Would 2 ISP connections increasing the gaming performance ?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Unreazz

Would 2 ISP connections increasing the gaming performance ?

Post by Unreazz » 15 Jun 2021, 08:58

hey folks,

maybe its a dumb question, i dont know but i was asking myself.

its possible to coop 2 internet connections together through a special router, I was wondering if this would in any way increase the game performance ? Does this make sense? or is it rather useless?

yonaxsangi

Re: Would 2 ISP connections increasing the gaming performance ?

Post by yonaxsangi » 15 Jun 2021, 11:03

Unreazz wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 08:58
hey folks,

its possible to coop 2 internet connections together through a special router, I was wondering if this would in any way increase the game performance ? Does this make sense? or is it rather useless?
even if u will connect 2 isp to a router it will use only one specific isp so its useless

victor910

Post by victor910 » 19 Jun 2021, 20:24

Unreazz wrote:
I was wondering if this would in any way increase the game performance ?
no

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 21 Jun 2021, 01:21

Unreazz wrote:
hey folks,

This is called bonding, and I happen to use that. Not 2 different ISPs, but two different internet connections from the same ISP. The benefit is more bandwidth, which translates to higher download and upload speeds. However, this does not decrease the network latency. It's the same at best, but can be worse.

So, no. It does not improve gaming, since network latency is the important factor here. It only improves download/upload speed.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 21 Jun 2021, 02:23

RealNC wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 01:21
Unreazz wrote:
hey folks,

This is called bonding, and I happen to use that. Not 2 different ISPs, but two different internet connections from the same ISP. The benefit is more bandwidth, which translates to higher download and upload speeds. However, this does not decrease the network latency. It's the same at best, but can be worse.

So, no. It does not improve gaming, since network latency is the important factor here. It only improves download/upload speed.
It is very easy to combine 2 or more different isp and balance the load.
Concerning the benefits for games.
Having several isp, you can choose the route with the lowest ping, with the help of a set of routing rules and the netwatch tool, you can automate the selection.
In the event of an accident with one provider, automatic switching to another provider.

The summation of speeds occurs only for multi connections.
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

MT_

Post by MT_ » 21 Jun 2021, 09:15

Totally depends on the quality line of your connection and what routes your ISP is using (There's something like cheap routes depending on the ISP).

I have multiple average connections here (Or intermittent) and I use a redundant line to a self-owned VPS in the cloud to bond two (or more) connections together over a Wireguard UDP tunnel. (Not load balancing, but mirroring operation / packet duplication)

Basically this means that if one line drops packets (or has latency spikes) the other line still successfully sends packets back and forth.

The worst thing that could happen is udp packet out of order delivery but practically this is a non issue. (Could even compensate for this with a small buffer on interfaces or something)

(My method is similar to Speedify redundant mode but I'm not dependent on this cloud service and my setup is more reliable)
LTSC 21H2 Post-install Script
https://github.com/Marctraider/LiveScript-LTSC-21H2

System: MSI Z390 MEG Ace - 2080 Super (300W mod) - 9900K 5GHz Fixed Core (De-lid) - 32GB DDR3-3733-CL18 - Xonar Essence STX II