lag / remedies / etc in a new thread with educated (proper-scientific/physics) terminology and observations.

Blur Busters must hold to a higher standard. This thread closed is as being not useful for continued discussion since there are not enough academics here to help turn this discussion around. (My writing should answer OP's needs, making further discussion no longer useful unless there's academics/electronics/circuit professionals involved to add useful data).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!